Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm curious if any of you have this gun and if so what kind of 22 magnum rounds you use. It's a great gun that my family uses on a regular basis with the regular 22LR. As I have the extra magnum cylinder I wish to try it out.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Try several different brands from a bench. Some will shoot just about anything, some are picky. The one I use most eats anything. Winchester dyna points are cheap and it groups them well. Federal 50 grain not so cheap also groups well.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I like my 4 month old Single Six with .22LR, but I love it with .22 WMR.

My Single Six has problems chambering Winchester Dynapoint once the cylinder is dirty and the groups are spread open a bit compared to other ammo I've tried.

Other ammo I've used with very good accuracy and better chambering when dirty are:
Maxi-Mag Ammo 22 Winchester Mag Rimfire (WMR) 30 Grain Hornady V-Max
High Speed Maxi-Mag Ammo 22 Winchester Mag Rimfire (WMR) 40 Grain Total Metal Jacket
Varmint Express Ammo 22 Winchester Mag Rimfire (WMR) 30 Grain V-Max
Critical Defense Ammo 22 Winchester Mag Rimfire (WMR) 45 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding

This photo below is from my third outing shooting solely .22 WMR shooting with my hands resting on a sandbag. Using the ammo types listed above. The only real reason the large orange targets had better groups is because the large orange squares are the same size as my front sight at 25 yards. The small squares are tiny enough for my eyes to have a hard time lining up consistently.

This photo is from the same outing, but with me shooting from a Weaver stance at the same 25 yards. I lack consistency in this muzzle heavy gun and the original grip is fairly small. This gun is awesome fun to shoot, though! :laugh:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took my new Ruger Single Six to the range today to try out my new Hogue grips and some 22 40 gram CCI Magnum ammo. Found the new ammo to be accurate but VERY DIRTY. Ammo residue gave me some issues empting shells out of the gun. Changed cylinders, went back to standard Federal 22 LR and all was good. Grips are an excellent improvement over stock but I'll be looking for different magnum ammo down the line for sure.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
My Single Six did the same thing with its Magnum cylinder until I polished the chamber bores. Now I can fire at least 150 rounds of .22 Mag before the ammo gets hung up. Except for the Winchester Dynapoint, it still gets hung up going in or out after only a few rounds fired. Ruger leaves a lot of tool marks in newly manufactured Single Sixes apparently.

There are different recommend ways of doing the polishing. I just used a slotted tip from a cleaning rod set, mounted it in my vari-speed hand drill, wrapped a bore cleaning cloth in and around the slotted tip that fit snugly in the chamber, put on some fine car polishing compound, and gave it a spin in each chamber. The objective is to polish down the circular tool marks in each chamber.

It only takes a bit of time, but it makes the .22 Magnum experience much, much better!

Google-polishing revolver cylinder chambers

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
The Ruger single 6 is a sweety in the fact that it eats any 22 rimfire ammo in all practibility!
around these parts there is no need for a 22WMR round so most of the pistols have brand spanking new mag cylinders in them or very slightly used.
that WMR brings shooting the gun into the 9 MM/ 40 cal territory as to cost, but it is fun to shoot few of them for kicks.
in areas where game may be had that requires the 22 WMR its likely a better choice than a single cylinder gun.
Love mine!
I really like the new Single 10 that Ruger came out with!
Now for you guys that have bad old eyes like me or just want more accuracy from your single 6, Hi-viz makes a simple screw on front fiber optic sight for about 20 bucks.
its in the picture below!
well fooey!!
I thought this picture had the Hi-viz sight on it, NOPE!
anyway its the same front sight as the Browning Buckmark front site and works like a dream!
I'll see if i can find a picture of the Suingle 6 with it on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I would be very interested in the sight you are referring to.
go to the Hi-Viz website and find the model number, then go to Midway and order one!
I am almost positive that the same front sight that fits the browning buckmark also fits the ruger Single six.
its a simple one screw repalcement, your Single six should have just one screw holding the front sight on, take it out, put on the Hi-Viz and you got it, even can use the same screw.
the base of the sight is slighltly curved so fits the barrel like factory!
Been a while since i put it on my gun but seems like it was 18.95 or so.
They didn't have a rear fiber optic at the time but may have now>
sons got mine playing with the grand sons so i can 't look at it right now!
hope this helps!
heres a picture of a Browning Buckmark with the Hi-Viz same exact front sight on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
With a barrel that long, are you sure you weren't 24 yards from the target? It's not a carry gun, but it looks like a lot of fun to shoot. Enjoy it in good health.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
With a barrel that long, are you sure you weren't 24 yards from the target? It's not a carry gun, but it looks like a lot of fun to shoot. Enjoy it in good health.
:laugh:

Good point. My toes were 25 yards from the target. The muzzle was in the next county. :blush:

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
:laugh:

Good point. My toes were 25 yards from the target. The muzzle was in the next county. :blush:
Yep! shooting targets at 7 yards you need asbestos targets to keep from setting them on fire from muzzle blast!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts