Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a gunshow today. While I was wandering around debating on a NIB Ruger MKII GC and a Browning 5.5" target model, I happened across a dealer who had the PT1911B's for $489. The price seemed to be pretty good (Bud's Gunshop Blow out is $499), so I decided I had enough rimfires for a while and not enough .45 ACP. Went from the gun show to the range and managed to put 75 rounds of Independence 230gr FMJ down range. (Yeah, I know, no cleaning). Straight out of the box I was shooting 4" groups at 15 yards. After I figured out the sights and messed around with how I gripped it, the groups got smaller and holes started appearing near the center of the target. Had two rounds that didn't want to feed or jammed. I put this down to a pistol that need a good cleaning. Trigger was great, sights seem to work well and both the guys who fired a mag said "keeper." Took it home and gave it a good cleaning (field strip, not detail strip).

This seems to be a darned nice pistol for the price. It looks like it's capable of darned good accuracy assuming the shooter gets his act together. My only extensive experience with 1911's are the ones that were in the arms rooms of various reserve units. I'd welcome any suggestions on the PT1911.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You got a good price on a good pistol. Since you already shot it, you pretty much know that it was well worth the money you paid. Prices are only going up on the PT1911. The two jams you had may have been due to a lack of lube. When I got my 1911, the thing was bone dry except for the trigger. Yours may have been dry also & had no lube on the slide to frame which could give you a slow return to battery position or you may have had another issue. Clean it, lube & see what happens next time you go out. It's nothing I would worry about this time unless it's lubed properly. Have fun........

·
Registered
126 Posts
Enjoy the bejeesus out of it. The PT1911 was my first 1911 and I'm hooked. I did a bunch of research before I bought mine, checked out the only others in the sub $500 range and it seemed to be the best. The Springfield GI just doesn't do it for me, the RIA is reliable but plain and franky; ugly. The Taurus seems to me to be the best player in the entry level 1911 market, the trigger is crisp, I like the basic add-ons I don't have to sweat as opposed to the entry levels of other brands (skeletonized trigger, beavertail, oversized safety etc).

So far after about 1500 rounds through mine I am in love with the 1911 platform, it's dead on accurate, easy and instinctive to shoot and just plain feels good in my hand. Mine was also dry out of the box, but tight fitting and smooth.

My only initial gripes about the Taurus 1911 I have are the finish, which is easily marred (but easily and affordably upgraded) and the plain kind of rough grip panels, I will probably be going to a Crimson Trace laser grip as soon as I find someone I trust to shave the lefty side safety for fit.

Go shoot the wee out of it and enjoy the goofy grin it gives you!

·
32,495 Posts
Thought to stop by and offer 1 little item. How about going to the FAQ board and reading up on what FAQs pertain to you? Lots of good info on many things that might come in handy. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah good buy there congrats! My first pistol and obviously first 1911 was the PT1911 I bought last year and I love it. I'd say I've put around 1000 or so rounds through mine and not a single failure to fire, feed, or eject with a variety of ammo. Great gun for a great price. If you want to change the grips out I put the Hogue Rubber wraparound grip on mine and it works great even with the ambi safety. Very comfortable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got in a little more shooting this week. My first impressions were not changed. My son and son-in-law both fired the PT1911 and liked it. The only negative comments they had were the grips. I shot my son's SA Mil spec with Hogue grips and think the PT will get Hogue grips. The pistol handles and points very nicely. The rounds seem to end up about where I thought I was aiming. Now for the greener "how does it shoot the cheapest ammo I can find test." Looks like a keeper so far.

·
Registered
111 Posts
greener: They are definatly keepers I have 2 of them and would really like a SS commander size but you know Taurus they wait forever to release, how do you like the sights???? I am guessing by your post youre a little older ( I'm 58 ) and I was having trouble picking up the front sight so I did a little Lime Green nail polish in the hole and it made a world of diff. to my eyes.I have just about quit shooting my other 1911's and made my Taurus my range gun w/ occasional carry duties when its cooler along w/ a sprinfield micro compact lt. wgt. I've cleaned all the Kimbers and colts and put them away for future sales or my sons who are already circling my gun cabinets like vultures. LOL as soon as some makers start producing night sights ( tritium TFO's ) for this pistol I will have them installed, till then i'm gonna shoot the heck out of it. Lastly a good set of grips will increase your shooting pleasure. Tom

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in that age where it's easy to get the target and rear sights to be a bit blurry and the front sights right along with them (60). I don't have any problems with the sights on the Taurus. One of the reasons I didn't buy one of the SA models with "GI" sights was I can't see the darned things. The last time I qualified in my reserve unit, the sights weren't as blurry, but that was over a decade ago. Will keep the paint trick in mind if I have a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
greener said:
Now for the greener "how does it shoot the cheapest ammo I can find test."
Just FYI I almost always shoot the cheapest stuff I can find...which around here is always CCI Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart. And I haven't had a single issue with it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
phantom45 said:
Just FYI I almost always shoot the cheapest stuff I can find...which around here is always CCI Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart. And I haven't had a single issue with it.
Been shooting Ultramax 230 gr lead roundnose. $35/150 from Dicks Sporting Goods. Shoot fast and it looks like you are shooting black powder. A majority of the rounds are sub 3" groups (mostly sub 2") at 15 yards. Flyers were sub 6". One feed problem. Not sure whether it was the ammo or mag. I'd like to blame the flyers on the ammo. I know it is not the pistol. That leaves the shooter or the ammo. But then, I'd have to say the good shots were an accident. Well, with me, it could be...

The more I shoot it, the better I like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts