Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I finally got around to putting a red dot sight on my M&P-15. It is a Vortex Crossfire, with a 2 MOA dot. My 54 year old eyes are not quite as sharp as they were when I was in the Marines, 35 years ago, but the red dot is certainly "faster" than my irons.

It has a lower 1/3 co-witness, that is cool because when I flip up the rear sight to use the irons, and lower my face a bit to get them lined up, the dot comes down and sits right on top of the FSP. If I flip the rear down and just use the dot, then the dot goes up just a tad to sit "above" the FSP. I like it...a lot!

I do a 50 yard zero with the .223/5.56mm, that way I am about 1.5" high at 100, about 1.5" low at 200, and about 9" low at 300...that is for 55-62 grain loads, which is about all I stock. It works for me, and I was able to hit the 12" steel gong, that my gun club has set up, 7 out of 10 times. Good enough for me.

I like the Vortex red dot, and for the price (149$), I recommend it. ;)

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congrats on the new RDS. I'm with you on the old eyes not working as well as they used to. For me the RDS is good at 50yds. and in. It's easy to see and much quicker than irons. Out to 100yds I'm not so sure there is a huge difference for me between the RDS and irons. My old eyes are looking for some magnification at that point!

I would like to try one of the newer 1-6 scopes that are on the market but don't want to spend the money just to experiment. It appears, from watching various videos, they work pretty darn well. For me the biggest thing is added weight compared to a RDS.

·
Administrator
35,312 Posts
Looks good ! I had a Bushnell red dot on mine but went to a regular scope a couple of years ago, a Canon 2-7x because my 50-something year old eyes just shoot better with that. At 50 yards though, a red do works great for me.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
all kind of depends on what the weapon is set up for to me.
Like my regular AR 556 i have irons and a 3 X 9 compact scope on it, on the S&W Ar15-22 I have both a 3 x 9 comapct scope and can easily change it out to a simple red dot( doesn't seem to change zero) of either by swapping them out on the rail, on my new house gun AR 15 300 Blackout I went straight with a red dot/laser combo.
I am with you guys and old man eyes but I figure even if the red dot on the 300 craps out at an important time at the range i will be using it i can point the barrel and shoot and hit them.
heres what she will do with the red dot and a simple rest at 15 yards, does the same at 25 yards. that works for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the new RDS. I'm with you on the old eyes not working as well as they used to. For me the RDS is good at 50yds. and in. It's easy to see and much quicker than irons. Out to 100yds I'm not so sure there is a huge difference for me between the RDS and irons. My old eyes are looking for some magnification at that point!

I would like to try one of the newer 1-6 scopes that are on the market but don't want to spend the money just to experiment. It appears, from watching various videos, they work pretty darn well. For me the biggest thing is added weight compared to a RDS.
I agree about the weight. My idea was to be able to engage a human size target, fairly quickly, out to about 250 yards or so. With the weight of a scope and mount added, not to mention the added size/bulk, it kinda defeated the purpose of a fast carbine in my mind.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all kind of depends on what the weapon is set up for to me.
Like my regular AR 556 i have irons and a 3 X 9 compact scope on it, on the S&W Ar15-22 I have both a 3 x 9 comapct scope and can easily change it out to a simple red dot( doesn't seem to change zero) of either by swapping them out on the rail, on my new house gun AR 15 300 Blackout I went straight with a red dot/laser combo.
I am with you guys and old man eyes but I figure even if the red dot on the 300 craps out at an important time at the range i will be using it i can point the barrel and shoot and hit them.
heres what she will do with the red dot and a simple rest at 15 yards, does the same at 25 yards. that works for me.
Nice pistol you got there!

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Nice pistol you got there!
Thanks-- so far I have really, really enjoyed it--more fun than a barrel of monkeys .
one of the ENABLERS here turned me on to it from PSA for like 499 I think it was.
it was a completed gun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the Vortex red dot, and for the price (149$), I recommend it. ;)
I am just going to echo your comments on older eyes and red dots: it's a great way to go. I mounted a Vortex SPARCII RDS on my Beretta CX4 carbine, and couldn't be happier. Vortex products have been excellent performers for me, and they're a great value as well. I, too, highly recommend red dot sights in general for those of us getting up in age, especially those from Vortex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts