Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Taurus PT 840 today. I opted for the 4 inch barrel cuz I liked the feel of it. Got it home cleaned it good with some Hoppes #9 solvent and lubricated the slide and tracks. Took it to the range and put about 90 rounds through it with no problems at all. Gun performed flawlessly with Winchester 165 grain White box FMJ's. I was shooting a target about 25-30 yards out. It's one of the metal rings that swing when shot. I only hit it 12 out of 90 but it was my first time with the gun and first gun in that caliber. It is actually the first gun I have ever owned personally. Just wanted to say thanks taurus for a great gun. Here is some pictures from the range. One of the gun in box and one of the target I was shooting at.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I plan on going again tomorrow when my 200 rounds from cheaper than dirt comes in. Got a buddy that used to be a sherrif so he is gonna give me some pointers. Its not as easy as it looks thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hi mred,

Congrats! That's a fine looking gun. I
t sure sounds like you will have many good times with it, and before you know it, you'll be spinning those targets around like a well oiled second hand on a watch.

You may also want to pickup a few sillouette targets, and put them out about 7 to 10 yrds. You can then determine more accurately how you are patterning. There is also a circle diagram somewhere on this site that shows you what the probable reason is for the location of your patteren outside the bullseye.

Rob

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your fine new PT840 pistol!

Keep on practicing, and enjoy the "ride". ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi mred,

Congrats! That's a fine looking gun. I
t sure sounds like you will have many good times with it, and before you know it, you'll be spinning those targets around like a well oiled second hand on a watch.

You may also want to pickup a few sillouette targets, and put them out about 7 to 10 yrds. You can then determine more accurately how you are patterning. There is also a circle diagram somewhere on this site that shows you what the probable reason is for the location of your patteren outside the bullseye.

Rob
I just picked up some sillouettes to take to the range today. Thanks for the recommendations. I sure will enjoy this great firearm.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I just picked up some sillouettes to take to the range today. Thanks for the recommendations. I sure will enjoy this great firearm.
Hi mred,

I found the link to the Error Analysis Wheel. This may help your analysis of your shooting pattern.

Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

I copied this long ago, and keep that copy in my range bag, take it out and place it on the bench in my lane to refer to when practicing.

Hope this helps,

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update real quick. 2nd range trip with the PT840. Picture is of a target 7 yards out. Mind you my 15 year old sone was also shooting at the target too. Wind was quite fierce today so I didnt feel like changing the targets out to have the box fall over. I did quite a bit better than I did the first time. Realized a few errors in my technique that I changed this time. It really helps to line up the three dots instead of just putting the front site dot on the target!! Also hit the metal rings a lot more than Idid the first time. It was quite fun to spend time with the kid and also shoot the new gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
I really like the 800 series, and a 4" barrel. When I get my Ruger P95 (My First Gun) in my hands which won't be long it has a 3.9" barrel and a slightly wider more comfortable grip than the PT800's atleast IMO. I do plan on getting a PT809 or PT845 and a PT945 in May and those will be my First Tauruses and I can't wait.. Keep us posted

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe you will enjoy the Ruger. My brother purchased a ruger as his first firearm. It is a 9mm and he enjoys it. I just chose a 40 because of the increased power. Not really much more than that. The 840 is an excellent weapon. Accurate, Enjoyable, and pretty easy to shoot as well. Plus it holds 15+1 as well. Cant really beat that with a 40 cal....

·
Registered
432 Posts
I believe you will enjoy the Ruger. My brother purchased a ruger as his first firearm. It is a 9mm and he enjoys it. I just chose a 40 because of the increased power. Not really much more than that. The 840 is an excellent weapon. Accurate, Enjoyable, and pretty easy to shoot as well. Plus it holds 15+1 as well. Cant really beat that with a 40 cal....
Hope I enjoy it, its been a long wait.. I did get a really good deal on it, The Taurus models I wanted here locally are much more expensive than the $305 price I am paying for the Ruger. There were good deals online but I didn't wanna make a purchase without actually feeling the gun in my hands first and no one really had any Taurus in stock (until I suggested they carry some and let them know about all the good reviews I had received on this forum and that I would be back) I went back and then they had a few in-stock.. and the PT845 was one I tried and I know I will be getting one as well as a PT945 which I tried and loved it except its DAO and a much stiffer trigger.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Congratulations on the PT840. I plan to purchase one hopefully soon (funds willing). Be careful with your son. My 14 year old won't let me have my chance to shoot whenever we go to the range together.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Another cheap target that allows you to get a good look as to what you are doing in a simple paper plate tacked to a couple of wooden stakes. You don't meed to mark a bulls eye, it will always be the center of the plate. I do recommend tacking the plate to two stakes on the two edges of the plate. I tried doing one stake tacked in the middle of the plate, but kept shooting the wooden stake in half.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats on the choice of a fine range of pistols. I myself just picked up a 845 and honestly I think it feels and shoots better than the ruger p95 I use to own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts