Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new PT22 last Saturday and took it to the indoor range Monday morning. After learning it's quirks, we shot 150 rnds and it really did well. But when I inserted the magazine for the last time it was tight and I pulled it back out after half way and could see that it was spread at the top. Removing the 8th rnd helped but I could squeeze the top in with my fingers.

That afternoon I cleaned the gun and took a good look at the mag. The top spot weld had failed. Tuesday morning I called Taurus to see about a remedy and talked to a very nice lady after being on hold for less than a minute. She told me that they would ship me a new one but there was a 6 week backorder. I told her that I really wanted to be able to use my gun and asked if I would need to send them the mag? She said no, so I asked if I could try to repair it? There would be no problem.

So here's the fun part of this story.
Several months ago I built a spot welder from an old microwave oven transformer. However the area that needed to be welded would require making a copper electrode that would reach inside the mag and ONLY touch the spot to be welded.
Looking in my junk boxes I came up with a 2' length of #6 ground wire from an old power pole. I made a 90° bend as close to the end as possible and then filed it down to about an 1/8th". I filed the diameter of the little nub to reduce the size of the contact point. I used the entire length of the wire and attached it under the top electrode bolt. This meant the I would have to hold the tip in position by hand. The welder puts out 500+ amps @ 2.3 volts so there's no risk of shock but I did wear a glove since I knew that the wire was going to get hot, it did.

After welding a test piece it was time to go big. A spring clamp held the mag side tight against the back and I positioned the wire in to the correct spot. I stepped on the foot switch.... By the count of 1 the area started to turn red by 2 it was a done deal. It looks just like the factory welds and hopefully it will hold better.

BTW: this is one of the easiest mags to disassemble, I wonder if removing some of the follower tang would have a negative affect on the operation. If not then I see a possible 10rnd modification here.

Pics of disassembled mag and the home made spot welder.

Fatboy

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Took it to the range today and shot 50rnds, it did real good and the mag survived.
Now if I could just buy more than 100 at a time!
Fatboy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very good work! You might call and see if you can order an extra follower to try the mod on. It looks to me like it could work.:rating10:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very good work!
Thank You!
You might call and see if you can order an extra follower to try the mod on. It looks to me like it could work.:rating10:
My understanding from the parts list is that only complete mags are available. My best chance is to see if anyone has a damaged mag that they would like to sell cheap or donate.
BTW: shot another 100 rnds at the range this morning, also 100 on Sat. I have to think that the mag repair is good to go.
I bought the PT22 on the 16th and have run almost 500 rnds through it. It's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Took my PT22, my wife, and 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags to the outdoor range today. It was the first time that she would get a chance to fire it and she did well but after 6 shots she put it down. I told her to shoot the rest but she said that's all she wanted to do. No problem since it's only the second time she's ever fired a gun, I get to shooot the rest of the box. The fifteen hanging empty diet Pepsi cans never had a chance!!!

However after about 15 minutes I start having failure to feed problems, bad. I also noticed that the mag is dragging again, a quick look and I see that my weld has failed. The last time I had thought about adding a weld just below the original but since there was no insulation on the #6 wire I decided it would not be good to have the wire arc in the wrong place.

This time my goal was to add the extra weld but first I had to find some means to insulate the wire so that I could reach further into the mag. The wire gets hotter nearest the point of weld and I needed something that wouldn't melt or catch fire during the few seconds that it takes to do the weld. It also couldn't add to the diameter (too much) of the wire or there would be a problem getting through the top of the mag lips. I envision something like a thin asbestos tape....where have I seen something that would fit the bill? All of a sudden the the bell went off and the light bulb lit. I went in the house to the cupboard and cut a 3/4" strip of it off the roll. I showed her and she said "That?" Yep.... she cooks on it all the time, Parchment Paper!!! I wrapped it around the wire, secure it with a little piece of safety wire, and place 3 welds on the mag. The end of the paper turned black but that was it. Three beautiful spot welds.

Fatboy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a picture of the Parchment paper insulation for the top electrode. Headed to the range this morning, my buddy and I eet there every Monday morning @10 when they open.

Fatboy

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The PT22 ate another 100 rounds without a single problem this morning. I doubt that the welds will be breaking again.
For the first time however, the range had no .22LR to sell, it's a good thing that I took a box with me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's been 7 weeks since Taurus said that there is a 6 week BO on magazines. Maybe today will be the day!
I have to wonder though, how does Taurus count the weeks? By calender or business days, 7 vs 5? At least my repaired mag is still doing well. Shot count is at 1,160 rounds as of Monday morning.

On another related subject, I hope that my state uses the 7 day weeks as the count for 12.8 weeks to issue my CWP, my count says the end of this month should see it in mailbox.

Fatboy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An Update....

Just got off the phone to Taurus CS this morning, it's been almost 9 weeks since I last talked to them and was told of a 6 weeek backorder on magazines. Now the backorder has been increased another 4-6 weeks. Crap!

On a different note, I asked about the slide buffer (not that I even need one right now with 1,200 rounds fired). My buffer shows a little wear but still in good condition. I ordered a 3 pack, with all the backorder BS going on and the good luck that I've had in getting right through to them, better safe than sorry.

So far the original broken and rewelded magazine is holding up. I'm still thinking of adding a steel strip on the other side to resolve a crack at the top. That patch would have to be on the outside. I checked the clearance of the mag in the well with a feeler gauge, in fact that same feeler is going to be used to make the repair.

More later....
FatBoy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An UPDATE!!!
A Fed Ex truck pulled up in front of my house this morning and I asked my wife if she had ordered anything? She didn't so I wasn't sure why they were here until I see the label. It WAS MY MAG!!! After 5 months waiting....

It will go to the range in the morning for a work out before I get too excited. The new mag is built just like the old one which doesn't excite me much. Guess that I shldn't put the spot welder away yet.

Fatboy Packin'

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Don't be so pessimistic

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
We are anxiously awaiting to hear your range results!:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The range didn't go well, 100% FTF on the 1st mag!
Tweaking could only improve that to 50% by the 4th mag.
Checked with the old defective mag, 0 FTF.
It was hard to concentrate while the guy in the next lane was blasting away with a Desert Storm. My brain is still rattling around in my head!!!
Next range trip in Monday, maybe I can get it tuned up by then.

Fatboy Packin'

1 - 18 of 18 Posts