Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After several visits to "fondle" this one, I finally brought home the bundle of joy . . .

To clarify (as there had been some discussion on break in for these) the owner's manual said that 500 rounds was the usual break in count for this gun.

First thing I did was field strip it to clean it only to find it BONE DRY!!! Not an ounce of packing grease or other factory lubricant. Spent 20 minutes oiling then cycling the slide, firing snap caps, etc. and then took it down again to find the Rem Oil I had applied was nowhere to be seen so I repeated the entire process. Want this thing as lubed/loose as possible before taking it to the range for official break in. Lots of squared off edges and felt rough in a few spots - notably the feed ramp and rail edges/ends. I did note the feed ramp is a little more vertical (not as "diagonally smooth" as the other auto-pistols I own) and the first snap cap didn't jump into the chamber nor did the first live round I tried chambering - expect a few failure to feeds in the beginning but everything ejected nice and smoothly. Hope to be a good purchase and functional gun in the long run.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

I brought the same model home just before Christmas...

Added a set of VZ Grips 'ECT' G10 panels for a little personal touch. I love the way this weapon handles and it shoots like a dream. VERY impressed with it so far. I'd be careful though, if you get around the die-hard 1911 crowd they'll eat you alive for calling a 4" barrel a "Commander". I've got a couple hundred rounds through it by now and it's been issue free so far...

Reactions: Willboat

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I have the CS model and sent it to Arnel at Armscor Precision for his magic tune up and night sight job after about 100 rounds. Since I've had it back now I've put 3000+ rounds of everything through the gun without a single problem. It has become my daily carry gun.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
351 Posts
Arnel and Shawn are both super gunsmiths. Talked to Arnel about my Citadel (also Armscor/RIA) and they sold me the Ambi safety for mine. I'm a lefty so it was somewhat necessary. When I got it, it only took 10 minutes to install and functioned perfectly.

Not too many companies around where you can actually call them ant talk directly to the smith that's going to work on your gun! Dang near as good customer service as I've had with Taurus.

BTW Sniper, them are some very pretty grips on yours!

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SNIPER: Those ARE nice grips!! Any other work in addition to a new pair of mitt handles? Also, I rarely hang out with 1911 purists. At the range I frequent, most handgun shooters are shooting the latest compact this or revolver that . . . .

joec: I think I remember your mentioning a refurbishing in another thread. You here state that after you got it back it has been a dream; any issues before the "magic tune up", etc?

I do like not having to remove a barrel bushing but the removal of the recoil spring guide is a little clunky - wish they had included a little tool for that (even if it was a sawed off or shortened allen wrench) instead of having to mangle a paper clip for this. Also, I can tell from just field stripping this thing a few times that the parkerized finish won't last long.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats, daytonaredeye, on your acquisition of one fine-lookin' 1911.

Here's hoping she shoots as good as she looks. ;)

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
daytonaredeye, have you tried a fluff and buff on the feed ramp or applying gun grease/gun butter to the slide? Also, Miltec might be a good lube if the steel is soaking up that much oil. I've used a soft stone on a few rough finished edges in the past.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, quick range report.

1. To my surprise, only one failure to feed out of ~ 120 rounds. It was the last round in the mag and, per the statistics, was a mag problem. The OEM factory mag that came with the gun is kinda cheaply made; the follower is a flimsy piece of tin and I kept wondering if it would warp if the wind blew. Fortunately, the mags from my PT1911 fit and function perfectly in it. No problems with the Taurus mags.
2. All rounds - round nose FMJs, "wide mouth" hollow points and "ballistic" tipped hollow points (Hornady Critical Defense) - fed equally well.
3. Only complaints are (a)the narrow lipped grip safety really made me appreciate the beaver tail (wide lipped) grip safety of my PT1911. No hammer bite, per se, but got a little uncomfortable running mag after mag. The brief reload pauses in shooting was pleasant and (b) the mil spec sights are a little tough to see and line up initially but got better after about 10 minutes of shooting when I got used to them.
4. The 1 inch less barrel length seemed to make for a less heavy and more compact gun to hold during shooting but I thought I detected a little more felt recoil and barrel rise - fair trade off, though, overall.

Overall, I was very pleased and quite happy with my purchase; I believe this gun has potential to be a daily carry but want to wait till a couple hundred more rounds down range.

Reactions: Tracker627

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Looks like you got you a keeper!! Enjoy....

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Nice pistol, and nice shooting!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Very nice, and it looks like it agrees with you! :)

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Congrats enjoy your new friend!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
101 Posts
SNIPER: Those ARE nice grips!! Any other work in addition to a new pair of mitt handles? Also, I rarely hang out with 1911 purists. At the range I frequent, most handgun shooters are shooting the latest compact this or revolver that . . . .
Thank you Sir.

I had a few plans for "upgrades" that ended as soon as I took it out for the first range trip. It shot so well that I don't want to change a thing now...

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Very nice sir, i'm sure you're gonna love that RIA. I absolutely love my full size A1, and the gun is way more accurate than i am with those standard GI "sights". I like to think of them more as "general reference points" since i've grown so used to the 3-dots on my PT945.

Mine was only slightly greasy internally, but i still stripped it all down, cleaned it with Hoppe's #9, lubed it with RemOil and then to my surprise as well, the oil was almost non-existent after racking the slide a few times. So i disassembled and applied a light coat of synthetic wheel bearing grease to all the moving parts. I normally just use it on the slide rails, but since it seems like the finish just absorbed the RemOil or something, i've since switched to using Break Free CLP on all my guns.

I wouldn't worry too much about the first round chambering, i had some trouble with it as well. Figured out if i let the slide and spring do their job, a good hard slingshot back sends that first round in with no problems. Maybe try running some JHP's through it to help break in that feed ramp, and you should have a fine operating pistol on your side. I've got about 250 rounds through mine now, here's my target from saturday at 7 yards away. I need to put up a range report but i didn't get a chance to yesterday. No key-holing with 230 gr Federal Champions from Walmart, so i was pretty happy with the results that day. And yes, the two "eyes" on the target were on purpose, just wish i had better sights to put a nose and mouth on there as well. Lol

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I carry the same RIA 1911 in commander size. I would like to get more info on the tune up and get the trigger eased a bit. I also have an Armscor Charles Daly 1911 EFS Target in stainless and the trigger is about 2 lbs less pull and much smoother. The RIA is very accurate but some different sights would probably enhance accuracy even more.

RIA.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ouchie!!!

OK, I mentioned in my range report that the skinny lipped grip safety was somewhat irritating (making me appreciate the wide lipped beavertail grip safety a bit more); well a couple of days after the range trip I was putting the gun away as I was heading out of town. When I picked it up and gripped it, I felt an OUCH where the tip of the grip safety makes contact with the webbing between the thumb and trigger finger and noticed a blistering I hadn't noted before. It hadn't even felt painful since the range trip and I guess I just had to have the tip of the grip hit the spot it had rubbed for me to notice it. Well, here it is . . . .

As I said, no hammer bite, per se, but a nice blisterin'

Yeah, I know this likely would only happen with repetitive shooting (like a range visit) but I will probably look to replace the grip safety with a beavertail version or wear a glove or something. Still very satisfied with the shooter - just a little hitch in its giddy-up . . .

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Looks like a nice pistola, but I do have a question. Did you put the idiot scratch on it, or did it come that way? (not calling you an idiot - it's just what that scratch under the slide stop is called) When you put the slide stop back in never push it all the way in 'till it touches the frame and then slide it up to take it home. You have to get the plunger back a little with the tip, and then push it straight in - or the scratch will get worse. JAT

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like a nice pistola, but I do have a question. Did you put the idiot scratch on it, or did it come that way? (not calling you an idiot - it's just what that scratch under the slide stop is called) When you put the slide stop back in never push it all the way in 'till it touches the frame and then slide it up to take it home. You have to get the plunger back a little with the tip, and then push it straight in - or the scratch will get worse. JAT
Sorry, took me a minute to figure out what you were referring to. Looked at my OP pic and saw the small blemish extending down from rear end of slide stop and initially thought it was flash glare but just looked at the pistol and you are right, there is a small marking there. I may have done it the first time I took it apart since I was new to it. I've taken it down three times now - twice in the pre-range cleaning and once post range. The slide stop really does come out quite easily - much more easily than that in my PT1911. It almost falls out with gravity at the "slide stop removal" part of the take down. After the first time, when I really wasn't sure if there would be tension in that maneuver, I usually just drop it back in with gravity. I read that parkerized finishes may be prone to easy scratching and may at some future point have the finish re-done. I have no idea if another prospective customer did any take downs while it was still on display, though. As per my comments, though, as well, my first goal will be changing out the grip safety to something which won't scratch/blister my hands.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts