Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the LGS order me a Rio Grande in 45-70 and picked it up today. I must say that I'm not impressed. The finish on the wood is mediocre to poor and the forearm is even split where they installed the sling stud. The scope rail wasn't touching the receiver (was off by at least 1/8"), turned out all four screws were loose, and one was even cross-threaded. The rail itself was riding on a pool of congealed glue. Also, at least half the screws in the receiver were loose to barely finger tight.

I re-seated the screws using a bit of purple Loctite, threw away that useless rail, and I plan to fill the crack, strip and refinish the wood work. All together I think the gun will make a serviceable beater, but really Taurus/Rossi...for shame.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Got to ask, why did you except the rifle? It seems to me that this should have been LGS's problem, not yours.

I have both the 45-70 and the 30-30, which I had rebored/rechambered to 38-55 Win, but both are well built rifles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got to ask, why did you except the rifle? It seems to me that this should have been LGS's problem, not yours.

I have both the 45-70 and the 30-30, which I had rebored/rechambered to 38-55 Win, but both are well built rifles.
I picked up the gun on the way home from work and the LGS was about to close, so I checked for the usual dings, dents and scratches, but I didn't take enough time to give it a good going over. I didn't notice the above mentioned issues until later while cleaning the rifle. Like I said in the original post, I re-seated the screws and used Loctite to hold them in place. I also found that once I got the scope rail off I prefer the rifle nekked (so to speak), so not really an issue in the end. The only thing that I consider a real pain is the cracked forearm, but I can fix that myself and don't feel it's worth sending back to the factory over.

The rifle overall seems mechanically sound, I'll just need to keep an eye on those screws (but we should do that anyway).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a pic of what I failed to see until I had it under a bright light...

A little epoxy, some sandpaper, linseed or tung oil and it will be (mostly) gone.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
Dings, dents, and scratches MIGHT be the fault of UPS....just sayin'. My long guns usually wind up with "character marks" anyway, bu tsend it back if it bothers you.

·
Super Moderator
21,452 Posts
I would send back a rifle in that shape but everyone has a line in the sand. Enjoy yours and I hope its a great shooter. congrats :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looking forward to a range report on this one... I've looked at Rossi's 45-70 a few times online.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I managed to get out to my brother's place in the country this weekend. I only had access to a 25 yard range in his back yard, but it was good enough to check out function and sights.

The rifle did well, though it consistently shot to the left. I won't swear it was the gun because we were shooting off-hand, but my bro and I had the same experience (and he's a much better shot than I am). High and left with Remington Express, low and left with my handloads ( 405 gr HSM hard cast over 30 gr IMR4198 ). The buckhorn sights were OK, but having to use a small hammer and punch to adjust the windage is a bit too imprecise for me. When I got home I placed an order for a Williams peep sight (FP-336, supposed to be a near perfect fit), should make life a bit easier.

All told the rifle did well. The recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, more of a hard shove than a kick in the teeth. I think this is a keeper.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the update! Might possibly be one of these in my future...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
When I got home I placed an order for a Williams peep sight (FP-336, supposed to be a near perfect fit), should make life a bit easier.
How about a report back on how the FP-336 fits. The Weaver 63B scope base used on the Marlins does not fit the RG series the threaded holes in the receiver are larger.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about a report back on how the FP-336 fits. The Weaver 63B scope base used on the Marlins does not fit the RG series the threaded holes in the receiver are larger.
Here ya go...

The FP-336 fits with a couple of caveats. The screws that came with it were too large, but luckily I had some 6-48 x 1/8 oval head in the parts cabinet. Perfect size and the oval head self-centers the sight in the mount holes.

The second issue is the contours of the receiver. The bevel on either side of the Marlin 336 are apparently quite a bit more pronounced than on the RG4570. It keeps the elevation from bottoming out properly, but should not be an issue in the field. Won't know until I get it out to the range.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looking forward to a range report on this one... I've looked at Rossi's 45-70 a few times online.
Drifting the iron sights , to get a zero is just standard operating procedure for me . And filing down the front sight , if it shoots too low .

I have looking at these rifles , but so far , I have not been able to justify the $$$ .

New tires & some front end work on wifey's car has dried up my gun fund . :-(

Also thinking about a Rossi single shot .45-70 .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have one of these on layaway now. looks really nice and is in the stainless. my question is should i go w/ a scope or remove the rail and go w/ a peepsight? If i go with the scope, what should i get. i know many scopes won't handle the kick of a 45-70 too well.

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
Buy the best optics you can afford. Low end, optically sometimes so, so, but I've never had a mechanical problem with a Bushnell. A Bushnell 3x9x40 Trophy will set you back about $100. A step up to the 200-300 dollar price range is Weaver, Nikon, Leupold VX1, and a host of others that you should consider if you have the scratch. DON'T go for a 40 dollar Tasco or something. I have had problems with a Simmons Whitetail on a 7mm Rem Mag. That's one I'd scratch off my list, Simmons.

Personally, I don't like optics on lever guns, but in my old age, if I were going to hunt with the gun, I'd put a low power scope on it with a 40mm objective. I have a 2x10x40KV Weaver on my .308 and love it, very versatile, good optics, very strong rifle scope. A 2x7 or even a 1.5x4 on a .45-70 would be fine, but many lower power scopes have 22 to 32mm objectives. A 40mm or bigger will bring in more light at twilight. That's important for me in the woods.

Just my thoughts on the subject. If you have young enough eyes, nothing wrong with a receiver aperture like the OP's. I like a ghost ring site, personally, and is what I have on my Rossi 92.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Premium Member
12,774 Posts
I used a peep on my 92 and it works for me. My eyes aren't good enough for the buckhorn sights, so it was either the peep or a scope. I do manage with the buckhorn sights on my M94 winchester rifles, but if they were tapped for a peep I'd have put one on them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts