Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, income tax season can be a real curse. It's been awhile since I bought my last gun. I've always wanted a straight .38 and considered S&W, Taurus and Ruger. When I (no arm twisting needed) went to my local gun shop. I noticed that they had all of the above on display. S&W was out, price was high. Ruger SP101 (one of my favorites) was a bit heavy, but I still love the gun. Then I came across the M89. I asked to see it. At first she felt stiff. After a few minutes of handling it, she began to smooth out. I was torn between the Ruger and the Taurus. After pocketing both revolvers, the clear choice winner was the M85. It felt lighter and it carried well. I still feel that the SP101 is a great gun, but it was not the best choice for me today.

It was also important to me that my wife could use it. My other guns are a PT 145, Ruger GP100 and P89. My wife has real trouble racking the slide and the 357 is too much gun for her. The M85 also makes for a good backup piece (you know, in case I gotta jam (The Breakfast Club reference).

No, who can tell me what would be a good conceal holster for my new little critter. Pocket or IWB?

PS- I'm really fighting the urge to re-purchase a blued PT111 that I regretted letting go last year. It may be a loosing battle.

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
Yep, I love my little Ultra Lite for pocket carry. Things got great accuracy and oh so smooth DA trigger. I like the SP101, too, but it's strictly and IWB gun, almost as heavy as a K frame of equal barrel length. I have a M66 3" .357 if I wanna carry IWB. I own 5 Rugers, two autos and three single action revolvers. They build one TOUGH, quality revolver, but they just don't have anything to compare to Taurus for affordable CCW. And, yeah, while Smith and Wesson is quality, the price puts me off. The only affordable one is the 642 and I've been tempted by that one, a hammerless pocket revolver. But, I like my M85UL so much, I don't know if I really want the 642. I've always had something I wanted more, so I never bought one, besides, I like to be able to shoot single action if I want.

The little Ultra Lite is a class act for a CCW .38 revolver. You done good. :D Any holster that will work with a J frame smith M36 will work with a Taurus M85. I have a Law Concealment Systems pouch for mine and use it both IWB and in a pocket and it works great, but I've been thinking of looking for a more dedicated pocket holster for the gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the inexpensive Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster to work quite well with my 85SSUL. Works fine in both jeans and slacks at least for me. It stays in the pocket when the gun is drawn and doesn't print too much.
I just got a Fist Inc. #1 Clip holster for IWB, not tuckable, and so far so good. However, I don't have much time with it, yet.
I'm also considering the High Noon Holsters, Hidden Ally. I've read some good reviews about it. There was a recent thread here that you could do a search for.
All of these are on the "lower end" at least as far as price but they work well IMO.

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
If you want a tuckable, I have a Mitch Rosen Workman for my little Kel Tec that is superb. It's pricy and there's a waiting list, but it's a comfortable all day holster and a work of art.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 85 tends to wind up in a Safariland pocket holster. It works fine in jeans, but in other pants, it can be a bit heavy to stuff into a pocket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts