Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up both a PT92 AF and a PT111 Mil pro. Having problems with both of them.

I've managed to follow the instructions for both as best I can. I've put about 250 rounds through each of them thus far as best as I can. I've only used Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ brass ammo with both guns thus far which is basically all I've been able to find for ammo.

So what's the problem? Well with the PT111 I have massive problems with the magazine popping out darn near every time I pull the trigger. I know it's not me as I've hooked it up to vice bench rest so I could pull the trigger without ever having any part of my hand near the mag disconnect. One magazine is certainly worse than they other, but they both pop out when shooting and do so often. It's been a massive pain putting those 250 rounds through it. I have to basically push the mag constantly into the gun or use some other means to affix it firmly in place to prevent the magazine from flying out with every shot.

Not only that, it's inaccurate as all hell. When viced into a rest, the groupings are more than 6 inchs apart at 7 yards. Every shot also goes to the left and low. It's just seems to be a massive turd. Which is a bummer since I love the look and feel of the gun in my hands.

As for the PT92AF I also purchased at about the same time, I have the problem of the trigger not resetting every so often. I've cleaned it several times and make sure there is zero grit in the trigger area. Still, every so often after I press the trigger when firing the trigger stays down without resetting. I literally have to pull the trigger back forward when it happens. Otherwise it shoots fine when the trigger problem doesn't happen. I think out of 250 shots it has done it about 15 times or so. It's pretty random when it happens. I'll go 20-40 shots with nothing and then it'll screw up 1 to 4 times in a row. Then back to fine for the next 20 shots. Unlike the PT111 I have which doesn't seem capable of hitting the wall of a barn from the inside, this gun at least can shoot the same hole at 7 yards.

These common problems for this gun? Is there something I can look at to see what might be wrong without having to spend money trying to get them fixed? Really hate buying a brand new item and having to then spend money on shipping to get it working.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Shipping IA free the first year for repairs.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum, humble! I suggest you contact Taurus CS as soon as you can because the shipping is free only in the 1st 60 days after you purchase the gun NIB. It used to be free shipping in the 1st year but Taurus has changed their shipping policy recently. It'll cost you $50-$90 to overnight the pistol to Taurus if you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Same here on the advice, get it them back to them. It is very unfortunate that you are having issue with the pistols, I have the PT111 Pro, a 2011 model, and have thousands of rounds through it. Based on near fifty years of gun ownership, it has been one of the most depending semi autos I've ever owned.

A search for the magazine drop issue could offer advice for a cure but the accuracy issue is another matter. With the reduction in the free shipping period, I would just send them back.

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is reason for concern, indeed. And I think Taurus should take care of the problems for you.

I only use 124 and 147 grain factory ammo at the range for my PT 111 Pro now and can keep 1 inch groups at 5 to 7 meters shooting off hand. The spreads go a little wider farther out, but with practice one can keep groups less than 2 inches apart at best shooting in an IPSC format (2 shots per target, various ranges). I think perhaps the Taurus 9mm pistols (as well as that from many other manufacturers) are better suited for the 124 to 147 grain bullets rather than the lighter ones. The only 115 grain product that shoots well out of my Millennium Pro is Hornady's 115 grain Critical Defense line.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
On the Mil Pro- the low left is trigger. This gun has a poor long spongy trigger pull. Its a $300 gun. The groupings will improve over time- you will eventually get accustomed to the trigger and it will loosen a bit over time.
The mag drop is fairly common- but that does not make it okay. You can send it back to Taurus and have the spring on the mag release replaces- I recommend you do that. Also send the mag that you have the most trouble with- let them replace that also. That should fix you up except for the trigger pull- you just have to pull it til it gets limber.
On the 92.....let Taurus fix that trigger reset.

The Mil Pro problems are common, the 92 problem is not common.
I know its a bummer for a new gun to have trouble- but it happens, and not only with Taurus. I have Bersa, Springfield, S&W, and others that have needed repair- and some right out of the box. I have had 3 Taurus pistols. 2 have been good (111 and 845), one was a complete dud ( 738 ).

The main thing here- DON'T LOSE HEART.
Call Taurus and ship them both back at the same time.

Edit: The shipping and repairs should be no cost to you- Taurus should send you a pre-paid shipping label, and the repairs will be free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts