Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have less than 200 rds. thru my new PT740.

The ammunition that I've used has been factory Winchester, Federal, Remington and Monarch -- mainly FMJ, but some JHP. 180 gr. and some 165 gr. ammo in 4 factory Taurus magazines.

I've had two reliability problems that are keeping me from using this as an EDC gun:

1) It consistently fails to feed, regardless of the ammunition brand, type or magazine that I use in it.

2) The magazine release button is very, VERY stiff -- even more so with a fully-loaded magazine. All magazine hardware is broken in, no burrs, and I've worked the mag release button a couple of hundred times, etc.

I am NOT a fix-it-myself type. Issue ideas?

Time to send it into Taurus?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I assume no aftermarket parts ? Sounds like it could be the extractor or the recoil spring in that order. How old is gun? Would get it back to Taurus asap so they will cover shipping cost.The wait will be painful. 6 to 8 weeks or more.

·
Registered
29,937 Posts
How consistent is consistent, ie how many out of the 200 failed and how far apart roughly?

Before sending it back I would field strip it and give it one more good thorough cleaning, along with disassembling the magazine and cleaning it as well. The grease they pack them in can take some work to clean out sometimes. Then I would put another 200 through her. If I still had the issue I would send it back.

I might also try and give it more oil than normal while it is being broken in for the additional couple hundred rounds.

200 rounds is still a low round count in my opinion.

My mag release was stiff for about the first 500 or so rounds on my 740. As long as it worked I figured it would smooth out, and it did. I carry her quite a bit now. The feed problem is the one I would be more apt to be concerned with.

Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
What TexAvi said - My Slims all have stiff mag release on full mag - not unusual. How about a bit more info on feed issue - does spent cartridge eject? or does next cartridge stovepipe or not feed at all; or does it nose up under non-eject? Don't limp wrist the 740 - hold on like there's no tomorrow. LOL

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
I guess that someone needs to play the old limp wrist card.
the lightweight poly pistol especially in a 40 S & W must be held and supported very well if the recoil/ejection system is going to work reliabally. --:image041:

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
It used to be a common theme that 250 to 300 rounds was a common break in period for Taurus semi-auto pistols, and that a preliminary deep cleaning was essential, just as Texas Aviator said. I don't hear that discussed much anymore, but I think those two factors are still relevant. I actually think Taurus tries to clean it's guns after they're imported nowadays, but problems can still persist. Some of my Taurus pistols have never needed a break in, but some have...and they work fine after 300 rounds. I guess it all depends on the nature of the issues: If the problems are diminishing, yet still persist, I'd try another 150 rounds. If they aren't diminishing, or are getting worse, you might want to send it in.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
As someone else stated, what type of failure to feed? Has it been well cleaned and lubed?
Are the mags cleaned(DO NOT LUBE WITH OIL!!!!) and did they get loaded and left to take a set?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My 4 Taurus mags were cleaned thoroughly when I installed the Pearce grip extensions on them. Then they were loaded and left to set.

Gun has been well-cleaned and lubed several times (field stripped only).

In terms of FTF, as far as I can tell it does a nose up under non-eject ...

Going to the range again tomorrow to put some more rounds thru it, so I'll see if the additional gun and mag cleaning have helped any. Will be using only Winchester 180-gr FMJ rounds.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Sounds like you could have crud behind your extractor claw, use a brush and clean the hook that grabs the
rim of the cartridge well, and use some gunscrubber to spray out behind the extractor well, if that doesn't solve
the issue you may have to remove the extractor and clean behind it. We can deal with that later after you try what I posted......................
Also take a good look at the claw and see if it is chipped, are you loading the mag first, cycling a round in the chamber, then dropping the
mag to top it off?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts