Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a PT1911 yesterday. I haven't shot it yet. I took it home and cleaned it. I was going to cycle some bullets though it to check the function.

The problem I'm haven't is when there are 8 bullets in the mags the first bullet won't load in the chamber. As the slide comes forward the bullet dives downward before it goes forward. The tipping makes the bullet jams up against the bottom of the ramp and locking things up. It does this with both mags. If I only put 7 bullets in the mag it functions right. It's that 8th bullet that does it.

The bullets I'm using is Remington JHP.

I've taken the mags apart and cleaned and lubed it. I've taken my dremel with a polisher and polished the inside top of the mag. I can't feel any burs. I've got it to function now with 8 bullets in the mags about 80% of the time. This isn't exceptable to me.

Has anyone else had this mag problem from the start? I know it may just be the bullets but before I go out and buy more bullets I want to see if there is something that can be done to the mags to make it cycle any bullet I put in it.

I'm looking for a free solution before I have to spend any more money if I don't need to. If it is just crappy mags can you show me a place that sells better mags that will fit and cycle bullets through 100% of the time.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just called Taurus and they were very good at wanting to get this problem solved. They said I could send them back one or both mags and have them swapped out or I could send them the gun if I wanted too if I thought that was the problem.

I think I'll just go out and buy a different brand of bullets then try these bullets again once the gun is broke in.

If the new brand works then I know it must be the bullets.

Maybe once I fire some FMJ bullets through it at the range the gun may take the JHP bullets easier.

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
I switched to novak and Chip McCormik mags the springs in the Taurus are real weak. If you look at the novack spring you'll see what I mean. Taurus also said they would swap them out I heard they had a bad run ,they denied it but was vary polite about changeing them out. as I have 2 new mags I haven't gotten around to shipping them back.

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
Not sure, some have been lucky and get just the part sent to them and others they want the part back. I suspect that you have some of the same ones I have and they want to get the bad mags out of service. On one of my mags the follower will pop right out of the top on the last shot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
45 Forever said:
Not sure, some have been lucky and get just the part sent to them and others they want the part back. I suspect that you have some of the same ones I have and they want to get the bad mags out of service. On one of my mags the follower will pop right out of the top on the last shot.
I noticed when I was messing with the mags sometimes the follower would come right out the top. I really don't want this to happen at the range.

An update though. I kept the mags loaded for 24 hours to see if it would compress the spring a little. A stiff spring may have been jamming the bullet into the top of the mag making it hard to strip off.

That seemed to have worked. The full mag will now load into the chamber with no problems or jams.

I still wouldn't trust my life with these mags so I'll see if I can get Taurus to send me new ones and I'll buy some better SS ones too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.