Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I already own two PT1911s. One with a parkerized finish and one railed SS. The railed stainless one is perfect. I liked it so much that I decided to get another non-railed one in SS. It came in today. I inspected it the best I could at the FFL, but as it was loaded with packing grease, there is only so much you can see. So I get it home and field strip it to clean it. I was very dissapointed with what I found. Very poor machining on a lot of areas. Here are some of the worse things.

The grip safety is not rounded properly. Hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like someone just took a file to it.

Butcher job on this screw. Besides for the gouge, the top edge is somewhat bent (can't see it in the picture). The trigger has tooling marks everywhere.

The slide has bad tooling marks too.

The slide serration's have small dings and while it's hard to see in the picture, there are some swirl marks from the cutter (most likely it was dull)

So I'm not sure what I want to do. It shoots fine and it's not going to be a safe queen. So I may just leave well enough alone instead of shipping it back and hoping they fix it all (and not make it worse). Needless to say I was pretty disappointed.

Administrator
If it shoots fine, that's what I'd do with it. None of those things pictured would be a deal breaker for me, particularly on a shooter. My PT1911SS, has more of those marks than yours, but I put nearly every one of them there myself. And I've enjoyed doing so, every minute! :D

Registered
I know how ya feel. As much as I love shooting my firearms, I love them to look good too. However, I have actually put up with those kinds of things before and decided to call them "character".......

Registered
Everyone sees things differently so if you're not happy with your firearm I don't blame you. Although you will find that with time you'll add a few dings and blemishing of your own to just about any firearm. The way I see it is if it functions as it should I'm not going to worry about a scratch or two, I've also actually bought some at a discount because of cosmetic imperfection.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I do have to remember that these don't cost a lot. But I would still prefer to give it "character" myself. it's like when you buy a new car and there is one little scratch or something. You can't seem to take your eyes off of it for the first month. After that you forget it's there. Now, had it had some problems shooting, it would be going back. But I ran 100 rounds though it without any issues. So I guess I'll just suck it up and try not to stare at the blemishes.

Registered
If you decide not to send it back there is somethings you can do yourself to blend all those areas and that is sand them down with plumbers emery cloth it will erase all those blemishes with out changing any of the mat finish look. good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you decide not to send it back there is somethings you can do yourself to blend all those areas and that is sand them down with plumbers emery cloth it will erase all those blemishes with out changing any of the mat finish look. good luck.
Yeah, I've already fixed several of them. I have a bead blaster which works well for restoring the matte finish. Mostly I was just dissapointeed that there were so many blemishes on pretty much evey part. Makes me wonder if their QC is going downhill. As noted above the railed one I got a couple of years ago was perfect.

Registered
I know how you feel. Personally, I check my guns pretty close by cleaning after I purchase but before I take them to the range. That is mostly a cosmetic & overll function check, & if everything looks good there I then take them to the range.

To be completely honest with you, I would have been very close to calling my dealer & taking that gun back - not so much because those cosmetic defects would bother me (they would to a degree), but because I would be worried what else could be wrong with a gun that looks as though it was carelessly manufactured. I'm glad it runs for you.

Taurus is selling a lot of PT1911 pistols & I have to wonder if things might be getting sloppy in the plant. Thank you for sharing. I'm considering adding that gun in 9MM - meaning the non-railed SS version - to my collection as I have the blued version. If I get to the point where I am ready to buy, I'll be doing a very close inspection before I sign any papers!

Registered
I can understand your position of being disappointed, if you buy new you did so for a reason. Because you didn't want someone elses blems and boo boos. Personally I would have called TAurus and ask to send it back to be corrected or replaced. After all, once you fire it, it can be blamed back on you as abuse of the firearm.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can understand your position of being disappointed, if you buy new you did so for a reason. Because you didn't want someone elses blems and boo boos. Personally I would have called TAurus and ask to send it back to be corrected or replaced. After all, once you fire it, it can be blamed back on you as abuse of the firearm.
One of the "issues" that I have, is that I buy a new gun and then it ends up sitting in the safe because I don't want to ding it up. Since I was planning on shooting this one a lot, I guess the blems will make me not worry so much about putting a few more on there myself.

The railed one is my nightstand gun, so it will stay in pristine condition.

One of the problems in general is where I live (very rural) is that the local FFL will recieve guns but won't ship for whatever reason (it's a gun range first and FFL 2nd). So they have a discaimer that any inbound transfers are at the buyers risk. In other words, once you it comes in, it's yours. I usually buy most of my guns at local gun shops or FTF. But nobody had any of the SS PT1911s, and I ordered from Buds because they had the best price. I've ordered from them before without issue. But they also have a disclaimer that once you accept it, it's yours. however, even if my FFL would have done a return, the gun actuallly looked ok at the shop. But it had so much packing grease on it, that I would not have noticed many of these things anyway when I went to pick it up.

Anyway, after this, I will start using another FFl that will ship back, even if I have to drive an extra 25 miles.

Registered
Just clean the media off and oil, it's a stainless model why would it rust?

Registered
For me, it would be a matter of principle. Your expectations were of an asthetically pleasing as well as a mechanically sound firearm. They were not met. Taurus did not send any money back because the gun was not as expected. If it were me, I would send it back and demand either it be brought up to snuff, replaced or my money refunded. Part of what you pay for is the asthetics.

Reactions: oso and cuban

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you use to keep rust from forming after you've blasted the gun?
As already noted, it's stainless which was blasted to begin with to give it the matte finish and it won't rust. But I didn't blast the whole gun. I only touched up some of the parts like the mag catch and the slide stop (which looked like it was never blasted to begin with, like the one on my railed PT1911 looks).

As for the principle of it, I really did consider sending it back. But I don't know what the odds are of getting a call tag (vice having to pay to ship it like their warranty says). And to be honest, I don't think they could have just fixed everything without actually replacing the whole gun. Then I would run the risk of some other issues. So, I'll just keep it and shoot the heck out of it.

Registered
I think you have a problem giving up your guns, especially after making them your own.

Me too.

By the way your bead blast job looks great.

Registered
hmmm, i had the same issues with a 38super i just recieved! poor craftmanship/quality contol!! not properly polished before blued, gauges all over and an extreemly loose slide and crappy barrel fit! and you bet your azz i sent that sucker back!! would you buy a tv with scratches all over as long as the picture and the remote works and pay full price? not me!! ya ill be waiting 4 weeks, and ya it was hell trying to get through to customer service but the sent me a return label and assured me it would be fixed.....time will tell!!!

by the way, im new here! and im not sure i made a good choice in getting that PT1911AR in the black/gold!! if it dont come back nice and tight with a flawless finish, it'll be the last taurus i buy! im really hoping they will do me right!!!

Registered
balde, welcome to the friendliest forum on the net, from central Florida.

hope you get all your expectations met.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way your bead blast job looks great.
Just to clarify, the picture of the railed PT1911 did not have anything done to it. I only posted it as a comparison to show that it was perfect when I received it.

Registered
You really need to weigh the pros and cons of keeping it vs sending it back. If you can live with nicks and machining marks, fine, but it also could have similar issues internally. I would have photographed it and sent the pics into Taurus and gotten their reply before deciding your next course of action

Registered
hey thanks for the welcome Cuban! i think things will turn out ok! i was kinda bent at first and left feeling empty handed so i fixed that! there was a gun show in the area last weekend and well..............there was this pt1911 in the matt blk with the gold trim and the rosewood grips in 45acp in real good shape,no scratches, tight barrel fit, slide had alittle play but not too bad and,um well, i couldnt resist!!
45 073.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts