Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a new Sigma this week in a trade and finally got it to the range yesterday. Neat little surprise, I really like the pistol. It is very accurate and shoots almost as well as the SR9c. The trigger is not as nice as the Ruger, by design since the longer, harder trigger pull serves as the only safety. I was worried that I would hate the trigger, but it hardly bothered me. I fed it four different types of ammo Winchester white box, UMC, Federal ball ammo and a box of reloaded JHPs all in 115 grain. It didn't even think about puking on anything, just rattled on. For a low end smithy, I think I stumbled on to something good.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I acquired a new Sigma this week in a trade and finally got it to the range yesterday. Neat little surprise, I really like the pistol. It is very accurate and shoots almost as well as the SR9c. The trigger is not as nice as the Ruger, by design since the longer, harder trigger pull serves as the only safety. I was worried that I would hate the trigger, but it hardly bothered me. I fed it four different types of ammo Winchester white box, UMC, Federal ball ammo and a box of reloaded JHPs all in 115 grain. It didn't even think about puking on anything, just rattled on. For a low end smithy, I think I stumbled on to something good.
I have a 9ve also. It is great. Haven't had a hiccup in a bout 2000 rounds.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hope I get to hang onto it. I was telling my dad (he's 80) what handguns I traded a shotgun for and he said he had been thinking about an auto since he doesn't see as well as he used to and said he might want this piece since he figured more shots would be better than a revolver. He traded his autos some years back and he won't shoot his 357s with 357 ammo anymore. I told him I would break it in to the point I was confident in it and then let him shoot them and choose between the Sigma and the SR9c. I still like the Ruger over the S&W and will replace it if that is what he chooses (it is well broken in and reliable). He and my mom live in the country with the nearest neighbors a half mile away. It makes sense to me that he would be better off with more ammo and the ability to reload in addition to his shotgun.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I also have a 9ve. It’s reliable as all heck and eats everything I feed it. I recently broke down and did a trigger job on it. I would estimate that I reduced the trigger pull from about 11 pounds down to about 7 ponds. Used an old fish scale to check the pull, therefore, not the most precise method. It’s not my SD weapon so mostly relegated to range and plinking. A whole lot of fun for a reliable pistol costing a little under $300.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
The new sigmas just keep going and going, and they get better with use.

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
I recently shot a friends Sigma .40 S & W and was very surprised at how well it shot after reading some bashing about them. I have a 2nd Gen PT145, DAO that I love, and I shot my friends Sigma .40 about as well. They are a great bargain in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Left it dirty (on purpose, not lazy) and took it back to the range yesterday to give it a real test. Another 200 rnds with cheaper ball ammo and nary a hiccup. The trigger pull is the thing I like least about it, but all other aspects are great. Good pistol for budget buyers that need home protection, I think its a little big to carry.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your new Sigma!

I have two buddies who swear by theirs.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Ours has had the trigger eased and works very well, shooting whatever shows up.
It's the house gun for the mobile home now.

·
Administrator
39,367 Posts
I don't own one, but have shot a couple. I've heard the bashers too, and I don't see what they're talking about. Reliable, accurate pistol. I've shot pistols I consider a little more comfortable to me, but that's about it. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks for the review! I am thinking about buying a used SW40VE, and your report helps in the descion making process....

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Thanks for the review! I am thinking about buying a used SW40VE, and your report helps in the descion making process....
Let us know if you get it and what you think.

The simplicity and reliability of the sigma is wonderful, it just keeps going and going.

Reactions: Mikeo

·
Registered
532 Posts
Let us know if you get it and what you think.

The simplicity and reliability of the sigma is wonderful, it just keeps going and going.
It's the Energizer Bunny of pistols

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It was my first auto and I love it. I helped the trigger a bit and now its a house gun that the ladies like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had a 9VE geat firearm! Never had an issue in a few thousand rounds.

·
Registered
612 Posts
my 9ve was my first pistola!. Didn't even notice the trigger pull cause I had nothing to compare it too. If anything, It made me a better shooter, learning how to deal with a dao 12lb pull.. My sigma also eats anything I put in it. From wally world WB to zinger hand loads. I was gonna trade it in but the night before the deal, I was cleaning it and reminiscing about the days of my first shootings. Finished cleaning it and put it back in the safe.. =) It's not going anywhere.

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
You know, you got me thinking:

There is something about the sigma that grows on you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
They say, the trigger gets better with use. I for one just think you build up muscle in your finger =) ah, thank you..
No but seriously, I put ALLOT of work into mine, coming up on 2.5k put through it and allot of time racking n snap capping. I'm pretty sure I've reduced it from 12 to around.. MAYBE 9, on a good day? It does get smoother tho, that I can attest to. Just go head over to the SW board and check out what those fine fellows have to say about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts