Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you suggest an IWB holster for one of these rail guns? Gunna havta have one.
You're gonna hafta up-size your pants a bit to make it fit. Oh, and those 1"thick power cables tagging along behind you may be a tip off...

·
Registered
24,539 Posts
Will it fit in my 64 VW Beetle?

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Can you suggest an IWB holster for one of these rail guns? Gunna havta have one.
Oh, hell, why not? People actually try to conceal the Judge....:icon_ poke::biggrin:

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Go Navy! ;)

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Thumbs up!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
think they are going to need a bigger berm, did they check downrange?

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Saw those same videos last year. From my understanding, it is now undergoing sea trials, unless something changed.

Edit Note: If this is used to knock down an airborne target, and it missed the target. How far will a 28 pound object, traveling at Mach 6? Will it go into space? If not, then how far will it go, say it was fired with an elevation of 20 degrees above the horizon? This thing has no on board guidance system and no self destruct capability. Where will it go if it misses? ........I guess they don't plan to miss!

Reactions: john_bud

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I googled orbital velocity of low earth orbit, seems to be around 8 km/second.

Now, this rail gun fires maybe 6000 fps if it's mach six, roughly 1000 fps being speed of sound IIRC. 6000 ft is 1.8288 km. So, you're still shy about 3 or 4 times what it'd take to reach orbital velocity.

Yeah, it's fast, but it ain't THAT fast. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Mach six, checks mix. I've seen faster speeds than that on any given Friday go-home highway traffic 'round here, especially if it's a three-day holiday weekend. And the objects performing this blazing speed are maneuverable, too, unlike those 28 pound projectiles the Navy is using. It's simply mind-blowing how quickly a high speed automobile can change lanes to gain any advantage. '

·
Banned
15,276 Posts

Now, this rail gun fires maybe 6000 fps if it's mach six, roughly 1000 fps being speed of sound IIRC. 6000 ft is 1.8288 km. So, you're still shy about 3 or 4 times what it'd take to reach orbital velocity.

To really figure this all out, one would need to know the drag coefficient of the object and a few environmental calculations as well. Thanks for the reply, that was more of a rhetorical question, a food for thought if you will.:D

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
The Railguns have already been fitted on warships and have (if I remember correctly) been given the go-ahead. Fact is that this project is most likely much further along than any news outlet would know (think about the SR71 Blackbird - in use since 1966 but the general public found out about it in the late 80's)

Also, a hand-held rail gun is theoretically plausible - the power source is the only component missing. Kids have constructed railguns for science projects, for crying out loud. This one is not a kid:

·
Registered
14,647 Posts
When dealing with any hyper velocity rounds, drag is the main concern. If they can find a way to reduce that effectively, they might be able to push the speeds up well beyond Mach 6. As an aside, the SR-71 topped out well over mach 6. Portable power sources for handheld rail guns currently would exceed what a troop could carry. The issues there are really in the rapid fire department. I would rather take an AR that will fire at 600+ rounds a minute as opposed to a rail gun that would only fire and maybe 3 per minute.

Reactions: z28z34man

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Saw those same videos last year. From my understanding, it is now undergoing sea trials, unless something changed.

Edit Note: If this is used to knock down an airborne target, and it missed the target. How far will a 28 pound object, traveling at Mach 6? Will it go into space? If not, then how far will it go, say it was fired with an elevation of 20 degrees above the horizon? This thing has no on board guidance system and no self destruct capability. Where will it go if it misses? ........I guess they don't plan to miss!
A clean miss is not going to land for 100 miles. Escape velocity is 7 MILES per second or mach a whole bunch. (Exact speed of sound changes at different elevations) I'm guessing it could ruin your day even out 100 miles.

your reference is off some as escape velocity is 7 miles / sec.

When dealing with any hyper velocity rounds, drag is the main concern. If they can find a way to reduce that effectively, they might be able to push the speeds up well beyond Mach 6. As an aside, the SR-71 topped out well over mach 6. Portable power sources for handheld rail guns currently would exceed what a troop could carry. The issues there are really in the rapid fire department. I would rather take an AR that will fire at 600+ rounds a minute as opposed to a rail gun that would only fire and maybe 3 per minute.
I'd only read the blackbird was good for mach 3 and change. any reference on the mach 6? Only craft hitting 6+ was the x15 and it reached a skin temperature OVER 2700f!. Unless you have higher clearance than this couch commando and heard better rumours!

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Originally Posted by NativeTexan

your reference is off some as escape velocity is 7 miles / sec.
ORBITAL velocity, not escape velocity.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
BTW, I watched "The Eraser" last night. :D

Reactions: bigC
1 - 20 of 27 Posts