Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, haven't written anything here in like forever. For one thing gave up my only Taurus (PT609) to my daughter as a Christmas present. Lives alone in Phoenix, recently into shooting, figured she could use it. Anyway...picked up a PT809 today at Academy (with Uncle Sam's help)! Have been keeping up with info in this section for over a year now, and finally did it. Full size, stainless slide. Sorry, will post a picture soon. Couple of things. Not as much grease/oil as I expected, but still was almost fun cleaning it up. Now, for a question. Didn't see in in owners manual about lube points/locations. Put a drop on the 2 places where slide seems to make first contact. Any other suggestions(?). Didn't want to over oil. One funny thing...I have a Bianchi model 105 leather OWB holster I have been carrying my SW9VE; believe it or not, this pistol fits real well, other than some minor dragging with front serrations. Thought I'd throw that out there. So, any cleaning (or other) suggestions would certainly be welcome, and now that I'm back in the Taurus fold, I'll try to post more often. Planning on first shoot this Sunday, and will update everyone (hopefully with pics). Thanks!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
You'll love it! I love my ss 809. Enjoy and zombies beware!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It's my only Taurus. I am sure you will enjoy.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I have the 809B and love it and I am sure you will too! Congrats and hurry up with the pics and a range report! Thanks for the holster info.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I usually use a grease instead of oil(just personal preference) for the slide rails. I will put a small drop of oil down into the trigger assembly and work the trigger a little to spread it out. Also a LIGHT coat of oil on the outside of the barrel. You want to lube any surface where metal on metal contact causes friction.
I'm no gunsmith, but this has worked well with my 809.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Congrats! Another happy 809B owner here. Sounds like you're on board with the cleaning, so just follow the advice given already upthread and you should be fine.

If you have any ammo, you might load up both mags and let them sit for a day or so, just to break in the springs. You might find loading just 10 or so at the range to be easier on your hands, but if you have leftovers, load the mags full up again so they can break in.

I'm sure you're going to love it!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all! Yep, did real clean up on the packing grease. As far as lube, small drop down slide channels either side? And thanx TXEric about loading up the mags, gonna take care of that right now. Later!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Now a word of caution! I didn't clean the trigger thoroughly and went through some unhappiness until I straightened it out with G96 spray - thoroughly dousing it. No problems since:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Love my 809. Never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update/range report...found some ammo this morning at WM; went to Texas City gun range, just couldn't wait. Took a mixed bag of ammo including 12 or so Hornady Critical Def, same Win JHP, about 30 or so TulAmmo FMJ, and 40 or so Fed FMJ. Wow! I'm really liking this pistol! Kinda new to the CHL/pistol world, and only had DAO striker fired before this. I am sold so far. Had 2 FTE's, but felt may have been limp-wristing, new gun break-in. Everything else did just like it's supposed to. If a cold front with driving rain hadn't come in, I'd probably still be there (if I had enough ammo). Can't wait to go back. Now, for the holster shopping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats brazo...I got my 809 a few weeks ago...you will love the LULA mag loader for that 17 round clip. I also just got 4 more clips directly from Taurus. Does anyone know of a side owb holster that fits the 809?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
StreetSense...I have a Bianchi 105 (also called "minimalist" I think) that I bought for my SW9VE that works pretty well; also, recently picked up a tagua made for XD 5" that works "pretty well" also. Not many made for 809 though XD, 24/7 and Beretta PX4 seem decent fitting. Theiss does have one on their website specifically for 809 I'm interested in though. Looks like the holster bug is as bad as the gun bug! For rentention type, I believe others here have used IMI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the PT 809 and it is a joy to shoot. The only problem is trying to find the 9mm ammo for it. If you keep looking on web sites you will get some Try LuckyGunner.com or bluckammo.com. I'm trying to find 2 17 round extra magazines for mine. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts