Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First firearm, and went with the PT1911 45acp, in blued steel. VERY excited and itching to use it.

It came covered in, what i assume to be, the rust prevention oil everywhere. Should i clean before first use? Or, will it be okay if i can't clean it until after i hit the range?

And Gun Scrubber good enough to do the job? Any good how to's on what to clean, where, and what to re-lubricate, if necessary?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Congrats on the PT1911. I love mine and I am sure you will too. You need to field strip the weapon and clean it before you shoot it. The preservative needs to be removed as it will mix with the gun powder residue and gum up the action and it will be harder to clean after shooing it. The Gun Scrubber will do a good job. Take a look at You Tube videos on cleaning a semi-auto handgun for some basics and while there, look for some on lubing the gun after cleaning. There is a little to it and seeing it takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Congrats on the new PT1911 and Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Clean that gunk off and enjoy, the pt1911 is an awesome little machine.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Always clean a new gun.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
42,035 Posts
Welcome aboard from Northern Illinois. In addition to cleaning it well to include shooting an aerosol like Gunscrubber down the FP channel ( if you don't detail strip the slide) you will want to lube it. I use grease on the sliding parts and oil on the rotating ones. You don't need anything fancy, I use a white lithium grease on the slide and gun oil on the other parts. Many will use a synthetic like Mobil One for their oil. Just a drop will do and then wipe off the excess.

Congrats on the new pistol, mine is my favorite.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Congrats on your first gun. That is a fine choice.

BTW Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

As a first time gun owner I encourage you to get training and learn the 4 rules of gun safety.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Welcome to TA from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.

Now then, clean every single inch of the weapon, and lube everything that moves with whatever your choice for lubricant is. I personally use BreakFree CLP on all my weapons after a good scrubbing with Hoppe's #9, and then lube the slide rails and trigger group with Tetra Gun Grease. Everyone has a different method, but as long as you keep it cleaned and properly lubed, that 1911 should run like a champ for a long time to come.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The others are right. Clean her first! Then enjoy!

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Listen to btleslie. That's good advice.
Welcome to this forum. This the friendliest one I know and has some of the nicest people.
Taurus questions will be answered honestly by good folks who have been down the road,

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys!!

I have some GunScrubber, need to go get some oil and lube. I'll swing by one of the local stores tonight and get some, and then follow the videos. Hoping to shoot her for the first time tomorrow.

Are any of the cleaning "kits" any good? The ones found in walmart or in gun stores that have the multitudes of brushes and such?

·
Super Moderator
42,035 Posts
I use the nylon rush that it came with and bought a bronze bore brush for 45 caliber before I got a bore snake. Other than that a toothbrush (retired :D ), rags and Q tips are used on my bench.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You're going to love it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.