Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only 200 rounds of WWB 230 gr fmj, the lips on one of the magazines cracked (both sides). I changed out the magazine (to a Chip McCormick) and now the gun is experiencing failures to feed. Prior to contacting Taurus directly, does anyone have suggestions on how I might rectify this condition? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I assume you've cleaned and lubed the gun, if not thats a good place as there could be some assorted gunk in the system slowing things down. Beyond that, try different brands of 1911 magazine. 1911's can be picky as to what they like. I'd suggest trying either a Wilson magazine or a Tripp Research magazine. Now, you don't have to get the mags direct from the maker, many places will carry said mags. You can also try to find the standard miltary/generic 1911 mag that usually run several bucks at shows.
http://www.trippresearch.com/
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_1911_part_acc.htm

Another thought, how is the bullet orientated when it fails to feed? Is it jammed at too much of an up angle, down angle etc.

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I would like to see the stats, but most problems with autos is the part that leaves the gun... the magazine. They are vulnerable by their very nature. However, 1911 magazines are probably the single most common magazine on the planet and you should be able to buy or borrow enough to determine which ones work the best in your gun.

I've put over 1,000 through my gun with no problems from either the factory, a Chip McCormick and a 7 rnd Colt. The Only problem I have is that my gun just gobbles them up so fast that you feel like your could spend the day reloading magazines once they're empty!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did clean the gun before my second trip to the range (100 rounds). I have cleaned it again. It could be that the feedramp go dirty because the little line that the bullet makes in the dirt was not straight, but off to one side. I have one more Taurus mag and I cleaned the Chip McCormick mag so maybe I'll have better luck this weekend. Thanks for your responses and the tips on what magazines are decent.

The failures to feed were such that the bullet never left the magazine, but were only partially on their way to the chamber.

·
Registered
60 Posts
im using CMC shooting stars on mine, no failures here. but sadly, both my taurus factory mags do already have cracked feed lips, but they still function fine.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Just curiouse did it like the Taurus mag or did they fail to feed to? Maybe your gun just like taurus mags. If its not the mag then it's the feed ramp, that's a little tougher fix. It should be polished smooth if not it might be grabing on something and stopping. Odds are its the mag. If a new taurus mag doesn't do the trick you might have to send it in because the feed ramp fix I generally do to other 1911's will definetly void the warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pistol liked the original Taurus mag just fine until the feed lips cracked. Then it was a bit tricky to get the mag out because the lips were spread too far for a smooth disconnect. I've cleaned the pistol real well and will try the other Taurus mag and see how it does. However, I did send a letter off to Taurus's Repair Dept. asking for input.
Thanks again to all for their comments.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
1911's can be picky as to what they like.
I agree 100%
My Colt Commander was very picky, i tried the factory and many after market mags.. I can't remember what brand worked, but is was an ordeal.. i did have 8 round that was silver colored, it worked the best :rolleyes..maybe it had a stronger spring..Dunno

Also it did not like certain shapes of bullets, when i shot FMJ all the mags worked fine, i ended up using Black Talons for my carry rounds..
seems that 1911 pistols have many little Quirks but they are still a great gun( i will have another one day) :)
Good Luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chip Mccormick mags usually work very well. I have 12 of them and they run great in my kimbers. Let us know what happens when you use your other taurus mag this weekend. Here's a guy that knows 1911 pistols backwards and forwards. He is on the highroad forum. Here's his info so can either post on the forum or contact him. http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=5188 Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a hold of a Chip McCormick magazine and had a good (but not perfect) range session. I had one failure to extract, one crunched casing which did eject, and 2 failures to feed out of 100 rounds. When I disassembled the pistol to clean it, I used a magnifying glass to look at the parts and here's what I found.
1. a little bit of enrustation on the extractor, which cleaned off just fine.
2. some discoloration on the feed ramp where the bullets track up into the chamber. a very conservative buffing cleaned this up nicely.

Hopefully these things will alleviate the occasional inconsistencies.

I've got a Wilson mag and an Ed Brown mag on order. The quest for the perfect mag for this pistol begins.

Hope everyone had a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
They aren't shown on Taurus's site but I would think so. But, since they charge $30 to 39 for their other mags I'd think that they are about the same price. I hope I'm wrong on that but...

Steelheart

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got an opportunity to go to the range yesterday and try out a Wilson 8-round magazine with the result that I had no failures of any kind! So, I'm feeling like my PT1911 is back in business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts