Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I'm a NEW! Rossi R461 .357 Magnum Revolver owner, although I have used a Taurus PT-92, 9mm before. My Question; I'm going to the range next week to try it out. The guy at the Academy store recommended I use Winchester "130 grain target .38 special, Full Metal Jacket bullets" to get use to the revolver, before I use the .357 Magnum bullets. Have any one tried the .38 special Full Metal Jacket bullets before? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Max

·
Registered
31,687 Posts
They are 158 grain .38 special fmj, and that is what I typically shoot at the range in all my .38 specials and .357 mag handguns.

The 461 is a light framed .357 magnum. I wouldn't buy more than one box the first time of the magnums to shoot in it as I can assure you, you wont enjoy shooting them. For an eventual defense load out of the 461, you most likely will consider .38 special +P or +P+.

I have shot the 461 with a 3" barrel and it is very accurate and a great shooter, and well worth the money.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome, Max, from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
31,687 Posts
And Welcome from Lubbock, TX!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have used the Winchester 158 grain FMJ in both 38 special and 357 magnum before. As Jake3501 stated if you plan on shooting more than 1 box of 357 the first time, you may not enjoy it. Once you get used to the gun you will enjoy shooting the 357s more. The factory grips look like they may be able to handle the recoil fairly well but at 26 oz it will kick using 357s. Enjoy your new gun.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! With quality of .38 special you can get, I haven't shot .357 in a few years. Nice to have the ability, but not necessary.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have a Taurus 604 that is about the same weight. Shooting magnums in it isn't as bad as hitting your hand with a hammer but it's not that far off either. I have found that if I can find lead bullet 158gr standard pressure .38 special then the gun is a pleasure to shoot. The only magnum I have been able to finish a whole box is Remington Golden Saber 158gr .357 magnums. The Golden Saber line seems to be more of a "light magnum" load compared to most others. But even they were hurting pretty bad by the end of the box of twenty of them. I can't imagine trying to shoot a fifty count box of 125gr Federals. Those things have too much flash, are hard on guns, and those get my nod for save the ammo and wear on your gun and just hit your hand with a hammer. Guys that buy these newer alloy micro magnums must be gluttons for punishment. I figure even if the honest truth is that with a magnum load you still get more velocity than a +P special, you get a ton more muzzle flash and recoil that you have to deal with. And the increase over what you get with a good load like a Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot +P isn't that dramatic enough for me to train to put up with bashing my hand with a hammer. But that's just me and we are all free to do as we like.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.:wave:

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
HELLO AND WELCOME FROM Southeast Tennessee;;

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello and Welcome from the Low Country South Carolina.

I've got a Rossi 461 with a 3" barrel... but prefer my Taurus 605 for CC more.
But as for shooting 357s, Rossi wins, and with a 3" barrel, 158 JHP/JSP 357 mag, great car carry.

If you're not used to shooting 357 mag, then I would recommend starting with 38 Special +P, jacketed 158 gr.
Then the 357 mag maybe JHP 125 gr or lighter then build up to 158 gr.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Administrator
39,352 Posts
Welcome from West Texas, Max! :wave:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!