Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals....my first post here.

I recently bought a new PT738 at Academy. Of course the first thing I did when I got it home was to field strip it and clean it.

When I went to put it back together, the ONLY way I could get the pin back in was to leave the slide in the closed position. In other words...I could not get the pin back in if I had the slide locked back. The barrel would not move to the forward position to insert the pin no matter what I did.

I also have a Kel-Tec P11 which field strips the same way...and I can lock the slide back to insert the pin. But not on the PT738. The pin goes in just fine with the slide in the normal position (not locked back).

I took the PT738 out and shot a few mags through it and it worked flawlessly. But curious if anyone else has had this experience....or better yet...is this normal for the PT738? I know that with my P11 it states to lock the slide back before inserting the pin.

I looked on the Taurus website and it has a video of the field strip...but not the re-assembly. I would have assumed that this little pistol would be like most others in the fact that the slide needs to be locked back during re-assembly.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or opinions.

Ted

·
Registered
132 Posts
I posted about this also. Just last night did field strip again. I got it back together without slide locked back. I just made sure the pin hole is lined up with barrel notch and free to go in. All went well. I figure if pin comes OUT with slide forward it can go back in same way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't tried to take the pin out with the slide forward...since it's standard procedure to have the slide locked back, but I'm sure it would come out just fine since it goes back in fine with the slide forward.

I'm just not sure why they (manufactures) would say to have the slide locked back if the gun can be field stripped with the slide forward. Interesting indeed.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have one and if I recall I started the pin reinsertion SLIGHTLY, with the slide forward. I then pushed the slide back and pushed the pin the remainder of the way in. I have not shot or cleaned mine in a few weeks but I don't think I locked the slide back. I simply pushed it back until I could get the pin back in. Tonight I will strip and reassemble mine and note what I do. I just do it so I can't recall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks KLo...this seems to be more normal than I would have thought.

OnTheSpot...I just saw your thread on the subject. If I had seen it before...I would have just posted to yours instead of starting a new thread.

Thanks for the replies though guys...I will try to do a little more research and digging from now on before starting a new thread :) .

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
You take the pin out with the slide locked back. You re-insert it with the slide locked back and the barrel pulled forward. It is tricky to get it all lined up, but once you do it a time or two, it gets easy. You can also grind or file a small chamfer on the end of the pin to help with getting it started. There is a sticky in the Smithing section that covers Reliability Enhancements for the TCP. I believe that one is mentioned in there, but don't hold me to that. I did all the enhancements on mine and the wife's and they run great. If you do not have a manual, you can go to the Taurus web site and there is a tab for product manuals. It goes into detail about the dis-assembly and the assembly of the gun. Hope that helps.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/40279-tcp-738-reliability-enhancements.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looked in the manual. It states to have the slide locked back to remove AND reinsert the pin. I will try it again with the slide locked back...but if I can't get the barrel to slide forward...I will just continue to put the pin in with the slide forward since this did not seem to have any adverse affect...my pistol shot perfectly when the pin was inserted with the slide forward. Interesting though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's tricky, I had to do it a few times before I got the hang of it. One of the posts here said to insert the pin just a little BEFORE you put the slide back on, and the end of my pin is not completely round. It has a flat edge on one side. I pull the slide back and you just have to wiggle, jiggle, turn, whatever to work it back in. Sometimes pulling back on the slide a little to line up the holes. Hope this helps. When all else fails, "DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny thing is...the pin goes in very easily with the slide forward instead of it locked back. And it didn't seem to make any difference as to how the gun performed.

My problem wasn't the pin having a tight fit or not being able to align it to the hole....my problem is with the barrel not going forward like it's supposed to. No matter how hard I tried...I could not get the barrel to move forward to where the slot lined up with the hole in the frame. My Kel-Tec P11 is sometimes a little finicky with the barrel, but I have always been able to wiggle it and work with it to get it to slide forward.

I would just be curious to know why the manufactures of these guns say to insert the pin with the slide locked back when you can indeed insert it with the slide forward...at least with the PT738. I haven't tried it with the P11 since I've always been able to get the barrel to go forward while the slide is locked back...but the next time I field strip the P11 I will see if I can insert the pin with the slide forward. Will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK...I couldn't stand it. I had to get both guns and try this again. Here is my conclusion.

The P11...can NOT take the pin out or put it back in with the slide forward...slide has to be locked back.

The PT738...you CAN take the pin out AND put it back in either with the slide forward OR locked back. Just have to move the slide back a little when the slide is forward.

I did figure out my problem with the barrel. I noticed that if I put a little downward pressure on the barrel with my palm as I jack the slide back...the barrel will stay forward as it's supposed to. This allows me to insert the pin with the slide locked back as expected. If I don't put the pressure on the barrel...it will slide back with the slide and will not move back forward where it needs to be in order to insert the pin.

Problem solved...and I learned something in the process. Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions...!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I put my finger on the front of the slide push slightly put the pin in and push it back till it goes in all the way once you get it down isn't nothing to it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I hope you like your TCP 738 as much as I like mine. I like to clean it as much as shoot it as odd as that may sound. GREAT little gun IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree...it is a great little gun indeed. I actually got the 738 for my wife because of it's size, but I do like to carry it occasionally simply because it will slide right in my back pocket and disappear. I carry my P11 in my vehicle because it's just a little too big to carry without a holster (sticks up about 1/2" out of my pocket). I'm looking into the IWB holsters...possibly the N82 tactical.

I too enjoy breaking them down and putting them back together. I do it after every trip of firing, and every few weeks if not fired. I've only fired about 30 rds through the 738 simply to save my ammo (hard to come by around here)...but I did want to make sure everything worked OK.

Both the 738 and the P11 are great carry pistols. The 738 at around 13 oz. fully loaded and the P11 at 20 oz (with a 10+1 mag). I may end up getting another 738 because I love the size.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Just looked in the manual. It states to have the slide locked back to remove AND reinsert the pin. I will try it again with the slide locked back...but if I can't get the barrel to slide forward...I will just continue to put the pin in with the slide forward since this did not seem to have any adverse affect...my pistol shot perfectly when the pin was inserted with the slide forward. Interesting though.
You are correct! That is what it says, but if you look at the supplied picture where they show you the procedure with the screwdriver removing the pin, the slide is in the forward position. That is a mistake in the manual. Sorry to confuse the issue. Glad you got it figured out and what ever works for you is how you need to do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So is the writing wrong or is the pic wrong? I would say pic because they say 2 times that slide should be locked back on diss and assm.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I agree...it is a great little gun indeed. I actually got the 738 for my wife because of it's size, but I do like to carry it occasionally simply because it will slide right in my back pocket and disappear. I carry my P11 in my vehicle because it's just a little too big to carry without a holster (sticks up about 1/2" out of my pocket). I'm looking into the IWB holsters...possibly the N82 tactical.

I too enjoy breaking them down and putting them back together. I do it after every trip of firing, and every few weeks if not fired. I've only fired about 30 rds through the 738 simply to save my ammo (hard to come by around here)...but I did want to make sure everything worked OK.

Both the 738 and the P11 are great carry pistols. The 738 at around 13 oz. fully loaded and the P11 at 20 oz (with a 10+1 mag). I may end up getting another 738 because I love the size.

Arkansas Ted, can't speak to your 738, but as to your Kel Tec P11:

I agree, it's a fine pistol when tweaked. Just a word of caution on the P11 assembly pin - Mine wore down within a relatively short time (about 1000 rounds or so.) It started coming out during shooting and locking the slide back. Kel Tec replaced it with a new one, but I decided to not field strip the Keltec for cleaning after each shooting session. Still clean it, I just don't take it apart so often so the pin won't get so worn. No big deal since the P11 is no longer a range gun for me. If you do want to field strip it each time, you may want to get some extra assembly pins, just in case. They aren't expensive. Maybe you already knew this, but just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
So is the writing wrong or is the pic wrong? I would say pic because they say 2 times that slide should be locked back on diss and assm.
The picture is wrong. The writing is very clear and after thinking about it, I too lock the slide back before prying the pin out. They do show the slide locked back in the previous picture. I missed that point when I replied to the OP by simply looking at the picture where they are prying the pin out. I should have read the description too. Sometimes, the manual can be more confusing than helpful. Case in point - on the 709, they do not even mention you have to pull the trigger to get the slide off. Several posts on here where people ask why they can't get their slide off the frame.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Funny thing is we always had 380 around here, so much that I got complacent thinking 500 rounds was enough. Now I haven't seen much 380 in a month. Next time it pops up imma buy my 3 box limit at the usual 16.99/box for Blazer Brass.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Okay so I cleaned my TCP this weekend after a short range session. I pulled the takedown pin with the slide closed just like if it was about to be used. I took the parts out, cleaned them and the gun the re-inserted the pin JUST enough to get it started, the pushed the slide back again to the shooting position and pushed the pin the remainder of the way in. I did not lock the slide back at any time. Upon re-assembly, I dry-fired it and it seems fine. Now I'm going to check the manual :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I always lock the slide back and pull the barrel forward at the same time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts