Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my new 709 slim out to shoot for the first time on Saturday. After a very thorough cleaning and lube job I loaded up with Tulammo 115g fmj. I have read on here that others had questions about the reliability of the steel casings in this gun. I shot 50 flawless rds with the exception of 1 FTL. I believe this was caused by my inattention to cleaning the magazine spring. Upon inspection of the magazine spring after shooting, I saw the the spring was coated with yellowish/white crud which I proceeded to scrub off. The magazine seems a lil smoother now and I think this will resolve any loading issues. I was completely impressed with the performance of this pistol as was my 14yr old son who fired it flawlessly as well.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Congrats on the new gun and good outing. Some guns can be ammo picky, especially when they are new. Your 709 may like Tul Ammo, but I had trouble with that brand on my 24/7 OSS and I never tried any again in any of my guns, including my 709.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Welcome from Iowa! Haven't heard good things about Tulammo, but these days you shoot what you can get... I would try bunch of different brands if you can find them, and see what your 709 likes best. My 809C loves Federal, but Remington, not so much... Happy shooting!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome from Iowa! Haven't heard good things about Tulammo, but these days you shoot what you can get... I would try bunch of different brands if you can find them, and see what your 709 likes best. My 809C loves Federal, but Remington, not so much... Happy shooting!
Thanks Ice. overall i was happy with TulAmmo, but as Mike said...every gun seems to be a lil different. Use what works. TulAmmo was all i could find at the time and @ $10 /50 rds I gave it a shot

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Congrats! My 709 is on me every day as well.
It will only get better as it gets broken in more. I haven't had any issues with different ammo, with the exception of 2 Monarch steel case rounds that had hard primers (perhaps). One of those actually did fire on the DA pull, the other just didn't want to go.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My one week old 709 also had a yellowish paint or plastic like material on the top portion of the mag spring, more to the inside of the coils. It looked to be about the same color as the yellow follower, & I assumed it was overspray or some kind of runoff or rub off from the follower. Found it during pre use cleaning, & it came right off with solvent.
Mine has shot 115 FMJ Winchester white box & 124 gr. FMJ CCI Blazer Brass & functioned 100% on load, fire, eject, & slide locking open on empty mags.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase!!! As others have already mentioned, I too carry mine everyday...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Welcome from little ole New Hampshire & Congrats on that wise choice
I too belong to this growing club and it is a very nice firearm etc

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The Slim series pistols in the Taurus lineup are the up-and-coming big time concealed carry contenders!

Congratulations on a great first range outing with your PT709

Reactions: Audleyman

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my 709 also. First pistol on top of that. it was between the bersa 380 and this and i just couldnt look past this one. I have not taken it to the range yet cause i cant find more than a hundred rounds in this area. conserve for now.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Congrats. 709 owners is a growing fraternity. Welcome from the flatlands of Kansas. How flat you ask? So flat that when your dog runs away you can still see him for 3 days. -:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on the 709! I also purchased one recently and was able to get out to shoot mine yesterday. Very pleased with the performance. Enjoy!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome form a FL 709 owner. I was surprised how well my 709 shoots for a small pistol. I carry it tucked inside on the left side so it is comfortable wearing a seat belt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts