Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought another 1911 as a project with intentions of replacing everything if need be. Bought it for slide and frame. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

I decided before changing anything to put 300 rds. through it. Shooting sport Recreation Target archery Sport venue Shooting

this wa the best group i got at 10 yds. everything stringing left. first 200 rds groups were worse. trigger was gritty nothing like my pt 1911 or some of my other 1911's.

then i did a trigger job polished the tigger bow,trigger bow track in the frame,sear,disco,hammer,i even took a very fine file the emeery cloth to the sear primary angle,secondary angle and even rounded the nose of the sear,also took the file to the hammer hooks,not to lower them just to smooth them out. i know everyone says not to touch these parts but it's not my first rodeo. Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Target archery Precision sports well i don't know if results are better but trigger feels much smoother and lighter.

then i fitted an EGW straight bore thick flange bushing. Shooting sport Target archery Recreation Circle Shooting tightened group up and got rid of stringing. still not happy with feel of trigger,my pt 1911 is still much smoother so is my colt gold cup NM. trigger is comparable to my colt 1991 commander. so i think my next move will be to replace trigger,sear,disco,hammer,hammer strut and ambi-saftey with single-sided tactical saftey.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Nice 1911. Congrats!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Sounds like a fun new project!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm. Keep us up to date with the project.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Congrats on your new toy and project. Shoot it (often) in good health.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrats on the new shooter and good luck with tour project.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
well first congrats, any 1911 is like Christmas!
While i like my RIA Tactical and its not a bad shooter now after not as much smoothing as you did but a good bit.
The trigger on mine was much like you describe, to the point that i really thought seriously about taking it t a local 1911 guru for a trigger job.
after a good bit of smoothing i decided to live with it.
I was kind of surprised that the trigger was as good as it was once I got it took apart and looked at the inside, pretty darned rough.
Its still my roughest 1911 i think, actually i am sure.
I ended up putting a STI triger in mine, Dawso fiber optic sight.
Its not a bad 1911 for everyday shooting I guess but I might be a tad spoiled with some of the 1911 that i have to compare this one to.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the project continues, upgraded the trigger,sear,disconnector,hammer,hammer strut,single sided saftey and slide stop. the grip saftey was sticking when depressed,not new after installing new parts was that way when bought from gun(crack)dealer. caught the problem before i bought it, not a big deal to correct. turned out in the frame where the grip saftey presses in there was a feww burrs and a ding that had to be filed and smoothed out. there where numerous rough spots, the disco channel in the slide had a ding and rough finish that needed smoothed out,same with the channel that rides over the ejector,also the channels in the slide that ride the rails of the frame.overall the slide to frame fit was tight but very rough, the worst machining of any of my 1911's. well for $440.00 i didn't expect a very smooth quality finish on inside of frame and slide.after smoothing everything out now it feels like glides on ball bearings. here is a few pics of upgrades. Yellow Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

after trigger job the trigger is very smooth,crisp,breaks extremely clean and is light,too light for carry. this will be a target/range gun not carried.now i need to get out and shoot and find out how good the barrel is,whether or not that will be replaced next.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
It will be intersting the outcome on the RIA tactical.
and how much money that you end up in it, course now if one is looking to build a 1911 then this is a good candidate, seems the raw gun is in there somewhere.
much of what you describe is what i found in mine as well.
I feel the Ria tactical is a pretty decent starter 1911 due to price and features and I am sure the quality is varied in each one at the low price point.
its really interesting the huge difference in my new RIA tactical II and the first gen tactical.
as the RIA Tac II is so new I do not know anyone to compare if this is a standard improvemnet or if i just got a really good one.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well olfarhors that was my intention from the get go, to pretty much replace everything other than slide and frame to see what kind of accuracy i could obtain. if everything goes well my next project will be to build a 1911 from scratch, oversized frame,slide,barrel, pretty much fit every part. now i haven't fit a barrel in quite a few years but i still remember how. haven't since i quite working as a machinist and started in the construction buisness.

i have read others that have the RIA tactical II that the maching is better than in the first generation.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
with the tactical version of course the front and rear sight is already in a dovetail so that helps a lot, the beavertail, and ring hammer, several things to me make it better to start with the tactical as opposed to the GI model.
I think i may have enough stock (different manufactures) parts laying around to make a frankenstein 1911 myself, I would need a hammer for sure, but most other parts I likely got here somewhere.
good luck and interesting project!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes with the dovetails cut in the slide sight replacement is pretty easy. i do plan on replacing the front sight with a fiber optic from Dawson Precsion, i don't mind the plain black rear sight but my eyes aren't what they used to be, the black front sight has to go.

·
Registered
294 Posts
oso,

That's awesome you got the 1911 and know enough about it to make it into a project gun. She has got to shoot much better with all the new internals aside from barrel right? Wish I knew as much about guns as you. Waiting for range report.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
i am considering doing a 1911 9mm rock island my self so keep us up dated

jhp

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
made it to the range today, had afternoon off waiting on a rooftop shingle delivery. here is some pics. first shot off a rest at 10yds.,this is a 8 shot group. Shooting sport Target archery Recreation Shooting Individual sports Shooting sport Recreation Shooting Individual sports Sport venue

then 10 yds. off hand Shooting sport Target archery Recreation Shooting Individual sports 1 flier

i was going to shoot from the rest at 25 yds. but with the black background on the target and my sights being solid black i couldn't get a good sight picture. i will shoot off rest from 25 yds. once i install a fiber optic front sight. now i did shoot off hand at 25 yds.,here is a pic. Darts Shooting sport Recreation Individual sports Games

i don't think i will have to fit a barrel, i think the pistol is now more accurate than i am. the only other changes i will make are grip panels,front sight (fiber optic) and maybe mainspring housing it is polymer. doesn't really bother me that it is polymer, may just wait to replace if it wears out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have to say, that first target looks like you only hit it 5 times, lol. That's some nice shooting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts