Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. After owning many various firearms from different manufacturers I picked up my second 1911, the PT 1911. My first 1911 was a Kimber TLE II that turned out to be a big disappointment. I wanted it so badly I traded 3 good guns for it: a Sig 220, Springfield XD 357 and a Glock 20. What a surprise I got when it turned into the worst jam-o-matic I ever owned. Even after a trip back to Kimber it came home with the same problems. To make a long story short it turned me off to 1911's for a few years. I ended up dumping it and leaving the gun shop with a H&K USP45 Compact model. That one is still with me today. I consider it to be one gun I will always have. It is a tack driver and now has many thousands of rounds through it without a single failure.

Then a few weeks ago I started hearing about the new Taurus 1911. I was intrigued by the value this 1911 seemed to offer for the money. It seemed almost too good to be true. I cautiously handled one in a gun shop and was pleased to see how well the frame and slide fit were done. Within a week I added it to my collection. My first trip out to the range proved the gun was totally reliable but at first accuracy seemed to be off. Groups were not bad at 10 yards, it was just grouping to the left of center. At 25 yards it was worse. With that I examined the gun and noticed the front site was tweaked over to the right. The thing was on so tight I had to have my gunsmith drill out the sight screw to remove the front sight and do an inspection. To our surprise on an otherwise well built pistol, the surface was off which caused the front sight to pull to the right when it was tightened down. He promptly smoothed the surface and reinstalled the front sight so it is now centered. I know I could have sent it back to Taurus. I just could not see going weeks without a new gun for something like that. So far I have about 350 rounds through it and will be testing the accuracy with the corrected sight this weekend. Despite this first bump in the road I am expecting good things from my new 1911 friend! More than half the battle to me was determining that it is reliable, and it is. I love the trigger pull on this thing and expect to shoot better groups with it.

With my shooting style I practice at all ranges from 5 to 100 yards. Yes, even with pistols just for the fun and challenge of it.

My roster of past and present firearms has included: 11 Glocks, 2 Sigs, 1 H&k (still with me), 1 Kimber, 3 Taurus(PT 1911 included), 1 Rossi, 3 Rugers (1 still with me), 4 S&W, 1 H&R, 1 Norinco SKS and one Remington 41.

This seems like a good informative forum. I will see about posting some pics soon. :)

·
32,615 Posts
Welcome to the forum and glad the PT1911 is working out for you. This should be a boon for those others sitting on the fence, about to purchase, or others who have them already. The PT1911 crowd is bigger here than in recent months.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Again the front site problem, I have one of the early release pistols and couldn't be happier with it but this seems to be an ongoing problem with there current production, I stopped by the gunshop I frequent and where I got my PT1911 and they had a new one just in I asked to look at it and in my opinion the front sight was tweaked to the right also so we put a laser boresight in it and it was off by1" at about 15 yds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
frostyeyes said:
Again the front site problem, I have one of the early release pistols and couldn't be happier with it but this seems to be an ongoing problem with there current production, I stopped by the gunshop I frequent and where I got my PT1911 and they had a new one just in I asked to look at it and in my opinion the front sight was tweaked to the right also so we put a laser boresight in it and it was off by1" at about 15 yds.
That seems to be a quality control issue then. I wonder if Taurus is going to do anything about this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the front sight moved over and centered the gun is now dead on. Today I tested it out at 10 yards then took some longer shots at 50 yards. It is very accurate at all ranges. I am now very pleased with this gun. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I figured you would be GW, when we go to our summer home in Mi. we put aluminum plates suspended at about 50 yds usual size is 12" by 12" and see who can keep it movin the longest, lots of fun and yes it's very accurate at that distance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
frostyeyes said:
I figured you would be GW, when we go to our summer home in Mi. we put aluminum plates suspended at about 50 yds usual size is 12" by 12" and see who can keep it movin the longest, lots of fun and yes it's very accurate at that distance.
That sounds like lots of fun! I have a sister and brother in law who live up in Mi. My brother in law tells me that he now has a CCW up there. I am glad the folks up that way have embraced CCW! Thanks for the input and showing me this forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GW45NUT1911

I had the same or similar problem. I too have the HD (Crimson Trace) which was worse then the front sight. I really believe its the people whom they hire. They play with the firearms. At any case I adjusted it & all was fine but more important is the front sight. That's what you will use probably instinctively. Remember it's a figure 8 and not 3 dot, very hard for me to get use to.

I contacted, Mr. Personality (Heinie) after reading an article last month about the same issue dealing with visibility vs alignment problems. His sight was actually better then the Crimson Trace, his suggestion after complaining, was "upgrade to the night sight".

Just telling you with any gun "these things" are always going to be. Yeah, a gun is a lot more serious then an office fan or car door but that's mass production. Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts