Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new STI Spartan V 9mm last week...

Caliber- 9x19
Frame- 1911 Government Steel Frame, Bald Front Strap
Grips- Hand Checkered Double Diamond Mahogany Grip Panels
Slide- Classic, Front and Rear Cocking Serrations
Trigger- STI Long Curved Trigger
Barrel- 5.11” Chromed Non-Ramped Bushing Barrel
Safeties- STI High-Ride Beavertail Grip Safety / Single Sided Thumb Safety
Guide Rod- One Piece Full Length Steel
Sights- Fiber Optic Front / Adjustable Rear
Overall Length- 8.5”
Weight- 35.3 oz
Finish- Parkerized

Got out and put 250rds through last weekend and I have to say I'm VERY pleased with its performance. Had zero issues an no failures of any kind. The Spartan locks up tight as a drum and the action is smoothe as silk. The trigger is light and crispas well. Recoil is very minimal which allows for very fast target acquisition on follow-up shots. The adjustable rear sight was dialed in from the start and the fiber optic front post lit up like a laser. I love my .45 1911s, but this 9mm is one helluva fun shooter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replaced the factory grips with a set of Black-Desert Sand Spartan logo G10 panels from VZ Grips...

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up a half dozen Checkmate 9mm Match magazines for the Spartan...

SKU: CM9MM-9-S
Finish: Stainless Steel
Rd Capacity: 9rd
Floor Plate: Welded Base
Follower: CMI Patented
Feed Lips: Wadcutter
Spring: 9mm 9rd Spring

9mm 1911 mags are unique in comparison to most other 1911 caliber mags in that they are made from modified .38 super mag tubes. Because .38 super rounds are longer, manufacturers have come up with various means to shorten the inside of the mag tubes to ensure proper bullet seating and reliable feeding of the shorted 9mm rounds. Checkmate welds a spacer bracket into the rear surface of the mag tube that keeps the 9mm rounds seated to the front of the magazine...

The Spartan came with a 9 round stainless Metalform mag. Where Checkmate uses a spacer in the rear of the mag tube to push the rounds forward, Metalform creases the front surface of the mag tube inward to seat the 9mm rounds against the back wall of the magazine. The photo below shows the creased front surface in the Metalform mag compared to the rounded surface of the Checkmate...

Top: Checkmate / Bottom: Metalform

You can clearly see the difference in seating of the first round. In the Checkmate mags the rounds sit further forward and higher up, more level with the feed ramp and chamber. There is less distance to travel for the round to close into battery. Here's a couple more photos illustrating the difference in seating...

Left: Checkmate / Right: Metalform

Left: Checkmate / Right: Metalform

Overall, the Chackmate mags keep the rounds seated more firmly in place. Because of the gap at the front of the mag tube, the Metalform followers allow a bit of downward tilt in the nose of the top round. The upside is that I had zero feed issues from the Metalform mag through the 250 rounds I put through the Spartan last week, but the inconsistency in seating could potentially end up creating feed issues, especially once the mag springs have been loosened up a bit from use. I'm looking to put the Chackmate mags through the paces at the range tomorrow.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That's beautiful. Seems like you get an awful lot of gun for the money with the Spartan.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you and yes Sir, you sure do.

I'd say it's one helluva pistol for the price, but the truth is......it's just one helluva pistol!!!

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Very nice pistol. STI should think about using your photos in their advertising. You photos show the pistol well. Enjoy!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
Did I miss it How Much? thats a beautiful handgun you got there. My arthritis is making it harder to shoot my 1911 45 but a 9mm might work out well.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Did I miss it How Much? thats a beautiful handgun you got there. My arthritis is making it harder to shoot my 1911 45 but a 9mm might work out well.
Midwest Hunter's Outlet has 'em for $643.99. To me that seems very reasonable for a quality weapon with fully adjustable sights and a bomar cut slide. Bud's is out of stock, but their last price was $629.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice pistol. STI should think about using your photos in their advertising. You photos show the pistol well. Enjoy!!!
I appreciate the compliment Sir. This pistol will definitely see some hard use and I plan on enjoying every round...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear about the arthritis Sir.

I've got some calcium build-up in my wrists from a few breaks, so my bones definitely enjoy the lighter recoil compared to my .45's. The weight of the pistol really eats up the snap of the 9mm rounds. As far as price goes, I found mine on Gunbroker, but the seller just happened to be a local shop across town that I didn't know about. He had about twenty in stock and his Gunbroker listiings are still up with a "buy now" price of $600 with free shipping. I think the current bid is at $585...

STI SPARTAN 9mm " BUY NOW gets FREE SHIPPING"

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Looks nice, I've heard nothing but good things from the Spartan

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Great lookin' new pistola! I like the helmet grips to go with the Spartan. Congrats and thanks for all the great pics! :cool:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
SWEET nice shooter.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow, sweet pistol! I didn't know they were making a 9mm Spartan. If possible, please let us know how it shoots compared to a .45.

edit: Oops! I noticed that you already told us that! :D Enjoy your new 1911! :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just installed a new 4140 bar stock steel mainspring housing with 30 LPI checkering and oversized magazine guide on the Spartan V. Also added extended bumper pads to the Checkmates. Reloads are going a lot smoother and faster now...

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That's purty. 1911's can be almost as bad as AR15's for add ons. I'm not real big on the extended mag wells and mag bumpers - but I carry mine sometimes, and it just makes the grip too long. Good for competition, though. So when you gonna put the comped barrel on it? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts