Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've had a PT 745 for about a year. It had to go back to the factory in March to fix a mag release problem. It's been fine since then. I picked it over the 145 sight unseen because it has a slimmer grip and therefore is more concealable. I started carrying a second magazine last fall cause I didn't want to be caught short. Meantime, I was wondering if I shoulda bought the PT145 instead.

Last Monday, I stopped at an out of town store to ogle their guns. I got ahold of a 145 and it immeidately felt better in my hand. I have long fingers, although I don't consider my hands big. Anyway, I knew what needed to be done.

On Wednesday, I showed the PT 745 to a guy I know who likes guns and was looking for a big bore sub compact. He currently carries a Bersa Thunder .380 He said he'd take it, and the deal was made. That afternoon, I stopped at my local gun store and ordered the PT145.

On Friday it arrived. I have never seen so much grease on a gun. But it cleaned up nice.

Now, I've been reading about all of the problems with the 145's. Recoil springs popping out, loading and cycling probs, and it got me a bit worried. But heck, I figured I'd had my bad luck already, and shouldn't have any trouble, right?

On Saturday afternoon I took 2 boxes of Blazer Brass 230 gr ball and a box of Gold Dot 185 gr. HP's to the range. I was not trying for speed, technique, or pinpoint accuracy. Just trying to break in the gun and see if it shoots to point of aim at self defense distance.

I shot 80 rounds of Blazer from a bench rest at 21 feet. Here's a pic of the third mag's results:

There were absolutely zero problems with the Blazer Brass.

I then shot the box of Gold Dots. The slide hung up trying to feed the first round from the magazine, but as I was looking at it, it closed. I just pushed on it a little to make sure it was in battery, and had no more problems. It might have been my grip.

Notes:

The PT145 is easier for me to control than the 745, and I expect this is because the grip fits my hand better. I was noticeably faster on my double taps. Also, I was damn glad I was wearing real eye protection. I had two spent cases careen off the ceiling and into my shooting glasses. The second one burned me above my eyebrow and then slid between my glasses and my face. Good thing I was the only one shooting as I can't tell you with certainty where the muzzle was pointed as I was trying not to burn my eyeball..

I spent Friday evening with a snap cap working the trigger from both SA & DA. I think it helped a lot as well.
I was seriously considering an XD45 compact. I like the XD,s, but these MilPros are sweet!

Here's my baby:

--Edited twice--
First to resize the pics.
Second, although the chamber loaded indicator is popping, it's a snap cap, not a live round.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased 2 of the PT 145 pistols. My wife and I really liked them in the beginning. After about 200-300 rounds fired they began malfunctioning by not returning to battery the first 5 rounds from a full magazine. Usually the round would hang up just below the feed ramp. Tried cleaning, lubing, received new magazines from Taurus still malfunctioning. Please fire at least 300-500 rounds before you make a final determination on reliability of this or any semi-auto pistol. I will say Taurus got a few things right like accuracy (scary accurate from a 3.2 in. barrel), easily concealed in a high capacity package. Reliability: NOT!

I am returning mine to Taurus. They get one chance to fix the problem. After that I am selling them.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hey tman, is the width of the grips really that noticeably different between the 745 and the 145? The reason I'm ask is, I'm trying to decide between the two. Also, do they both have the rail, which I don't care for?

Thanks, John

Didn't mean to hijack the post.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 745 doesn't have a rail.

I'd show you a side by side of the grips...Maybe I can borrow the 745 from the guy I sold it to for a pic. I'll call him. Maybe 3/8 inch...

There's enough of a difference for me, but I have longer, skinny fingers. I was able to manage recoil better with the 145.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Always wear a ball cap to the range. That prevents the spent case from coming down and hitting you in the face or getting lodged in your glasses (ouch!). A shirt with no collar is also a must.

This PT145 throws brass just right (at least for me at my range) to have it bouncing onto my head. I feel it hit the ball cap and hear it hit the ear muffs pretty regularly.

Also...ladies....as much as we like seeing you in those low cut blouses....well, you get the idea lol.

Splitter

·
Registered
178 Posts
Since the topic is "New PT145 Range Report," I'll post this here....

Bought my new MilPro PT 145 about a month ago. Off to the range. Shooting down and to the left.

Two weeks later, off to another range closer to my hacienda. Shooting down and to the left, again.

The Range Pro stopped by as I was looking for the hex key to adjust my sights.....

"Whatchya doing," he said. I told him this was my second trip to a range, I was a new shooter, and I was going to try to adjust my sights.

"Might not be the gun, could be the shooter" the pro said. Ther very first thought that went through my head was "*&#% you!" But, realizing that I AM a newbie, I gave precedence to his statement.

"Lemme have a go" the pro said. At my 7-yard target, he nailed it, every time. Obviously......, the shooter.

The pointers he gave was that I was gripping too much of the trigger with my finger. And, there is a groove on the left-side to place my left thumb for bracing.

I applied his advice, and....Wha-Lah! Bullseye on the fourth round.

I initially had to choke on my ego. But darn glad I did. Thank you, Range Pro Sonny, of Chandlers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.