Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new PT 99 AFS pistol last week. The following day I put 175 rounds through it. Although surprisingly accurate out to 30' offhand, I started getting stovepipes and Fto Feed problems with one of my 115 grain FMJ handloads that only got worse as I continued shooting them. When I switched to a 124 grain FMJ TC handload using the same powder and charge weight, this pistol fired flawlessly.

Of course I realize a new firearm needs to be broken in with a few hundred rounds. And as the pistol got dirtier this could have contributed to the problem. But I still find it strange that my 124 grain loads functioned flawlessly in the pistol towards the end of my shooting session when the pistol was dirtiest, and the 115 grain loads nearly stopped functioning altogether.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have to try factory 115's before it can be blamed on the gun, until you shoot factory loads, I tend to blame the reload for the problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I started shooting, I fired a full mag of my 115 grain FMJ handloads without encountering any problems. I then fired a full mag of my Federal 115 grain JHP +P+ carry ammo through it without any problems. I then fired another full mag of my 115 grain FMJ handloads through it without a hitch. It wasn't until I had fired over a hundred rounds or more that I started encountering stovepipes and F-to-Feed problems.

Also, these same 115 grain handloads function flawlessly in my S&W 915, and my wife's 24/7 DAO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
paulrabe78 said:
Well I would say that it is just a matter of breaking the gun in.
I hope you're right, because I like everything about the PT 99. And I've never really heard or read anything bad about these particular pistols... Well, except, of course, that they are a Taurus product, so they have to be junk, right?.. :rolleyes:

·
32,737 Posts
One of the things about guns is that they are picky about ammo. Pistols especially.
Some of that is in this.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6716.0

Granted, the PT92 is not a compact psitol, but a lot of what's in there still applies to full size pistols,too.

The right overall cartridge size, cartridge length, bullet depth setting in case, the casewidth,etc., all are vital. If any of those measurements are a bit off either way the pistol will not feed the cartridges properly nor can function take place the way it should.

Even primer pockets or primers being too shallow or too far out of the case can cause problems.
Just some areas and things to consider.

Each pistol is a headspace inigma. Case by case basis.

Not saying that you do not know what you are doing. Just that these things do happen. Even to veteran reloaders and shooters.

If the gun works with the many kinds of commercial ammo then it will work with other types of ammo. The bugaboo is ammo demensions and getting one's own reloads to those precise measurements is a hard task at times. Obviously it can be done. Just takes experimentation and checking the specs on the ammo all the way round.

Reloaders do use their own home brewed stuff all the time in their Taurus pistols. Just have to look at the sticking point problems.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Did you give it a good cleaning prior to the range trip? The preservative oil Taurus ships its weapons in is very thick and collects carbon like a magnet collects iron filings. That could account for the stovepipes, especially after 100 rounds. The failures to feed could have been from fouled magazines. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
InfidelIllini said:
Did you give it a good cleaning prior to the range trip? The preservative oil Taurus ships its weapons in is very thick and collects carbon like a magnet collects iron filings. That could account for the stovepipes, especially after 100 rounds. The failures to feed could have been from fouled magazines. Just thinking out loud.
I strip and thoroughly clean every new, or used firearm and magazines before I ever use them. This also gives me a chance to better inspect them in detail.

·
32,737 Posts
Good point InfidelIllini. That's one of the ,pardon the pun, sticking areas with any pistol.

Firing pin channels and any nook or cranny will have gummy residue and accumlated grime. Have to give those a good scrubbing. Toothpicks,dental pick, old toothbrush,cotton swabs, dabbed in solvent, and any other needed equipment should take care of the problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Qwiks draw said:
One of the things about guns is that they are picky about ammo. Pistols especially.
Some of that is in this.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6716.0

Granted, the PT92 is not a compact psitol, but a lot of what's in there still applies to full size pistols,too.

The right overall cartridge size, cartridge length, bullet depth setting in case, the casewidth,etc., all are vital. If any of those measurements are a bit off either way the pistol will not feed the cartridges properly nor can function take place the way it should.

Even primer pockets or primers being too shallow or too far out of the case can cause problems.
Just some areas and things to consider.

Each pistol is a headspace inigma. Case by case basis.

Not saying that you do not know what you are doing. Just that these things do happen. Even to veteran reloaders and shooters.

If the gun works with the many kinds of commercial ammo then it will work with other types of ammo. The bugaboo is ammo demensions and getting one's own reloads to those precise measurements is a hard task at times. Obviously it can be done. Just takes experimentation and checking the specs on the ammo all the way round.

Reloaders do use their own home brewed stuff all the time in their Taurus pistols. Just have to look at the sticking point problems.
You're absolutely right about the many variables that can create a dilemma for shooters who roll their own. However, I've been tailoring my own ammo for various rifles and handguns for over fourteen years, and the only time I've ever encountered a problem similar to this one is when I supplied my wife with various handloads and factory ammo to checkout her new 24/7 DAO pistol. It functioned flawlessly with everything except factory Magtech 115 grain FMJ range fodder, which failed to feed every other round.

·
32,737 Posts
Could be bullet weight. Can't discard that possibilty. Cartridge length and dimensions do cause this kind of issue. Magtech has had issues on this at times.

Many 9mm. pistols are either designed for or seem to like 124 gr. pills better than the 115 gr. ones.
Was the Magtech new or remanufactured ammo? Magtech at times has been a sticking point for many brands or individual pistols. Not putting Magtech down, but there have been issues for those particular guns.

Pistols are finicky about the ammo they like. So this could be the case.

Could it be the way the gun is held and the pressure of the hand or grip in general causing this?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Many 9mm. pistols are either designed for or seem to like 124 gr. pills better than the 115 gr. ones.
According to the owner's manual the 92/99 were designed for 124gr. That being said I've put @ 300, 115 grn WWB and 45, 115 grn Remington JHP's through my 92 with nary a problem.

·
32,737 Posts
Haven't seen any other complaints about ammo like this one without there being an apparent reason.

PT92s were ammo torture tested by different agencies and gun magazines and the bullet weight was never a problem. This being true down through the last few decades.

Same thing with members here. Haven't seen it.
115gr. and the 124gr. ammo are and have been the bread and butter rounds for the PT92 and other Taurus pistols.

Recoil springs, mag springs, and mag release springs can all need replacing if there is a malfuncion of some kind or have had severe or long usage.

Usually it's a gun being finicky.

Been through the archives here,TFL and THR. Nada on the ammo problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Qwiks draw said:
Could be bullet weight. Can't discard that possibilty. Cartridge length and dimensions do cause this kind of issue. Magtech has had issues on this at times.
I have an S2K 9mm carbine that seemed to function better when new with 124 grain bullets. The S2K eats anything I feed it now as long as the loads aren't too light.

Was the Magtech new or remanufactured ammo? Magtech at times has been a sticking point for many brands or individual pistols. Not putting Magtech down, but there have been issues for those particular guns.
My S&W 915 literally locked-up when I fed it loads using Sierra 124 grain JHP bullets. I attributed this anomaly to the fact I never develop loads with the recommended O.A.L., especially when loading the relatively high pressure 9mm Luger cartridge due to pressure concerns. As long as the cartridge fits the magazine and feeds reliably I will continue to develop loads that exceed the listed O.A.L.. Since I was only testing the terminal ballistic properties of these particular Sierra bullets, I simply stopped using them rather than readjusting their seating depth, which I would have done if I intended to continue using them... Oddly, my HP-995 carbine ate them without belching once. :D

Pistols are finicky about the ammo they like. So this could be the case.

Could it be the way the gun is held and the pressure of the hand or grip in general causing this?
That's possible, since I'm not entirely familiar with how the PT 99 handles yet, I could have been part of the problem.

I would also like to add that I suffer from chronic back problems. I had been experiencing lower back pain that was radiating down my left leg on the day I first shot my PT 99. This could have contributed to the human factor. A later MRI detected another herniated disc that has been making my daily life hell. I was going to take my new Taurus to the range again today, but the pain I endure just getting into and out of my vehicle is excruciating. I'm hoping by next week I'll be feeling better so I can at least perform my daily activities without choking back screams.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Davidk0031 said:
124's with same powder charge as 115's will generate a higher pressure & recoil thus worked the pistol better, even dirty.

David
Yep! ;) That's why I used my head for something other than a hat rack and tried the 124 grain loads instead of getting impatient and blaming the pistol without further testing.

Sadly, the excellent 124 grain FMJ-TC bullets I used for testing that day were made by the now defunct Star bullet company. I just happened to buy the last 2,000 Star bullets a dealer had in stock after the bullet maker went under.

The 115 grain FMJ-HB bullets I used that day are actually quite accurate and function well in my other firearms. So far, I've purchased 3,000 of these unknown manufacturer bullets from an online dealer for a low price that includes the shipping charge... And no, I'm not going to reveal the name of my source. :p ;D

·
32,737 Posts
BUUUWAHAHAHA!! :evil: :guns: :angel: :shooter: :devil: :devil: :judge:

Hey. For not revealing sources punishment can be very extreme. The virtual dungeon here is BRUUUUUttttal!

Floobing with Nerf bats or soft noodle cat-o-nine tails leaves human husks behind.

Having to view to Janet Reno speeches or Tammy Faye Baker make-up tips will bring anybody to their knees.
Last guy we hung up had to listen to Obama/ Rev.Wrong Way Wright speeches and sermons for 10 hours.
Not a pretty picture of what's left.

So,out with the sources, man. Or else? LOL

Dang, Flyer's got the virtual key and won't let us play. Shocking!

Guess the sources are secret for now. LOL

·
Registered
184 Posts
TJCONEAVERA.COM is the source. 1K 115gr HB FMJ for $78 delivered. Go to PrecisionDeltasales.com They have better prices and more choices.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts