Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I got a new Rossi 357/38sp 16-inch lever gun and I love it. It was a little clunky when I got it so I smoothed out the action by soaking the internals with CLP and hand cycling the gun 300+ times. Here is a picture showing how is looks after 300+ cycles.

It struggled loading 357 flat nose rounds into the mag so I rounded and polished the transition between the feed and magazine.....much better now....sorry no pictures....

Next I applied 5+ coats of Minwax gunstock stain to the socks.....

The original stock had a very light color and wasn't very water proof.....here is how the stocks look now:

So far so good......luv this little shooter...

Best regards
Eric

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
Very nice!

Did you have to strip the stocks first or did you just put the minwax directly on?

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
I have been wanting one of these for years to go with my older Taurus Model 65 .357 with 4 inch barrel.

I think the two would make a great team.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea......back when I was young I could shoot a rifle anywhere if FL......but now with all the growth there are very few places to shoot.....the nice thing about this rifle is that I can shoot it at in-door ranges and 357-38 is still popular.......too bad I sold my 357 revolver years ago......#:-(......

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one additional thing......the Minwax finish makes one slick finish that is a pleasure to shoot....thanks Minwax....

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is new, now 400 rounds old. Remington UMC .357 hollow points feed and shoot just fine. Hope to find some more. The 38 round nose, flat nose lead or copper plated also feed and shoot just fine. No problems there. I cleaned the action best I could, greased a little and worked it. Repeated this procedure all through a couple of months - and the action slicked on up. Loading gate not as stiff as it was. Also, my action is not "tearing" up the brass. The little Rossi is tack accurate! So far I am very pleased. The Stock - rubbing Otter's Gun Oil on it made it a lot better looking.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very nice work....

I have a 44 that looks just like it...Took my 11 year old son out to the desert today. I just built an AR and the 44 is only a couple months old so he hasn't shot either one.

He's still has ice on his shoulder :)

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
329 Posts
I actually just got mine last Friday, May 17, 2013 and I agree when I first got it, the lever was a tad stiff. Like all my new guns, I cleaned it and while watching TV, I sat and cycled the lever about 2000 times. Now it is much smoother. I plan on buying a box of 100 .38 specials +P ammo and breaking it in this weekend !!! God Bless :)

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Question. How do the spent cartridges eject? To the side or up? Reason is I've been pondering getting one of those but would like some optics and wonder if a small Bushnell would work if mounted over the receiver or would it require a offset mount like a old Winchester 1894 requires? Thanks....

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
I love lever guns. Very nice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Question. How do the spent cartridges eject? To the side or up? Reason is I've been pondering getting one of those but would like some optics and wonder if a small Bushnell would work if mounted over the receiver or would it require a offset mount like a old Winchester 1894 requires? Thanks....
Hello,

I would like to thank everyone for the kind words.......

They eject out of the top.....I think that this is a feature of the Winchester Model 1892 lever gun.......not sure......but I think the Winchester Model 1894 lever gun ejects out of the side.....

I recently put a Rossi scope rail on it ($14) and a very.....did I say very......inexpensive ($35) red dot on it just for kicks....

sorry for the bad cell phone picture...

The M92 forces you to place an optic it the scout position.......

FWIW.....I have since replaced the red dot with a peep ring:

Another bad picture:

Best regards
Eric

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet little rifle you got there! One day I hope to be able to add a .357 model to my firearms.
Hello and thank you for the kind words........yea....I must have got a good one...she's a little clunky but feeds anything I throw at her...

I noticed that your on the space coast....cool.....I grew up on Merritt Island and worked on the Space Shuttle back in the day......too bad they shut that down.....

Best regards
Eric

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hello again,

I totally forgot to mention that I made my own metal magazine follower......I made a few because they are so cheap and easy to machine.....here is a pict of my first brass mag follower.....

I currently have one of these in my rifle now.....

I polished the snot out of the brass and it feeds great.....brass is smooth and great for this application....I made the one I'm using a little bigger/tighter than the stock follower...

Best regards
Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts