Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend and I were shooting his new public defender poly yesterday, and noticed that when shooting federal 000 buck, about every 2nd or 3rd shot the cylinder would lock. could not get the cyl to fire in either double action or single. could not even get the trigger into single action. after working the cylinder release and moving the cylinder around a little, it would free up and go back to firing. we also tried winchester self defence rounds which it had no problems with, and 45LC wich it ate up like candy.

Is there somthing to look for on these as to why they don't like the federal ammo? or is this gun defective?

I'm a mechanic by trade, so I don't mind working on the gun a little if there's somthing I can look at or adjust to help this weapon out.

Thanks for you help,!

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Sounds like the "protruding primer" gremlins, to me. Odd that it's with Federals, though...maybe just a bad lot? The only Feds that I ever had an issue with, were the .45LCs (blue box, Hi Shok or something like that). Judges are fickle about ammo.

BTW...Just noticed this is your first post. Welcome aboard!!!:wave:

Reactions: dieselfume

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your barrel/cylinder gap. If its too tight, when the gun gets warm it will tend to hangup there. Have a 650 that did the same.
What is the correct gap? or is there supposed to be just enough for the cylinder to rotate and no more than that?

Thank you for the welcome guys. !

·
5,686 Posts
It's the Federal ammo and partly because it's new. Same thing happened with my Judge. I could only shoot PDX1 and 45LC in it with out issues. Now that it's been broke in with the Winchester ammo, I'm able to shoot Federal, but still have a few that hang up. I had even called Taurus about this issue and they had suggested switching ammo first before sending it in. Problem solved after changing ammo and braking it in. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cleaned and lubed the pistol up with Frog Lube like all my other guns. gonna take it out today and see if anything changes. This stuff so far has been a miricle lubricant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I cant tell you exact specs because i don't know them. Tighter is better, but to Tight may bind it up when hot. Hopefully you get this straightened out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I cleaned the gun and then re-lubed with Frog Lube and after 40 shots the problem hasn't come back... This stuff is amazing! I've used it in my other guns with great success as well.!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar problem with a new Public Defender Judge. Spent a lot of time trying different 410 ammunition. To make a long story short, the trigger and hammer would lock up without any ammunition in it and the cylinder empty. I was sitting in a chair putting empty shells in it looking at the primers and discovered where the actual problem was. When you pull the hammer back some, then gently release it, the cylinder would get out-of-time and that was causing it to jam. I would pull the hammer back to rotate the cylinder so a specific kind of ammunition would fire first and it would jam. Once it was out-of-time, it was easy enough to rotate the cylinder until it locked into place, then it would fire.
It would always fire in single or double action modes, but it you cocked the hammer for single action, then happened to touch or move the cylinder and got it out-of-time, it would lock up. This is not a desirable function for a revolver. I went back and checked all of my other revolvers and the Taurus was the only one with this unique trait. The others would continue to rotate the cylinder when you pulled the trigger until it fired.

So the bottom line is, if your revolver jams with live ammunition, it may not be the ammunition at all. To check it, remove all ammunition from the cylinder, pull the hammer back a little, then gently release it and pull the trigger. Do this in several different increments like 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn and 3/4 turn to advance it to the next round on all of your cylinders. If none of them drag, get stiff or lock up and jam, then you revolver doesn't have this condition and you can continue to find which ammunition fires best in your revolver.

Hope this helps in solving your problems,

Own2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts