Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time out with the new PT809 and ran 418 rounds through it. Mostly Speer Lawman 115gr and some 115gr PMC and 115gr Remington UMC. The 809 ran almost flawlessly, but had one Speer and Lawman round that failed to extract (double feed) at ~200 round mark.. I'm not sure why at this point, but 417 out of 418 is acceptable so far.

Out of the six newer Taurus semis I have, this 809 sometimes likes to eject the brass to the top of my head. It's like 2 rounds out of 17 that eject almost straight back at you. I did a forum search and found out this is fairly common with the 809 full size. My 809c and other Taurus semis do not do that. Also, I experienced some powder blow-back occasionally to the right side of my face. (right hand shooter). I'm assuming that blow-back is due to a weaker powder charge that is not fully expanding/sealing the bullet casing against the breech. A few of the rounds I fired sounded weak. Anyone that has experience with this please comment. Oh, I did measure and compare the breech diameter with one other 9mm barrel and it's ok.

Overall, the pistol performed well and the internals had no brass shavings or excessive metal specs. Here's one of the several targets I shot from ~12 yards (standing two hand hold with 1-2 second interval).

001 (800x704).jpg

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Sounds like a good day at the range!

My 809 will also sling brass inconsistently. For the most part, they all eject as normal, to the right and back, but occasionally, one will fly straight back and bounce off the top of my head.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Nice. Oh, how I want to get to the range! But it will be a swamp now . . .

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Looks like you had some fun.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I've had my pt 840 throw cases back at my head a few times using lite reloads but the hotter ones fly like they should.

Reactions: RalphG2

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's about the same target pattern I get with my 809 at the '10 yd' target distance using 115gn bullets. I get a little better accuracy using 124gn bullets but not by much. Haven't fired any factory ammo out of mine yet, as all my ammo has been reloads & none of them produce any blow-back. Using those same reloads, my 809 weakly ejects to the lower right.

That said, this pistol has been very reliable & I don't remember having any FTF or FTE problems with it. Love the hammer system much better than striker but the strikers I do have are very good as well.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's about the same target pattern I get with my 809 at the '10 yd' target distance using 115gn bullets. I get a little better accuracy using 124gn bullets but not by much. Haven't fired any factory ammo out of mine yet, as all my ammo has been reloads & none of them produce any blow-back. Using those same reloads, my 809 weakly ejects to the lower right.

That said, this pistol has been very reliable & I don't remember having any FTF or FTE problems with it. Love the hammer system much better than striker but the strikers I do have are very good as well.
This is the first time that I have experienced any blow-back. It's either blow-back or tiny brass casing fragments from the erratic ejection. I'm thinking it's blow-back because some of the casings had carbon soot half way up the brass case. The ejection port has brass scuff marks in several places, not just on the bottom of the port like my other semis do.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
emotion icon thumbs up.jpg Good range trip indeed!

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Administrator
17,668 Posts
Glad that you had a good day at the Range with your new PT809! :cool: Congratulations!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I'm wondering if some of the brass scuffing isn't just a break in thing. I actually did find brass shavings after firing and had an unusual wear pattern develop on the feed ramp with my PT 145, but only during the first several hundred rounds. After that, no problem. Gun performed flawlessly, as well.

Sounds like your gun is doing great. One round out of 418 is something I would attribute to an ammo fluke or shooter fatigue. Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Edited the first post to read one failure to extract (double feed) instead of failure to eject. This pic is not my 809, but shows the same failure to extract that I had:

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Looks like you have a solid gun there. 2 small issues fairly early on would not concern me. Just for the heck of it try some heavier bullets...124gr. or 147gr. See how those work out for you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
.....I'm thinking it's blow-back because some of the casings had carbon soot half way up the brass case.....
Can't remember when any 9mm I have has done that. Since you have already confirmed the chamber is within spec then I'd suspect the 'factory' ammo. I have seen spent factory ammo cases on the ground with the sooty blowby appearance before. Although not severe, they did have some where any reloads I've used did not.

·
32,496 Posts
Congrats on the shooting. Hey. Having fun is what a lot of it is about.

I do agree it might be a ammo issue. Give some other brand or type a try.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Congratulations on the new PT809, they are great guns. I have had a few spent casings eject straight back and I felt it was ammo related. They are great guns and very reliable. Thanks for sharing the range report.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Looks like you have a solid gun there. 2 small issues fairly early on would not concern me. Just for the heck of it try some heavier bullets...124gr. or 147gr. See how those work out for you.
If I'm not mistaken, Taurus recommends 124 gr ammo for their 9mm semi-autos. I don't know that it should make a difference though...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I'm not mistaken, Taurus recommends 124 gr ammo for their 9mm semi-autos. I don't know that it should make a difference though...
That's correct. I'll run a 100 rounds of 124 and 200 of 115 on the next range visit and report back. I just want to eat up some 115 I have on hand. Going forward, my inventory will only be 124gr. All my 9mm Taurus semis are more accurate with 124.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update: I went back to the range yesterday and fired 100rds of 124gr Freedom Munitions and Speer Lawman and 200rds of 115gr Speer and Freedom. The 809 ran all 300 without a single hiccup. I now have 718rds through it. There was still the occasional brass ejection head-shot with the 124gr and 115gr, but it's tolerable and I'm very satisfied with the 809's performance. This target was at 12 yards.

001.JPG

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I love shooting 124 gr 9mm over 115 gr rounds personally, I had a double feed similar to the picture with my 92 with Perfecta 115 gr last time I was out. It was the third round of the first mag, so it could have been because the gun wasn't warmed up after being tucked away for a good while over the winter.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Nice shooting gun. The issues will probably work them selves out. If not Miami will work it out for you. Nice gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts