Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into some problems with my new PT111 Pro, loading magazines full (or 6, 7, 8 rounds - didn't matter) I ran into many problems with one round angling up into the barrel, and jamming up. Also ran into problems with ejected shells not fully ejecting, getting caught in the slide, and jamming.

Fired fine, and I absolutely LOVE the gun, but after 100 rounds today - I was just plagued by this issue. Happened with both magazines that came with the gun. Could this be because the primer side of the rounds aren't at the back of the magazine? Not a considerable gap, but I noticed when this happened that the next round coming up would either get caught and have a 1/8th inch gap between the primer and back side of the mag.

10 yds I put 48 rounds within the 7-circle, VERY pleased with my purchase other than what I stated above! If no one really knows what I mean, I will get pictures/video next day I'm at the range and find the same issues.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I have the same type, and I did have occasion for this to happen, but not with the frequency that your having. And mine was with only one mag. It turned out that Mag was defective, wide at the front, narrow close to the primer end of the mag. After replacement of the mag, I have not had that problem again.

But, the one question that pops up again and again here. Did you do a thorough cleaning of the factory gunk that the gun came in. We had to clean every part of the slide, and action prior to using it. Even the ejection area, and firing pin area. Then actually a little over oiled for the first time firing.

The other thing was on one of mine I had a defective ramp on the barrel. Large gouge on one side of it. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=311

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave the gun a good once-over when I got home with it, and oiled it very lightly (figuring it was new, already oiled as they are, wouldn't have any problems). I'm going to ask, maybe you can do this or someone else, if they have a micrometer to measure the inside of their clips to see what the tolerance is for a good, working magazine at the top (front and back), so I can compare to mine.

Also, I noticed just now one of my magazines (when unloaded) is about 5mm taller than the other. I'm estimating the 5mm based off of the slide catch sticking over the top of the metal frame. I've got a feeling this magazine might be reason for my problems, or the cause of the problems. It clicks when depressed or loading ammo, and the other does not, so I'm guessing it's a bad clip (or that's the good one, the other is bad).

Spoke to someone just now that has ran into the same empty shell ejection problems, said with the Remington UMC's they are bulk produced and aren't a very good round and might not have enough power in a few to work my slide and ejection properly. I don't want to up to +P's, because that shouldn't happen with ANY round, and don't want to shorten this gun's lifespan by using the +P's.

I'll snap some pictures, just need to use my girlfriends computer to transfer them, so it'll take an hour or two.

·
15,931 Posts
Well lets see, I have only fired about 400 Remington UMC thru mine. Never had a misfire, Did have a couple not load, but that was the mag problem. I also ran about 100 wolf steel casing rounds in 124 thru it.

Sorry I do not have a micrometer, or even a good caliper to check the dimensions.

The one taller than the other, Hmmm! unusual, but like anything made by man, possible. That should only be a problem if the catch location on the mag is off the same amount, from the top of the mag, causing one mag to seat further than the other.But if the longer mag sits the same amount below the bottom of the grip, then that part is correct. But again you said both mags were doing it or did you!!

I understand but do not know personally, that Taurus supposedly has another company produce the mags. To be sure you have a problem, you would need a dif mag, or mags to run a test and see if it happens still. But if the opening at the front of the mag is wider than the back, and or a dif height that could be the whole thing.

The rounds do not move forward during the stripping of the previous round, or at least I do not notice it since I changed out the bad one, and bought a 3rd one to use.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brought it to the range today, tried BOTH magazines (again) and still had the same problems, I'll start with the fail to eject.

And the fail to feed, bullet dives into the barrel like so.

Anyone experienced thse problems?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing to note, could this have anything to do with cold(er) weather shooting? One day was indoor, in the range, but it was still ~60deg and today it was ~20deg while I was shooting. Can't really say I love Michigan sometimes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I want to get a PT111 Pro, too. I had thought about the Springfield XD 9mm sub-compact, but I am familiar with the Taurus trigger and the price is better. I haven't had any problems with my 24/7 9mm, but I held a PT745 not too long ago and liked the feel. I have really big hands. How much does the type of ammunition play in the proper running of the weapon? I want to use Hornady TAP FPD ammo because of the research I have done, it seems to be the best bang for the buck (excuse the bad pun). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sholiz,

Do you have any pics of your feed ramp? How many rounds have you gone through so far? It took mine a while to 'break in' (about 300 rounds or so), now it fires with no complaints.

·
15,931 Posts
sholiz said:
Brought it to the range today, tried BOTH magazines (again) and still had the same problems, I'll start with the fail to eject.
And the fail to feed, bullet dives into the barrel like so.
Anyone experienced thse problems?
Like said before, it sounded just like the very few that I had. The pictures look identical, even though I did not take any of mine when it happened.
If it is the mags, you will not know until replaced. I remember the dif lengths thing, If the mag is shifting, or not holding correctly I would guess that this could happen.
I think you need to either have a pro gunsmith look at it, or fuss until the dealer replaces one or both mags. I know mine replaced defective mag quickly with no Taurus involvement.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winchester White Box, MagTech, Blazer's, Fiocci, UMC ... all fed without a problem today. I really got to enjoy this gun today! It was a joy to shoot, snappy recoil, but I've shot a 1911 for years before this, so no bother.

·
15,931 Posts
Well I do not feel to bad now! I see a lot of what you fired were below the centerline of the target. I finally got most of mine there, and not off the target. Still not ready to try and qualify for CCW with it, but who knows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts