Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eyeballing a PT809C for a couple weeks now and searching all over the internet for good reviews, information, and accessories for them. I didn't find much but either way I did find some good reviews and really wanted one so I went ahead and bought it. I did have a couple questions if anybody has any ideas...

First, My new Taurus did not come with a little manila envelope with a spent cartridge in it? is that a normal thing with taurus? I called the store where I bought it and the Manager said none of the other Taurus boxes had them either? I thought all new pistols came with one.

Second, when I punch in my serial number on Taurus website under the "find my model" link at bottom of the page it keeps coming up with "no matches for your serial number were found". I get the information for my Taurus 605 when I enter it and copying serial numbers from some pictures on the taurus website it pops up with the model number and manufacture date every time? Is it possible that my pistol has a serial number that doesn't exist?

Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you buy the unit in the US?

The serial number search box on the Taurus website is only for U.S. sold guns. Guns exported form the US or Brazil is not included in the database. I tried entering my 809 E (export maybe?) in the serial search but it didn't find it.

In my country the Firearms And Explosive Division (FED) is required to shoot the gun before releasing it from the government warehouse. The round that they use is paid by the buyer so they give the casing (sometimes!) most of the time the FED agent pockets the casing since it's resold.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I read in another post that you either have to register it with Taurus or that it may be too new to show up yet; You could call Taurus at the 800# and ask them;

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
You have to register the gun on the Taurus website and then in a few days the S/N will work for the date made.
Spent cartridge is only for certain anti-gun States.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If your State requires a ballistic ID, the dealer or FFL you picked it up from will have to send it to the proper Agency to test fire a round and collect the casing (in some States, a 3rd party collector may be used) This is the only reason you would need that fired case.

Taurus has never included them with any of their firearms.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Yep I bought it in the US.
Congrats on your new pistol!

I've acquired 10 new Taurus handguns in recent years and none of them had included a small brown envelople with a spent cartridge casing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that makes me feel better. I guess I just thought it would have one. My S&W SR40C had one and the Bersa Thunder .380CC had one. I just wanted it because it would have the manufacture date printed on the envelope. I did register it on the Taurus website but I will have to wait a few days to see if it shows up. I hope it was manufactured in 2011 or 2012.. I read on another post that the first year of manufacture on these 800 series compacts were notorious for problems :mad:........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks MilProGuy, I did find that thread.... some good information there. I had originally been wanting a PT840C but after careful consideration and some posts about other people's 809C I went for the 809C. I also like the thought of being able to shoot a little more with it because at least here in WA the 9mm ammo can be had for $19.98 for 100 rd. box of Federal Premium at Wal-Mart. The .40S&W ammo is at least $15.00 per 50 rd. box. Besides I feel like 9mm is plenty for a defense round anyway.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New mexico, I look forward to your range report. Be sure to clean it really good before the first trip though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome from Miami. And congrats on your new toy.
I actually sold my Mil Pro and my 709 Slim a couple of days ago and ordered me an 809c today, can't wait for it to arrive. In the meantime my 605 snubby is keeping me company.
Cheers,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congratulations! I ordered an 809C from Jetguns and it arrived at my FFL today. I'll pick it up on Saturday and head to the range on Sunday. It's like Christmas in April! I'm hoping it works out perfect for concealed carry as my other Taurus pistols are a bit on the big/heavy side.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congratulations! I ordered an 809C from Jetguns and it arrived at my FFL today. I'll pick it up on Saturday and head to the range on Sunday. It's like Christmas in April! I'm hoping it works out perfect for concealed carry as my other Taurus pistols are a bit on the big/heavy side.
I too got mine from Jetguns, it was the best deal i could find in Gunbroker, $332 with free shipping. I was going to get it from galleryofguns but they had run out of inventory by The time i was ready, which was a good thing because theirs was +/-$50 more. I should be getting it tomorrow.
Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I almost ordered mine online too, but the wholesale sports store had it in stock for $359.00 with no transfer fee it was almost the same and I got to handle 4 of them before I picked the best one. I really like my 809c and feel totally confident with the 115 gr cor bon or the federal 115 gr hydra shok in it. It feeds both of them flawlessly and clean very easily. This gun has the easiest field strip of any gun I have ever owned.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I love my 809c. The only problem I am having is getting extra magazines. I have been all over online trying to locate either the 13 round magazine or the 17 round extended magazine with the sleeve. I even called Taurus customer service and they didnt have either of them in stock. If anybody has any leads please let me know. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts