Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This guy was sleeping and didn't even see the hoe coming. The bad part is I hit him with a glancing blow and caught him with the edge. He's got a nice gash in him but he flipped off the log and scurried under the barn. The wife wanted me to shoot him with the pt145, but it should have been a nice clean kill. I was more worried about a riccochet off the pipe the snake was next to. The guy wascompletely motionless and didn't even have his tongue moving.

The video my wife took while sitting in the truck was quite comical.

Oh well video link won't work. Its probably best since my wife is heckling me in it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
those judges are frinkin sweet If you know you will have many uses for the gun I wouldnt hesitate on getting one. I wouldn't use the .410 in a small barrel for self protection against an attacker but It will be perfect for blasting those varmints.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
What, are you daft? Don't scatter-shoot that skin! Plink his noggin with a .22!
Where I'm from his .45 would have been considered plinking! :D :D

(if we didn't live in the city limits, I'd have a judge for just such an occasion!)

Reactions: leejack and Denton

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
This is a rat snake a little over 8 foot long. I have never seen a rat snake this big and thick and he was on top of the limb so if was a little hard to see him, in any case I thought he was poisonous so I shot him with my Judge. He was about 20 feet above me so it was a good head shot with #8 shot.

This late summer is bringing all the snakes and scorpions out, so I been keeping the old Judge loaded up with #8s.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We don't have snakes here in Hawaii... Have to think of another excuse to buy a judge

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Luckily there are no native poisonous snakes up here. I just pick up the ones I find, if they do not slither away on their own, and move them where I will not mow them.

When I was weed whacking I found a garter snake, about 3' long, and he made me do the snake dance.

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Used to hunt snakes with my 16 ga when I was stationed in Nevada

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you spend a bunch of money on toys in 3months, I need to justify it with the boss. When she is terrified about something its usually an easier sell. My buddy has an old Taurus 357 I've been trying to get him to let go of for $200. I can get by with that and some snake shot and have money for ammo.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
After you shoot it, are you going to cook it up and eat it? :p I hear rattlers taste like chicken.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
After you shoot it, are you going to cook it up and eat it? :p I hear rattlers taste like chicken.
morelike froglegs and fish combo

jhp
anythings a good excuse to buy a judge

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would not eat one head shot. If you intend to eat them make sure you sever the head cleanly while they are still alive. The last thing you want to do it get the poison in the meat. Even if the snake is non-poisonous it will have some toxins, so make sure the head is cleanly severed. Think of it like leaving the grizzard in a turkey and cooking it, it just ruins the taste.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
We have quite a few copperheads in our neck of the woods and haven't seen a rattler, per se, in years. I don't own a Judge but I do keep shotshells in 40 and 45ACP around for such work.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The .410 is vastly superior to any pistol case shot shell and with any auto pistol cartridge you are only getting one shot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Luckily there are no native poisonous snakes up here. I just pick up the ones I find, if they do not slither away on their own, and move them where I will not mow them.
Us mainers are luck we dont have to deal with that stuff. I was fishing not to long ago and I was walking through the bushes and stepped on a nice 3.5 foot critter and I almost had to change my shorts.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Ive killed 5 copperheads this year already at work. Pellet guns and hoes, what a combo.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts