Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just got my very first Rossi firearm in a Rio Grande 30-30 in Stainless Steel. I love the looks of this gun, and it shoots flawlessly. The only thing is, the guy I got it from lost the scope mount. I have seen the one Rossi sells on their website, but the holes are not in the right place for the Rio Grande, and all of the 2-piece scope mounts i have found use a larger screw than the Rio Grande. Does anyone here know where I can find the scope mount? maybe someone here has one to sell? I love the gun, and already purchased a nikon in silver finish to munt on it, but can not for the life of me find a Rio Grande mount. thanks!

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
I know its modeled after the Marlin 336. Maybe one for the Marlin? Or call Taurus CS.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hi everyone. I just got my very first Rossi firearm in a Rio Grande 30-30 in Stainless Steel. I love the looks of this gun, and it shoots flawlessly. The only thing is, the guy I got it from lost the scope mount. I have seen the one Rossi sells on their website, but the holes are not in the right place for the Rio Grande, and all of the 2-piece scope mounts i have found use a larger screw than the Rio Grande. Does anyone here know where I can find the scope mount? maybe someone here has one to sell? I love the gun, and already purchased a nikon in silver finish to munt on it, but can not for the life of me find a Rio Grande mount. thanks!
Call Rossi customer service and order one as I had one come on my 45-70 it should be the same also.

Reactions: stanjones

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I suggest you call Rossi CS and order one for the Rio Grande. My new 45-70 came with it on it and I would bet they are the same.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
I like it, thanks for posting. I woul definately call Rossi to order another one and,
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Super Moderator
38,644 Posts
That is a beautiful carbine! Congratulations.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I would of gotten mine in stainless also but they don't seem to make them at the moment in 45-70. Here is mine with a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5 - 4.5 x 32mm scope mounted on it. Not a great picture even though the camera is, I'm surely not a photographer.

Attachments

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Nice! These seem to be very nice rifles. I'm looking forward to putting some rounds through it!
They are easy to field strip and remove the bolt from unlike the Rossi 92. I followed the instructions on the Marlin 336 and it is the same method completely. All that is needed is a screw drive to remove the lever with but be sure it fits perfectly so you don't mess up the screw head. Also move the safety to the fire position. The only draw back is I've never found a hammer extension that will work with it including the one Rossi sells. Rossi did think about it though in that they made the hammer wider at the back so it can be pulled back with a scope mounted. I also had to remove the rear sight iron sight and have since put a dovetail plug into it. It might not be required with higher rings or a longer scope but not with the one I have. My only other complaint with the rifle when I first got it was the loading gate. It was so hard to put a bullet into it and also would snap back catching your finger pretty hard. I lightened mine using the same idea as I did off of Steve's Gunz DVD on the 92. It now loads easy without problem. Other than that found only one sharp edge on the carrier that took a single pass with a piece of fine sand paper followed by some Flitz polish.

As for other things, I had a custom made magazine follower made out of stainless steel as I tried he marlin one for the 45-70 and their spring is smaller so it didn't work. I had a friend with a lath cut it down and open up the spring entry. It now works great. So far I've put about a 100 rounds through it 5 of which is the Hornady Leverevolution gummy tips and the rest my reloads using powders, trial boss, IMR 3031, 4198 and RL 7 using 405 gr Badman bullets. I sighted it in at 100 yards as I doubt I would take a shot at any game much further out than that in the areas I would hunt.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts