Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went looking to buy a gun with part of the tax return.. sorta my yearly ritual. I wanted a 9mm to do some IDPA with and general plinking. Started out to check out one store that sales used guns at a good price, but everything was 400 plus. I can get a new Glock for 400 so that was off. Went to academy to check the Taurus they had on sale but it wasn't what I was looking for. Too small. For that size I'll stick with my glock 27. They had the Sigma 9mm for $279... Feels and handles just like a glock 19, and the price was sweet. I know it's not a real glock, but I couldn't pass it up. If I really get into IDPA down the road I'll possibly get the glock 17 after all, but a cheap way to check it out and what appears to be a good under the seat weapon system.

sigma.jpg

Product: Model SW9VE Pistol

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I recently shot a friends new Sigma .40 and was very impressed with the pistol. I hit very well with it and the function was perfect. The experience quickly dis-spelled every bad thing I had read about the Sigma, although the newer Sigmas are supposed to have improved over the early ones. I am also used to the DAO trigger having owned a 2nd Generation PT145 for over 5 years.

The trigger travel and pull were not at all unpleasant in my perception and I feel like most guns, will improve with use.

The Heinie sights also were easy to use even though most every thing I own are 3 dots or no dots. I pretty much ignored the dots and shot like they weren't there.

Reactions: bre346

·
Administrator
35,304 Posts
This was the pistol that S&W built to compete directly with the Glock, and they responded with a huge lawsuit. Some of the articles from the 90's are interesting to read.

I've read that the trigger pull on the newer models is much improved over the older guns. I hope this one serves you well !

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I like the sigma. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
i own the sigma in a .40 and use it for my CCW almost on a daily basis.. love the trigger and the fact it goes bang everytime i need to :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
You should be well served by the Sigma.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I know several folks who own a Sigma, and they are very pleased with them.

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
I used to own a Sigma, but sold it a few years ago. I had planned to buy another in the .40s&w caliber, but never did get around to it. Too many Taurus on my list have been on sale. I did however pickup a good deal on 5 magazines for the .40s&w Sigma....of course with out a gun to use them with, it may not have been a bargain I was thinking of.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My dad has a SW9VE, and I've shot it on occasion, but I wouldn't give up any of my own pistols for one. The grip is a bit too long and not wide enough for my hand, and the trigger pull on his seems exceptionally heavy and gritty.THAT BEING SAID, That pistol's chewed through anything it's been fed, including supposed dud rounds out of my PT 111. In fact, that's my go-to to dispose of rounds that ftf in my pistol. For the price, you're hard pressed to find anything better. Yes, there are better pistols out there, no question about that, but those pistols won't cost you under $300, either! By the by, check around used for one, I bought my dad's Sigma for him for Christmas two years ago, paid only $125 for it, the complete box, even threw in an almost-full box of Monarch 9mm.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
My dad has a SW9VE, and I've shot it on occasion, but I wouldn't give up any of my own pistols for one. The grip is a bit too long and not wide enough for my hand, and the trigger pull on his seems exceptionally heavy and gritty.THAT BEING SAID, That pistol's chewed through anything it's been fed, including supposed dud rounds out of my PT 111. In fact, that's my go-to to dispose of rounds that ftf in my pistol. For the price, you're hard pressed to find anything better. Yes, there are better pistols out there, no question about that, but those pistols won't cost you under $300, either! By the by, check around used for one, I bought my dad's Sigma for him for Christmas two years ago, paid only $125 for it, the complete box, even threw in an almost-full box of Monarch 9mm.
Wow! I should be so lucky! The used one that I am looking at cost $230! But I am guessing that TX gets better gun deals than IA! :eek:

·
Banned
893 Posts
I know it's not a real glock, but I couldn't pass it up.
it is the closest you will get to a glock twin then any other pistol made, Glock did sue them and won because because the sigma was so similiar. The sigma could be an excellent pistol after you do a trigger job. I have the .40

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Ours has just over 300 rounds through it and has become the house gun in the motor home. I really like the grip, the capacity and the action - after I got through with it.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I have always said of the Sigma- if S&W would just put a trigger in these guns they would make a lot of folks happy- perhaps they did just that.
I have one of the older ones( actually my son's) in the bottom of my gun locker that was DOA out of the box years ago. Its still new, but dead. It jammed every shot.
Perhaps one day I may send it in for repairs...especially if they will replace the trigger.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Almost bought this gun but I had very few revolvers so I got a Tauri 85 and was semiauto loaded at the time, no pun intended. After I asked about it though a lot of people said they had to replace or file down the trigger. I am not big into modifing a new gun. Of course I also heard that everyone and their mother replaces the plastic crap spring guide on the PF9 because Kel Tec was too cheap to just add a metal one to the gun in the first place but they sell it for an AM replacement.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The trigger does seem heavy, but then My glocks have the 8lb NYPD trigger on them. ( was dept policy) so I think that will be ok. Looking forward to hitting the range this weekend and dumb some rounds through it, and more through the TCP to ensure it is 100 % reliable.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The Sigma will serve it's purpose well for many years. Where are you able to buy a Glock for $400 at?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I had a sigma 9ve; what I didn't like about it was that nothing would fit it without an adapter and then Smith came out with the SD and devaluated the sigma' The gun itself worked excellent.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Sigma will serve it's purpose well for many years. Where are you able to buy a Glock for $400 at?
Glock has a set LEO price and a cop store here in Austin sales them. ID required with various ways to purchase. Active, retired, security, fire and possibly others. GT distributors. You can read more online.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts