Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As promised here comes the range report of the PT609: first I field stripped the weapon, cleaned and lubed it. The disassembly wasn't as easy as my FN P9 because of the lack of a desassemble lever. I carefully inspected all surfaces and reassembled it. I took 200 rounds of Sellier Bellot 115 gr fmj range ammo with me.
PT609 positives:
- Very comfortable shooter, I had thought a very light handgun had to jump a lot, not the PT609!
- Very good accuracy at 10 yards.
- Fast follow up shots, fast and precise double taps.
- The trigger is long but smooth, around 6-7 pounds pull.
- The size is perfect for deep concealment.
- Very (I mean it) light! Perfect for long ccw.
- The finnish is asthetically pleasing.
- Big and nice sights
- 13 rounds capacity magazine!

Negatives:
- 4 failures to fire due to magazine drop while shooting. Careful inspection of the gun denotes a weak magazine release spring or a too big magazine release (for so a small gun), I had that failure too with a PT111 so I don't know yet if it is the gun or my hands (my hands are big!). I'll check that later and let you know.
- It came with one magazine only.
- Difficult to disassemble and assemble. Well, nowadays mostly all guns come with takedown levers so it makes no sense Taurus had to save money on that.

Bottom line : I'll stick with my FN P9 for ccw until I debug this gun.

Next weekend comes second range report...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Where the hell did you get that and do you want to sell it yet?

I remember this line from a movie once that said.

I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE!!!!

·
32,653 Posts
It would be a used gun here in the U.S.A. or a go to Brazil and buy if a police officer. Could be civilians can get one of those over there. Getting back into the U.S. could be a major hurdle with that gun if purchased in Brazil.

·
32,653 Posts
These guns can be bought overseas by civilains.Just not normally in Brazil. In other countries these are available to the public. Guess that could have been clarified better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Qwiks draw is on the trail...
As you see in the pictures the gun doesn't has Taurus USA marks...
And MPanova, the gun is not on sale, sorry...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Second range report of the PT609:
Again I took 200 rounds of Sellier Bellot 115 gr fmj range ammo with me.
Positives:
- Continues to impress me with its accuracy!
- Again fast follow up shots, fast and precise double taps.
- I like those big sights

Negatives:
- More failures to fire due to magazine drop while shooting (almost a failure on every magazine). I still believe a weak magazine release spring has something to do with these failures. I took extreme care not to touch the magazine release while shooting (i'm very positive about it).

Bottom line : I'm beginning to worry and I'll stick with my FN P9 for ccw yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I talked of the magazine problem with a local gunsmith and he concured with me about a weak release magazine button spring. He took a magazine and extended the wall side wich holds with the internal part of the magazine button, 100 rounds and not a failure. The FN P-9 still my CCW piece tough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, Ikkidd..your range report is very encouraging........i am all the way over in another part of the world (Pakistan) and considering buying the 609 titanium for concealed carry and self defense. However i have been told that for some reason there are a lot more FTFs in the titanium version versus the 609 pro in steel.

I have thought about this and cannot think of any reason why this might be the case.....also, i am considering using Serbian manufactured hollow points.....have you tried HPs on the 609 yet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts