Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taurus 94.JPG
Picked it up last night, was to late to shoot so I got out a Diet Mountain Dew and toke it apart. Some people say these are hard to get apart but I had no problem getting it down to parts. Didn't take the cylinder apart though, maybe that's where it gets hard. The inside had a ton of oil and globs of grease. Cleaned it all out with Simple Clean and covered every inch in Ballistol then wiped down, drops ofMiltec-1 on pins and contact points. Got everything together and and its running smooth. Maybe even smoother then before but that could just be placebo effect. Must say to, this is my first Taurus, bought sight unseen from the internet. The fit and finish is as good as my modern S&Ws, the bluing is deep and a rich black. For sure I'm gonna pick up another Taurus as nice as this one is built.

Got it to the range today and wow I forgot how little .22 kicks. Haha, felt like Robocop sucking up the recoil. Sent 300 rounds of Super X down range, while not my favorite its what walmart had at the time. Had 3 FTF out of that, all 3 of them had solid impacts on the rim and once ran though again fired without a problem. Once I got used to the sights I was getting solid groups at 7 yards. 99% of my shooting was single action as that double action trigger while smooth is SUPER heavy. This brings me to my question, is there a community proven spring combo that will lighten that bad boy up with causing all sorts of FTF problems? If I could lighten up that trigger (even the hammer is heavy pulling it back to single action) i'd be 100% in love with this gun.

Only other little problem, got a slight rattle to it. Looks like its the transfer bar hitting the back of the firing pin. It did this before I toke it apart as well. Anyway to quiet that down?

·
Registered
398 Posts
By virtue of having the priming compound in the rim, rimfires require a heavy mainspring; hence the heavy trigger. You saw this with the three FTF's. My recommendation is to purchase a brick of the cheapest .22 ammo you can find. Spend enough time at the range to burn up the entire brick (double action only). Two things will happen (1) the action parts will bed and become smoother (2) the muscles in your trigger finger will become stronger and better trained. By then it will feel light and smooth.

Don't worry about the transfer bar rattle, it is normal; it means your revolver is operating normally.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Taurus revolvers do not respond well to spring swaps or spring modifications at least that has been my experience. I have swapped in Wolff springs, trimmed stock springs and trimmed and swapped Wolff springs. Sometimes it works for a little while until the springs loose some rebound then unwanted results start to occur. I would take the other gentleman's advice and get a brick of ammo and "shoot it in". To compliment that allot of dry firing.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Wolff springs can lighten the DA trigger pull a bit, but .22 rimfires still require a substantially heavier trigger than centerfire guns for reliability.

I use Wolff main springs on my stainless M-94 but put in a little elbow grease to slick up the action which goes a long way to improve the DA trigger pull.

I removed the main spring, and using "Mother's Mag Polish", a buffing wheel and a dremel tool, I gave the main spring strut a mirror finish; then reassembled the gun.

The improved DA trigger pull is a joy...

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You got two great suggestions. Mothers mag polish and a whole lot of ammo!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Sorry that I can't offer you any assistance with your questions, but I just wanted to jump in and welcome you to the forum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dry firing?

Taurus revolvers do not respond well to spring swaps or spring modifications at least that has been my experience. I have swapped in Wolff springs, trimmed stock springs and trimmed and swapped Wolff springs. Sometimes it works for a little while until the springs loose some rebound then unwanted results start to occur. I would take the other gentleman's advice and get a brick of ammo and "shoot it in". To compliment that allot of dry firing.
I am a newby gun owner and one gun I bought was a Taurus Ultra-Lite Nine revolver. I wish the trigger pull could be lightened for my wife but it looks like that might be out. I also wish the hammer could be replaced with a longer hammer to give her a little more leverage.

But to my question... "To compliment that, a lot of dry firing."

I was told not to dry fire it because dry firing could damage the firing pin. What's the real story? I would like to dry fire it at home just to be able to get a better feel for it outside the range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts