Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new PT 845 yesterday and I get to take it out to the farm tomorrow for the first time! This happens to also be my first pistol, and my first carry weapon. I know, it's large, but I have broad shoulders and a deep chest so my shirts tend to "drape" over my waist providing sufficient room around my waist for IWB carry. I need suggestions on a holster. Are all the 800 series the same size? (9mm, 40, 45?) And if they are, does that mean that if in a previous post someone says that a certain holster works well for their 809, it means that that holster will also work well for an 845?

Any advice on holsters, carrying, maintaining, using, anything else for this firearm is greatly appreciated!
Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Going by the specs on the Taurus site they are the same. I have a Blackhawk Serpa CQC meant for the 24/7..... it works well for my PT809. Clean it well before first use and enjoy the hell out of it. Post pics and a range report soon.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congratulations! Sorry can't help with the holster question. I look forward to your range report. Clean that gun real good before shooting it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the manual gives no instructions how to clean the working parts inside the frame, can anyone tell me how they clean all the moving parts that are really close together and hard to reach?

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Since the manual gives no instructions how to clean the working parts inside the frame, can anyone tell me how they clean all the moving parts that are really close together and hard to reach?
Get a can or two off "gun blast" I think is the name. Go outside and blast away. Wear eye protection as that stuff comes out with force. Then reoil.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Just got my new PT 845 yesterday and I get to take it out to the farm tomorrow for the first time! This happens to also be my first pistol, and my first carry weapon. I know, it's large, but I have broad shoulders and a deep chest so my shirts tend to "drape" over my waist providing sufficient room around my waist for IWB carry. I need suggestions on a holster. Are all the 800 series the same size? (9mm, 40, 45?) And if they are, does that mean that if in a previous post someone says that a certain holster works well for their 809, it means that that holster will also work well for an 845?

Any advice on holsters, carrying, maintaining, using, anything else for this firearm is greatly appreciated!
Thanks all.

I realize this is tough to do nowadays, but my words of advice to you are this: buy a lot of that ^^^^^. Then go shoot. When your box of ammo is empty, get another one and repeat the process. There are no shortcuts to accuracy, and no get rich quick schemes to being a good shot. When the balloon goes up , the last man standing is the one with the better skillset.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
...buy a lot of (ammo). Then go shoot. When your box of ammo is empty, get another one and repeat the process. There are no shortcuts to being a good shot. When the balloon goes up , the last man standing is the one with the better skillset.
I agree, if as much money was spent on practice ammo as some folks spend on lasers, kick stands and picatinny rails they'd be a lot more skilled good guys on the streets. :r_c:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber works great. Make sure it is the synthetic safe. Hose the whole gun out good with that and let it dry. Then follow up with a spray lubricant like Rem Oil or Break Free CLP. I like to use Break Free liquid in the bottle on the slide rails. Give it a good workout on the range and then repeat the cleaning process again. You can get most of these products at Walmart.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am a real fan of the Crossbreed/clones. Theis is a sponsor here and I personally use Foxx holsters, (check Amazon).

·
Registered
6 Posts
; IMI Taurus PT800 Series Polymer Retention Holster. I bought mine off of Zahal.org which is an Israel website. I ordered it on the 13th but I have not received it yet. I own the PT845. there is a video of the Polymer Retention Holster on youtube that you NEED to watch. other than that I use the Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner and Oil, works fine for me. I hope this helps you out. I;

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congratulations on the new firearm. Agreed with Ice, SilverTauron and Moondawg. Toothbrush and que tips work well. Many oils out there for maintenance, i enjoy shooters choice. AMMO AMMO AMMO!!! Holster wise I also agree with Tactical, but you can order directly from IMI Defence. They not only have the retention holster for 800 series but a very interesting looking universal IWB holster. I have one on its way as well as a retention holster for my 92. with 3 different mounting options. paddle, belt loop and MOLLE attachment. IMI-Z1360 - Taurus Holster. Retention Roto Holster for Taurus PT 800 Series

Advanced Polymer Pistol Holsters for Glock, Sig, 1911, Heckler & Koch, Beretta, Ruger etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just received the IMI Roto Retention Holster and fits like a glove! I currently have the paddle on mine but the button is really easy to press to release the gun. I purchased mine off Zahal.org for $40 including shipping and handling and that is the reason I didn't purchase it right through IMI because I was looking at around $60 to $65 so I did a little searching around and found it for less. It took 8 days for shipping from Israel so not a bad deal! Check em out!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going to post a short range report and I'll have more questions as my 845 is shooting about 6 inches below level with the sights at 35 feet.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

I have a PT 845 myself and for a carry holster I use a large size Glock Sport holster. It fits like a glove and cost less than $15.00.

Paul

·
Registered
486 Posts
For concealed carry I use a Crossbreed Supertuck made for a 24/7 to carry my 845. It fits fine even though the indents for the slide release and other controls don't line up perfect. It also doubles as my MilPro 45, which controls do line up.

A friend of mine had no clue I was carrying the 845 until I talked to him about it. 12+1 and a spare mag makes me comfortable enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going to post a short range report and I'll have more questions as my 845 is shooting about 6 inches below level with the sights at 35 feet.
How are you sighting? At 21 feet, mine is dead-on. I line the three dots up and the target is covered by the center dot. If you are "lollipoping" it, you will shoot low. It's also possible you could be anticipating the recoil and unconsciously pushing down on the gun as it's fired. Due to the long travel of the trigger and the lack of a predictable breaking point, I find myself doing that and having to consciously avoid it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How are you sighting? At 21 feet, mine is dead-on. I line the three dots up and the target is covered by the center dot. If you are "lollipoping" it, you will shoot low. It's also possible you could be anticipating the recoil and unconsciously pushing down on the gun as it's fired. Due to the long travel of the trigger and the lack of a predictable breaking point, I find myself doing that and having to consciously avoid it.

I prefer not to cover up the bulls eye with the center dot because at longer distances it is harder to be accurate due to the dot becoming quite a bit larger than the target. I prefer to have the top of the sights level about 1 inch below bulls eye so I can see it more clearly. Is that what you mean by lollipopping? Maybe this is unorthodox (I don't have any idea what is "proper"), but it is what works best for me. At about 10 yards, I am gettin 2 inch groups centered 5 to 6 inches below bulls eye, so I'd like to bring them up that far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, that's "lollipopping". On old military guns, (such as the M1911) that was the correct way to sight and I'm sure others are similar. Since the 800's are three-dot sights, I would assume they are meant to be lined-up and the target directly behind the center dot. As I mentioned before, with this technique, mine is dead-accurate (when "I" don't screw it up). Give it a try and see what your results are. I have wondered at what range these (or any) gun with fixed sights are designed to be most accurate? Oh, are you shooting from a standing position or from a bench-rest? The rest will lessen the chance of you doing what I have been doing in that I push the barel downwards in anticipation of the recoil which makes my POI low.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts