Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I took my new Taurus to the range finally for it's first shots and break-in.
200 rounds later here is what happened. Consistently failed to feed last round fully into battery until I loaded the mags to 7 rounds instead of 8 rounds. Worked flawlessly after that. I was shooting ball, semi-wadcutters, Corbon, Hydra-Shok, and Glaser Saftey Slugs. No failures of any kind other than when I loaded the mags to a full 8 rounds. The gun was every bit as accurate as I was able to shoot. I came away very impressed! I have owned Colt and Springfield 1911's and this is on par with those.

As for mods done:
new grips
hammer
strut
sear
over-size FP stop
14 pound recoil spring
23 pound main spring

I might have to get another one!
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Cylinder

Pipe Auto part Exhaust system Cylinder

Gun Combat pistol shooting Arm Shooting sport Practical shooting

Gun Shooting sport Shooting Practical shooting Shooting range

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
welcome and enjoy you new pistola i have pt 1911 and fight to get last shell in also all the guys here say fill clips and store and loaded and reload weekly till clips get broke in there are a couple of good after market clips that every one says are good just look thru 1911 forum plenty iof heklp there also clean gun and clips mine were full of packingrease inside my clips due to got in holes showing bullet count

Reactions: Willboat

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congrats on the new PT1911. I have 2 and love them!
I'm not an expert on fixing issues with them but there are several very knowledgeable folks here that will come along and offer some tips.

·
Registered
30,011 Posts
Nice, I love my PT-1911!

I had the same issue when I used a spare recoil spring from a friend at the range, (I wore mine out) his was 14lbs. Once I reinstalled a new 16 lb spring no more issues. I've lost count but I have many many rounds through her!

Enjoy the PT-1911!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrat's on the new slinger

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Congrats on your wise choice of a great pistol. Shoot it (often) in good health.
Fill up those mags and let them sit to soften the springs.

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
Who Knows without the gun in hand??
generally a factory recoil spring is a certian weight for a reason.
IF you do not have a reason then simply changing for the sake of changing doesn't have any logic?
The PT1911 in 45 acp is set up to run on 230 grain standard velocity ball ammo.
Now if you are going to be shooting lighter projectiles , or powder puff range loads then perhaps a lower poundage is not a bad idea.
same if you are going to be shooting plus P or higher powered reloads then a heavier spring may be a good idea.
In most cases the factory spring rate works well over a wide variety of ammunitions.
the heavier spring of course is going to slow the recoil of the slide down, the lighter spring is going to increase slide speed.
so ejection angle/distance will likely change, and of course all this is a package of recoil, mainspring, sear spring and magazine spring to work as a unit.
I threw a 18 pound unit in My EAA Witness 10 MM to reduce frame slap from the slide, it does shoot easier now.

Reactions: BigSkiff

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The man himself JMB desighned the pistol with a #14.5 +/- 1/2lb. recoil spring and a #23 mainspring. Also originally with a small radius FPS, i don't know why manufacturers think they know better. I guess they have their reasons. Heavier recoil springs return the pistol to battery faster and beat up on the lower lugs and slide stop.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
welcome and enjoy you new pistola i have pt 1911 and fight to get last shell in also all the guys here say fill clips and store and loaded and reload weekly till clips get broke in there are a couple of good after market clips that every one says are good just look thru 1911 forum plenty iof heklp there also clean gun and clips mine were full of packingrease inside my clips due to got in holes showing bullet count
I can't go into this again!!

Reactions: CJS3 and olfarhors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The man himself JMB desighned the pistol with a #14.5 +/- 1/2lb. recoil spring and a #23 mainspring. Also originally with a small radius FPS, i don't know why manufacturers think they know better. I guess they have their reasons. Heavier recoil springs return the pistol to battery faster and beat up on the lower lugs and slide stop.
Exactly the reasons for the changes I did... The gun shoots great, no malfunctions when loaded with 7 rounds. Even the last shot. Only malfunction comes from last round when loaded with 8 rounds. That tells me the gun is fine but the mags are suspect.

Either way, I'm good with it.

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
and of course this design worked around a 200 grain ball ammunition too!
and didn't incorporate a beavertail grip safety, ventilated hammer ( nice bite from the spur hammer), adjustable trigger, RAIL, night sites, three dot sights,thumb safety,etc.
Some of the changes you cna thank the military for, other pretty much common shooters.
again a lot of things to add or subtract from the modern 1911, usually I like to have reason to change something though, not just change to be changing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
and of course this design worked around a 200 grain ball ammunition too!
and didn't incorporate a beavertail grip safety, ventilated hammer ( nice bite from the spur hammer), adjustable trigger, RAIL, night sites, three dot sights,thumb safety,etc.
Some of the changes you cna thank the military for, other pretty much common shooters.
again a lot of things to add or subtract from the modern 1911, usually I like to have reason to change something though, not just change to be changing.
That's me too. I carry my PT1911, and it works in the standard configuration, so for me there is no reason to change anything except for the sights for low light. The factory mags work fine for me loaded up to 8 even with hollow points, so that's what I use. The 10-round Chip McCormick mag I have will not feed the first round unless loaded down to 9, so I don't carry that one.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
most manufacturers go to heavier spring for more reliable feeding with all types of ammo. you would be correct olfarhors pistol was designed for 200 gr. ball ammo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
most manufacturers go to heavier spring for more reliable feeding with all types of ammo. you would be correct olfarhors pistol was designed for 200 gr. ball ammo.
I never knew this. I just assumed since the most common ammo was 230 now, that was the original round. I carry 200 gr bullets because I feel it is a good compromise between penetration and velocity in the .45 ACP.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
JMB designed the 1911 to shoot 200 gr. ball ammo, the military brain trust wanted 230 gr. ammo so that became the standard back when the pistol was adopted.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I feel it is my civic duty to warn you that your affinity for your new Taurus PT1911 pistol could become addictive.

And...I understand that modern science has no known cure for this particular addiction.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun

And, yes, this is the voice of experience speaking. ;)

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
Yes indeed, we must remember that this was a Military weapon right out of the gate, designed for exactly that to kill, maim , wound people in all kinds of conditions and reliabally operate.
it still does that in a very good manner usually.

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
I never knew this. I just assumed since the most common ammo was 230 now, that was the original round. I carry 200 gr bullets because I feel it is a good compromise between penetration and velocity in the .45 ACP.
Yep, things change with time, like the 9MM , the 115 grain was standard for a long time, now most tout the 124 grain, which i actually like the best as well.
The 45 acp is a fairly low pressure operating system (21,000 PSI) so for me over the years all my 1911's seem to be able to handle a lot of different weight projectiles fine, I have shot a few really lightweight ammos, ( so called Super ammo) , you know the ones that cost like 2- 2.50 per round.
they seemed a bit sluggish in my particular gun, but I don't shoot or carry these so the regular 175-185-200-230 grain ammo runs great in them all so far.
there a lot of really good modern rounds on the market now, I lean a bit to the Speer Gold Dot 200 grain, and can get them as projectiles so they work good for reloading as well.

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
I feel it is my civic duty to warn you that your affinity for your new Taurus PT1911 pistol could become addictive.
And...I understand that modern science has no known cure for this particular addiction.
And, yes, this is the voice of experience speaking. ;)
PPPSHAAW!!
Baloney!!
this only affects the weak amongst us!
It has never bothered me in the least!!
I can stop buying 1911's anytime that i want to!!
No-Really I can..
Have you all seen the new Ruger Commander SR1911?

Reactions: blackpanzer
1 - 20 of 26 Posts