Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to Cabelas to buy 3 boxes of 410 shotshells for my Wife's 410 shotgun, and was cruising the used pistols and long guns since they have a 10% off deal going on. One of the last items I wanted for my collection was an auto 20ga shotgun. Well darn them Cabelas guys, there it was hiding on the end of the shotgun rack, A lightly used Tristar Viper youth model auto 20ga for $299. With 10% off I got it for $269. This semi auto shotgun from Tristar weighs 6lbs .8 oz's, overall length is 42 3/4 inches, barrel is 24 inches, and the trigger pull is at 4lbs. I have been running shells through it the last few days and I am impressed. So far 84 shells of mixed loads, no problems. It cycles very fast. My top time was 6 shells in 2.6 seconds. I also brought out my Judge tonight and ran a few cylinders of 45LC to test out the new Pachmayr diamond pro grip I installed.
P6280014bb.jpg They kinda look like they go together.
Thought I would show some of the patterns I got this evening with the Tristar. All of these patterns were shot from 50 feet.
P6280007bbbb.jpg This is five rounds.
P6280012bb.jpg This is 6 rounds, I ran these as fast as I could so the pattern opened up a bit.
P6280002bb.jpg 6 rounds as well, however this is a low recoil rather slow round and the Tristar would not cycle 5 of the 6 shells, which was no surprise.
P6280003bb.jpg 6 rounds again

I am not a shotgun expert , but these patterns seemed pretty good to me. The shotgun runs smooth and is easy to shoulder and aim. Of course now the area in front of my berm is beginning to look like yellow tubes fell from the sky, gonna have to clearing them or I won't be able to mow. Almost all of them eject and land standing up. What a fun gun to run.

·
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P6280005bb.jpg Don't want to leave the Judge out, I did run a few cylinders of 410 , but at 50 feet the pattern isn't much to crow about. However the AQA ammo from Cheaper than dirt is very accurate. I backed up to 60 feet to shoot these 45LC.
P6280006bb.jpg Here is the same distance with HSM cowboy rounds, not as accurate, but very little recoil.
P6280013.JPG Oh those little yellow tubes are everywhere.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Excellent find! Looks like a lot of fun... Hey, How's that Cub Cadet push mower working out for ya??

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
TriStar makes a fine field gun. My oldest son calls in fox squirrels and takes them with a 20ga TriStar auto. It won't be too long before squirrel season opens again. Can't wait.

Reactions: silverstring
1 - 6 of 6 Posts