Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an email yesterday from a SOS listing trade in Ohio National Guard Remington 870's.

I didn't need another shot gun, but for $249.99 and free shipping there was no way to pass on it. Glad I did cause they were sold out in a couple hours.

Factory folding stock and bayonet lug...most tactiCOOL. The full stock versions were $10 less. I'll get it this Monday, I know it's gonna be rough. but hoping the mechanics will be in great shape.

Pics from their web site.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Congrats. Nice find.

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Wow, whudda buy! Those are metal folding stocks, aren't they? I have a newer setup with a plastic stock, but those steel units look to be bullet proof.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep all metal. Only plastic on these is the pistol grip. The folding stock won't be a lot of fun to shoot 00 thru, but cant be any worst than this.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I REALLY do not like pistol gripped shotguns.

Gawd awful things to shoot. Ain't comfortable to shoot with much more than birdshot. Can't really aim them unless you want to run the risk of eating the back of the receiver.

Got no use for the things in a HD situation, either. I like butt stocks. Yeah, I get it, they are shorter and easier to maneuver in close quarters. But you just never know when somebody will need a good, old fashioned butt stroke. Yeah, you can just crack him in the chops with the receiver but then you have to worry about blood on bluing and we all know that's a very bad thing.

With all being said, them's some seriously cool shotguns.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I'm not a fan of pistol grips, either, but then shotguns are for bird hunting. :D That's a wingmaster. It begs for a shorter magazine and longer barrel. :D

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
981 Posts
Awesome purchase. I love a nice riot oriented shot gun. I'd have bought one in a heartbeat at that price.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm not a fan of pistol grips, either, but then shotguns are for bird hunting. :D That's a wingmaster. It begs for a shorter magazine and longer barrel. :D
Don't need a shorter magazine, use a longer dowel rod. The barrel? yeah, could be longer, FWIW, get one with screw-in chokes, that's the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
My self/bear/cougar defense shotgun is a 20 inch RIA M5 12 gauge with top folding stock. The trick when shooting it is to keep my check off that frame. My hunting shotgun, however, is an 870 with stock butt. Different guns for different purposes.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Don't need a shorter magazine, use a longer dowel rod. The barrel? yeah, could be longer, FWIW, get one with screw-in chokes, that's the ticket.
Well, it all depends on the balance of the shotgun. :D I'll keep my O/U and my other hunting guns, of course. I had a Wingmaster when I was a kid in 20 gauge. Sold it in college when I was desperate for money. I regretted it many times. The gun had been given to me by my grandpa. I kept the rifle, the M10, but sold that one. :banghead:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked it up at my FFL Monday. I was surprised at the condition, no way it was ever issued. It is missing the push button latch that locks the stock in place, I have a machinist friend that can make me one.

I'm honestly not a fan of folders, but I knew it would be more valuable with the folding stock. Bought what was listed as a military surplus wood stock for it off ebay Sunday night. Gonna refinish it and the forend in dark walnut.

I stripped it down and it shows zero wear. Best $249.99 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
981 Posts
That is one heck of a beauty! Congrats.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Picked it up at my FFL Monday. I was surprised at the condition, no way it was ever issued. It is missing the push button latch that locks the stock in place, I have a machinist friend that can make me one.

I'm honestly not a fan of folders, but I knew it would be more valuable with the folding stock. Bought what was listed as a military surplus wood stock for it off ebay Sunday night. Gonna refinish it and the forend in dark walnut.

I stripped it down and it shows zero wear. Best $249.99 I've ever spent.

If you bought it as a collector piece, LEAVE IT ALONE.

Replace the locking button if it's needed but don't start refinishing, rebluing and modifying. If it has collector's value, being in original condition is really the biggest and most important thing. The imperfections are why it's collectible. Replace this and refinish that, means it's not original and the value goes down accordingly. Major refinishing is the death knell for collector value. Once you reblue or refinish large portions of the gun, it's a shooter not a collector and shooter prices are MUCH lower than collector prices on most popular guns like an 870.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen old guns like Single Action Army's and Winchester '97's with potential collector's values ruined by some halfwit that thinks they are more valuable 'cleaned up a little' by removing what's left of the finish with a wire wheel (usually along with most of the markings) or refinishing or replacing the stock because it was 'beat up a little and looked bad'.

On the other hand, if you bought it as a shooter, do what you want. That means it's just an old gun that you picked up cheap. Enjoy it!

Just don't expect anybody other than a complete sucker to pay collector prices for it down the road if you do anything other that leave it as is, shoot it and clean it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you bought it as a collector piece, LEAVE IT ALONE.

Replace the locking button if it's needed but don't start refinishing, rebluing and modifying. If it has collector's value, being in original condition is really the biggest and most important thing. The imperfections are why it's collectible. Replace this and refinish that, means it's not original and the value goes down accordingly. Major refinishing is the death knell for collector value. Once you reblue or refinish large portions of the gun, it's a shooter not a collector and shooter prices are MUCH lower than collector prices on most popular guns like an 870.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen old guns like Single Action Army's and Winchester '97's with potential collector's values ruined by some halfwit that thinks they are more valuable 'cleaned up a little' by removing what's left of the finish with a wire wheel (usually along with most of the markings) or refinishing or replacing the stock because it was 'beat up a little and looked bad'.

On the other hand, if you bought it as a shooter, do what you want. That means it's just an old gun that you picked up cheap. Enjoy it!

Just don't expect anybody other than a complete sucker to pay collector prices for it down the road if you do anything other that leave it as is, shoot it and clean it.

The finish is in great shape, no need for any refinishing work. I did refinish the forend, but it wasn't marked and I know for a fact I can pick up a beat up 870 corncob if I want it to look used, even though the gun looks to have never been issued.

I called the company yesterday asking if maybe they had any loose parts laying in the bottom of the crate the 870's shipped in, she said nope. Sent them an email asking the same question, and forwarded a pic of the latch pin. spring, and C clip I was missing. Got a reply this morning saying they found all the parts except the C clip and gave me a FedEx tracking number. Will arrive Thursday. That's some killer customer service. I can buy a C clip at Ace.

I'm gonna shoot the crap out of it!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you want, the Remington will accept and function well with the Aguilar 1.75 inch reduced recoil defensive loads. Should hold 8 in the tube.

·
23,103 Posts
What a find! Congratulations! For those who read this thread later, jtg452 is dispensing wisdom most profound.

Reactions: jtg452 and WooD

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Is this shotgun an Iraq veteran or something? Sure looks cool with the bayonet. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts