Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Range Time
Purpose/Goals: 1) Fire a handgun for the first time (!); 2) run rounds through the 5 magazines I have to verify functionality; 3) fire FMJ and JHP rounds to verify clean feed/fire, and 4) see if I can even come near to hitting the target.
Rounds fired: 13 magazines of 12 rounds each (156 total) at 5 yards.
Results: 1) Firing a handgun - Ultimately I can characterize the experience pure humble exhilaration. I've concluded that no matter how many forum posts and internet articles you read or YouTube videos you watch, you must actually fire a gun to experience the “A-ha” moment that cements the true meaning and awesome responsibility associated with the Basic Rules of Gun Safety. I was fortunate to go to the local range with my son who’s much more experienced than I and he “showed me the ropes” and kept me safety-focused. Bottom line is that I am hooked on my new hobby!
2 & 3) All 5 mags worked flawlessly as did all 3 brands of FMJ and one brand of JHP ammo. I could not be happier with the Taurus’ operability.
4) It took about 5-6 magazines of slow shooting to get over the initial rush and settle down to focusing on the many nuances that lead to accurate shooting. Once there, I was able to get fairly consistent groupings (5-8 rounds) with several of the remaining magazines. My one common characteristic was the infamous “low left”. I used the three-dot straight lineup for my sight image and placed it directly over the target.

Second Range Time
Purpose/Goals: 1) Find a comfortable grip and 2) work on consistent motion to enhance my accuracy
Rounds fired: 13 magazines of 12 rounds each (156 total) at 5 yards
Results: 1) I worked on a couple grip variations and even got some advice from the helpful Range marshal on duty. 2) I started off with 4 magazines, all pretty much low-left again. (Let me state that after the First Range Time low-left experience I read everything I could find on the forum and elsewhere on the causes for inaccuracy and tried to incorporate the various suggestions.) As a person new to the art of handgun firing I firmly accept that most inaccuracies are driven by “user errors”. Again I concentrated on technique, etc. and was able to, for the most part, fix the “low” from the “low-left” but still kept having groupings to the left. Afterwards, while winding down in the break room, I was talking about my results with one of the range employees and the on-duty gunsmith happened to overhear and offered to take a look at my PT845. He did his thing with a micrometer, laser sighting tools, etc. and announced that the front sight was “way off” to the right, and he adjusted it - NO CHARGE (!). He said that would be a contributor to the constant left grouping.

Third Range Time
Purpose/Goals: 1) Check out the altered front sight and continue to work on consistent motion to enhance my accuracy
Rounds fired: 12 magazines of 12 rounds each (144 total) at 5 yards
Results: 1) Bottom line is that the major “left” experience I was previously having Was gone. I was able to “consistently” (5-8 rounds) group around the intended target. Please understand I still continue to have outlying fliers, etc. but I am very excited and confident that with continued dry-fire work at home and live fire work at the range I’ll continue to improve.

Footnote 1: I can’t express enough how appreciative I am of all the forum contributors that have shared their experiences and knowledge that I relied on and will continue to rely on to grow my expertise. THANKS!

Footnote 2: I really did not think anything was misaligned with my sights and had no intention of making any changes myself, primarily again due to advice offered throughout this forum that hammers home the fact that most accuracy problems are self-induced. I subscribe to the "presume it is your error and prove otherwise" philosophy. I was just fortunate to be in the right place/right time to have an expert align my sights.

Footnote 3: I am very glad to report that I have had ZERO problems with the PT 845 or the magazines. I of course cleaned/oiled the gun after each range session.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wow...I think he's hooked! Good for you!

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
Thank you for a very comprehensive and positive report. It sounds to me as though you really like you new gun. It is just the beginning.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 800 Series and own several myself. Congratulations on an excellent choice for a first firearm and thanks for such a comprehensive report. I like the methodical approach you are using and think it will help you improve in very short order.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Def hooked.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments back. I've been shooting a few more times and it just keeps on staying fun/interesting and humbling on the learning curve.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your helpful comments. Can't say enough how helpful this forum continues to be for me as a newbie.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! appreciate your feedback.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts