Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read several complaints regarding the Heinie straight eight sights on the Mil Pro's. Myself included.
As I have posted previously, I called Taurus and ordered new three dot sights as Taurus called them Actually it's just the rear sight only, but they call it the three dot sight.
Anyway, I posted that I installed the sights and was asked to let you guys know how they turned out.
I get a significant difference now. Not all ten's but much better than the straight eight's.
This was 12 yards, indoor range, 230 gr, cast RN, reloads.

SORRY. POSTED THIS TWICE. DON'T KNOW HOW TO DELETE ONE OF THEM. :(:(

Attachments

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow, it looks like it made a big difference! I am glad to hear that the switch is working well for you!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry if this was discussed before. Was the original sight difficult to remove, and how easy was the installation of the new rear sight? I tried to like the Heinie sights, but it's not working for me.

Thank you

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like bbgun did not like the heinie sights and replaced mine with the factory 3 dot .the origmal sight did take a little help from a small drift punch and a small hammer. replacement sight went in easy.Be sure and use a little lock tite on the screw. ENJOY THE CHANGE.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry if this was discussed before. Was the original sight difficult to remove, and how easy was the installation of the new rear sight? I tried to like the Heinie sights, but it's not working for me.

Thank you

In my case the old sight came right off when I loosened the set screw. The new one went on with no problem. Mine were a perfect fit. I do still need to locktight it though.
I might add, due to the front sight being so tall, I still have to aim with the front sight in full view. I sight with the top of the rear sight aligned just below the dot on the front sight.

·
Super Moderator
13,880 Posts
The picture of the the dot sights looks like what is installed on my PT111 loaner. Would someone reference where I can see a picture of the sights that get all the complaints, so I can tell if these have been swapped?

·
Registered
624 Posts
These are the straight eight sights that have created all the controversy, it took me a little while to get used to them, but I love them now, they came standard on my PT 1911 till 2010.

I used to hold my front sight picture at a 6:00 O'Clock that being the top of the front sight just under my point of impact, and these are meant to be held with the center of the front dot over my point of impact accurate to 25 yards.

But remember that the weight of the bullet will also make a difference, any 230 gr 45 acp traveling approximately at 850 fps should be dead on.

Cuban

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm still giving the OEM sights a chance yet but out of curiosity, how much did the double dot rear sight cost?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts