Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a brand new 709 yesterday i have not shot it yet but i like it. i was wondering is the low left problem a confirmed pistol problem or mostly shooter induced? i'm kinda worried now lol guess i'll know how mine does this weekend!!

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
My 709 did with sights adjusted to max to offset - so it's at Taurus now. Was I contributing to the problem? Probably some, although snap caps said no, but it did same from bench rest, just not as much. My 740 doesn't / didn't - pretty accurate right out of the box goes where I point (not always the center) LOL.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Welcome from N Carolina!! I put Crimson Trace lasers on my 709s. I have a hard time seeing sights, so I never did know if my guns shoot low and left...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for the replies my fullzize and officer size roclislands though reported to be sometimes prolematic have been nothing but dead on shooters. i just need something lighter than a near 40 ounce pistol after 3 years for edc. if ya ever wanted a 191 get a rock lol i can out shoot ant 2k pistol with mine. i have owned and my wife carries a 30 tarus wheelgun she loves it !!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get yourself a rest. Get real familiar with the trigger pull. Make your adjustments after getting accustomed to the trigger from rest. Make your adjustments in shoot from the rest again until you get good at this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you agian guys very sound advise.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum, timf, and congrats on your acquisition of the PT709 Slim! :thumb:

If you end up as happy with your 709 as I am my 740 Slim, you will be one happy shooter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to say that mine is far better then I am, but I continue to practice and each trip to the range I get a little more comfortable with it. I proved this to myself by having a more experienced person take a few shots. I seem to be low and left most of the time, but I won't adjust the sights until I am consistant enough with the groups to dial it in.;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Get yourself a rest. Get real familiar with the trigger pull. Make your adjustments after getting accustomed to the trigger from rest. Make your adjustments in shoot from the rest again until you get good at this.

Do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion for what rests are good, or the best? I don't want to steal the op's thread, but, they might be asking the same question anyway . .

CD

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did a post below after i got too the range finnialy mine seems too be shooting to poa!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion for what rests are good, or the best? I don't want to steal the op's thread, but, they might be asking the same question anyway . .

CD
I was thinking the same thing.Everyone mentions shoot from a rest,but nobody says what rest they are using..

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
I have the Shooters Ridge 40875 I'm quite pleased with - has enough adjustments, swivels, and works with all my pistols from 709 to Sigma 40VE. Is well constructed and easily portable.

Shooters ridge steady point handgun - TheFind

Pricing all over the place. I'd buy from whomever has lowest price with no freight (mine came from OpticsPlanet as I had a 10%-off email coupon).

Only use it with new pistol or when I go errant shooting and need to prove it's not the pistol.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Advise you to get some snap caps and do a lot of dry fire practice. This will not only smooth out the trigger, but will also allow you to learn control of the trigger. The primary cause of low & left in right handed shooters is trigger control, while lefties are usually low and right. In addition, grip and stance play a more important role in small autos than in their larger brethren, so you need to work on those too while you dry fire practice. This diagnostic chart should help. Flip it horizontally if you are left handed.

BTW, 98% of all the low and left issues are shooter induced. Even though the 709 has sights that are adjustable, it is best to shoot a lot of different ammo types, brands, bullet weights, to find what shoots best in your pistol with you doing the shooting and then make whatever minor sight adjustments you need to make.

Don't worry about finding the "magic bullet" SD round. The sad truth is that just about all the premium brand SD rounds perform about the same. The only differences are usually in the tradeoff between penetration and expansion. Rounds primarily aimed at home defense markets will feature expansion over penetration in an attempt to lower risk of collateral damage (like the kids sleeping in the next room), while rounds aimed at the LEO markets will feature penetration over expansion to increase performance against barriers (like shooting through a windshield, or car door). The solid cooper bullets may be the only exception, but as of right now I think the jury is still out, not to mention they are expensive.

Reactions: USN2Pulpit

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just got a chance to fire my new 709. Cleaned her real good and shot 50 rounds without a problem. Mine was pretty accurate right out of the box. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bunch of us have been lucky with our 709/740's.My 740 was straight right out the box also!! I also have firearms training prior to owning mine which helped with breathing and trigger squeeze.A laser (bore or CT) and snap caps can really help you see how good or bad your trigger squeeze is.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
My 709 sights proved dead on from a gun stand. The first few mags did show low right tendencies. I upped the grip strength knowing it was me, made sure I was using my first digit only and learned the trigger break point. Problem solved. I posted some targets during break in shooting against 2 other 9s that I have - a Kahr CW9 and a Sig 250C. Have a look and you'll see the 709 come to center target quickly. You'll also see some interesting variations in ammo group results. I still have a few boxes of Other brands to try. So far for practice Remington UMC 115 gr. is a winner and Winchester Ranger JHP 147 ptoved an affordable self defense load with good ballistics.

Set a baseline and work from there. Post up progress and results!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts