Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered this today and I'm pretty excited.
Hoping it'll help with my vision issue, which is either wear glasses and see the target, or take off the glasses and see the site.

Henry Rifles

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Once you get the new gun sight mounted, post a pic, if you don't mind, so we all can savor it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Harrychl

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Yep, please let us see what type of sight you are getting. Receiver mount or barrel mount.

I've heard a lot of good things about Skinner sights, but I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
You know, I have thought about the same thing from time to time. My vision is not as crisp as it once was, and I think that the aperture-style sight you mentioned could be the ticket!

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
The biggest factor will be your eyesight focal length. If your eyes currently see the V-groove rear sight okay, you are probably good to go with the new sight.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the barrel mount. I believe it'll have a .096 aperture.
Without glasses I can see the rear site. With glasses the front site is starting to look pretty good. Using the v-natch site supplied with the rifle the other day I tested with and without glasses.
It was pretty close, really too close to call.

In summer camp in 1976 we used Mossberg target rifles and aperture sites.
I see now that those threaded holes on the on the Marlin 45/70 I once owned were for putting aperture sites. Had I known that at the time.....

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Like the others i will be interested in seeing what they look like on.

I've been kicking around getting a Henry too....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Results

OK, here's the first results with the Skinner Barrel Mount site in brass for the Golden Boy in .22lr.

Ammunition: Winchester big box from Wal-Mart, copper plated, $19.00 (or so) for 525.
Target: 3-inch Post It note (Wal-Mart) on a Jack's Pizza cardboard (combo, also Wal-Mart). Too cheap to use my Targ-dots and paper plates.
Distance: 21 yards.
Position: Seated with back against fencepost.
Weather: sunny, about 30 degrees, not much wind.
Vision: Was wearing the glasses. (With glasses I can see at a distance clearly, no glasses I can see the rear site clearly)

So, as you can see, six of ten rounds wound up in the one-inch square, with the remaining rounds still on the paper.
With the previous sites (semi buckhorn) I might've seen this group with standard velocity (CCI 1080 fps.)
Would've been doing good to get them all on the paper with the Winchester ammo and the old site, so I'm a happy boy.

Siting and target acquisition is WAAAAAYYYYY easier and no longer a PITA.

Site was easy to adjust although I'd prefer an adjustment screw for wind-age instead of tapping.

Also, I had to shorten the aperture's post so I could get it down low enough. The post was hitting the top of the barrel.

Conclusion. When I get a .44 levergun, THIS will be the site. Maybe the receiver mount version.

Also, the site's adjusted to the brass bead front site covers the point of impact.

The site looks way better than the stock site and doesn't go out of adjustment like the buckhorn did when loading or otherwise handling the rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Good review.. I think I could appreciate that sight style too. Glad you liked them on yours and they look great! Grats!!

Reactions: dogranch

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
I like that alot. Looks great and I'm sure site acquisition is much easier. Good job !

·
Registered
40 Posts
I want to get a .22 rimfire goldenboy someday to go with my single six

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
But thanks Dogranch, if my eyesight goes further south. You have done the research.
As a matter of interest how do 20/20 sighted people fel about it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts