Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I just put up a howdy on the introduction forum, but wanted to drill down to PT1911 folks.

I traded in my PT111 on Friday for a SS PT1911. The 111 was okay, but I never enjoyed the trigger pull and had heard some bad press about the first gen 111 frames not holding up well over time, so I consequently limited my practice with it, which made me more uneasy carrying it, yada yada yada.

Still believing that Taurus makes perfectly acceptable handguns and after a lot of research, I made my purchase decision. I'll be ordering a LH and leather lined version of The Answer for carry. I know it'll be a bit of a transition from the PT111, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough. I'm a fairly big and moderate fit guy (6'3", 210). My shoulders used to be much broader than my girth, but that's evening out a lot more lately, but there still should be enough room to hide the Taurus once I get it positioned right.

Went to the range yesterday for the first time and wasn't happy that it consistantly shot low. Now I find that it was more likely I who consistantly aimed low, having never used Heine sights before. It'll take a lot of getting used to having the front sight obscuring the intended POI, but I understand the theory, especially for a 'combat' weapon as opposed to a 'target' piece. We'll see. If worse comes to worse, I can always change them out. The manual (pg 10 in mine) gives bad information on the sight picture, stating that "the bullseye should rest on top of the sights."

One thing I'm a little concerned about is that I have encountered some hammer follow when releasing the slide catch. I want to stress that this does not happen every time, more like 1 in 10. This did not happen a single time yesterday at the range firing approximately 130 rounds. I haven't noticed a 'trend' of a particular action being a precursor of this, but there may be. I won't consider this a problem in need of repair unless it happens repeatedly in practice or even once with live ammunition. Thoughts?

Looking fwd to getting to know everyone and enjoying this fine weapon!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Congratulations on your trade. I hope that you enjoy your 1911 as much as I have enjoyed mine. Familiarity with the Heine sights does take a bit of practice. You should become proficient with additional range time. I have not experienced hammer follow during cycling so I can't comment on the problem. Someone on this forum with more smithing experience than I have should provide more insight. Best wishes on a cure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm definitely looking forward to getting to know the 1911 and gaining proficiency and confidence with it. I already have a burn on my wrist where an expended casing bounced off the wall at the range and stuck to my sweaty arm.

I guess it's a function of the full length guide rod, but that open ended spring plug is a real bugger! Sharp edges and trying to use that wrench with not feel to it resulted in the spring and plug bouncing off the wall already (oops!).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome to the board. I hope that you will enjoy your 1911 as much as I have . Work with the Heine Sites, you will get better with practice.

It is a great gun, I am glad I made the informed choice.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats on the new 1911. I love mine, but like a few others here, I've had problems with the thumb safety. I'm ordering a new one to have installed so that should take care of that problem. Then I'll really be able to fully enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yes getting use to the sights will take time. But in the end you will enjoy your pt1911 as much as I do.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep, those SS 1911's are a great looking pistol. Hope you like it and have a ton of fun with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts