Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading how most everyone goes through 1000s of rounds without a single FTF. I had one after the first 100 UMC FMJs. I know this isn't a major catastrophe, but I'm wondering if there's something not quite right and I should look into it, or just break-in the pistol before trying anything like sanding the feed ramp.

Opinions?

Otherwise, the pistol is great...accurate and comfortable. I love it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The PT1911 already has polished feeding ramps.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you get it ALL the time, every mag, 3 different types of ammo.
Too many variables to say you have a bad gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Liontari said:
I've been reading how most everyone goes through 1000s of rounds without a single FTF. I had one after the first 100 UMC FMJs. I know this isn't a major catastrophe, but I'm wondering if there's something not quite right and I should look into it, or just break-in the pistol before trying anything like sanding the feed ramp.

Opinions?

Otherwise, the pistol is great...accurate and comfortable. I love it.
I would not worry. Just break it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the advice. I'll put some more through it and see what happens.

I'm like a nervous parent with this lovely little pistol ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Try to keep track of which mag you are using when the FTF occurs as that may be a mag related problem, but once in 100 rounds is not bad for a new pistol, however if it continues it should be looked at. Keep track of the mags and ammo at the time of FTF it will gp a long way in diagnosing the problem.

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
IF, and only IF, the FTF's continue, look at beveling and polishing the extractor first before messing with Barrel and Frame Feed Ramps. The text on the linked page below describes what has to be done. Other than magazines, this really seems to be where the source of most 1911 feed problems are, in my experience. http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm

·
Registered
178 Posts
Liontari,

Most manufacturers won't even look at a gun with those types of problems before reaching breakin quantities. I suggest not only do you put more rounds through the gun, but also try ammunition from different manufacturers. I have seen many guns, both inexpensive and expensive that will work flawlessly with one brand, work quite well with many others but absolutely become a jam-o-matic with one brand. My son has one that he got from Santa Dad for Christmas. Before he got it, all nicely wrapped up, Santa Dad had already put over 200 rounds through it...and I also had one FTF. My son has now put almost 1000 rounds through it since getting it for Christmas and has yet to experience any problems whatsoever.

tex

·
Registered
116 Posts
Liontari

I bought a 24/7 Pro recently shot 100 rounds out of it preformed flawlwssly. Took it home cleaned it up a bit took it back to the range and was having mulitpul jams, FTE, FTF, Stovepiping at least 8 per mag need less to say I was heart broken. So what did I do I field striped it and looked NO oil anywhere I went out and bought some MMC gun oil lubed it up and wouldnt you know 500 rounds later not 1 malfuction occured all shot flawlessly. The point is maybe the gun could use a good lube job (no pun people). If was was on the shelf for a while maybe some of the oil dried up with time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
+1 @zemus

i actually fieldstripped my PT1911 and cleaned it out before i shot it. lots of brownlike preservative on the gun and it was filthy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments.

I did strip & clean before shooting it the first time and lubed it pretty good. I have a feeling it might have been the magazine. I used a better quality mag today and fired 100 rounds without any problems whatsoever--same ammo.

So, I feel better now--thanks again. I'll continue to monitor conditions and see what happens.

Man, I love this pistol! 2" group, 50 rnds @ 7 yards...best I ever shot. Putting rounds through the same holes all day. Even brought the target home to show the old lady.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts