Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. I love mine. Since this is your first handgun, try to get some instruction, or at least check out some you tube vids & articles on grip, stance, posture & alignment, trigger control, etc. Handguns can be more difficult than rifles to shoot accurately, & compacts like the 709 can exaggerate your errors in form.
Field strip & clean it thoroughly before you fire it. Owners manual augmented by a few you tube vids will help there. Good luck & have fun with your new pistol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! As far as grip, stance, etc goes, I did take a handgun safety/training course before I purchased the gun so I am pretty comfortable with that stuff, although I am not an expert by any means.

I actually went and shot it this afternoon before saw anyone say that you were supposed to clean it first, but I didn't have any problems. I put a box of 50 rounds of PMC Bronze 180 gr full metal jackets through it, no FTF or FTE. I will give it a good clean before I do any more shooting though.

I can definitely see what you mean about exaggerating errors in form though...I wasn't very accurate with it to say the least :) I'm pretty sure it was more me than the gun though. It felt alot different than the other handguns I have shot in the past, so I think it will just take some adjusting and getting used to how this gun shoots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What was the grain/weight on the ammo you shot ? I'm looking hard at this gun and appreciate being able to come to this site and get real reviews. Was it pretty easy to handle, or did it leave your hand stinging a bit ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using 180 grain full metal jackets. I thought the recoil was very manageable. Honestly, with as small as the gun is I was expecting the worst, so it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I was with some of my friends and brothers, so out of the 50 rounds that were put through the gun, I personally shot probably 25, and I am fine. No stinging or pain in the hand at all.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The oil/grease that is in your gun when new is a preservative, not a lubricant. It will hold the grit and fouling that develops when you shoot and become abrasive to the wear surfaces of your gun. Field strip it ASAP, and get some cotton patches, an old toothbrush, and some q tips. Put a good solvent on them ( Hoppes #9 is fine) and clean all the old gunk & fouling out of the barrel, slide grooves, slides, & all the recesses & small parts inside the slide and frame. Get a pistol cleaning rod and a 9mm/.38 cal. Jag and clean out the bore with solvent. After everything is clean, I put a light grease on things that slide on one another like the rails and the undersurface of the locking lug and a very light coat of oil or CLP on everything else.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suggest you start with some lighter loads because the 740 is known to be a bit snappy until you get used to it.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. The 180 gr is just what the gunshop sold me when I got the gun. Plus, I'll take pretty much anything I can get my hands on right now :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been shooting 165gr WWB out of mine. Just tried some 180 gr JHP today, it had a little more snap but the difference was not all that much.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
:clap:Congratulations on choosing the Taurus PT740 Slim as your very first handgun!

The caliber is the choice of most law enforcement agencies across our nation; and the light weight, slim design, and rock-solid dependability of the 740 makes it a superb handgun for home defense or concealed carry.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
You picked a great weapon! Have had mine about 6 weeks, 300+ rds and not a single malfunction with numerous different ammo types. Shot low and left until I got the sights adjusted, now the first rd hits dead center at 7 yards. Then I work on fast double taps, all within center of mass 6" groups. Good enough for what its for. Easy to carry, and potent! Congrats, you'll love it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:clap:Congratulations on choosing the Taurus PT740 Slim as your very first handgun!

The caliber is the choice of most law enforcement agencies across our nation; and the light weight, slim design, and rock-solid dependability of the 740 makes it a superb handgun for home defense or concealed carry.
Thanks MilProGuy! I think I am going to be very happy with it. Initially it is going to stay at home, but I have already taken the NRA handgun safety class, and hope to get my concealed carry permit this summer :D

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I uise 165 or 180 - the latter a bit more snappy - but both work well in 740.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She will eat anything you give her!
Good, glad to hear it!

Congrats Austin :)

Love mine ..... it's my EDC :p
Thanks! It will be mine too whenever I get my concealed permit.

I uise 165 or 180 - the latter a bit more snappy - but both work well in 740.
Cool. I plan on getting some 165 next and just seeing which one if either I shoot better with.

Congratulations on your new firearm.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.