Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this pistol last week, and discovered the slide wouldn't lock upon firing the last round in the magazine. This problem occurred with both magazines.

Upon closer examination, it appears that the reason the slide doesn't lock is that the follower in the magazine doesn't engage the slide lock as it is supposed to. In fact, the portion of the slide lock that is supposed to be pressed upward by the follower to engage the slide lock actually comes up beside the follower (rather than on top of the follower). This causes additional problems – since the follower is wedged beside the slide lock lever, the magazine will not drop free and must be pulled from the grip.

As you can see in the attached photo, the follower is clearly not engaging the slide release. Is the follower misshapen, or the slide release too short?

It appears this problem is isolated, as I've searched and found no mention of others having this problem. I called Taurus, and they asked me to send the magazines back for replacement. I have a hard time believing that the problem is magazine-related. What are the chances of getting two bad magazines with the new pistol.

Of course, it's easier to send in the magazines for replacements than returning the entire pistol. The representative I spoke with on the phone indicated I should get the replacement mags within a week. Based on other posts, I would expect at least 8 weeks to get the gun looked.

Anybody seen anything like this before? I don't have another PT-145 (nor do I know anyone with one). Based on the photo, how does it compare with yours?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I saw this same problem in another spot and answered that one too. I have a PT745 with the same problem. Tried a new factory mag and same thing. I did send mine in just out of principle, but I think the lever is either too low or just misaligned. I didn't want to start hitting on it and break it. :-\
Nice picture BTW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: New PT-145 - slide doesn't lock back on empty mag ** UPDATE - SOLVED**

I called Taurus to check on the status of the return after posting the last message. They indicated that they received the package on January 14th -- I had sent it back on January 4th. After seeing that my problem wasn't an isolated one, I took the gun from the safe that evening to have a closer look at the slide release lever, and how it was connected to the piece that engages the magazine follower.

Realizing that the entire component should extend further into the body of the gun (and assuming that a piece like that shouldn't be that far out of "spec") I pressed the slide release lever in. I used my thumb and pressed firmly, and I felt it "click" -- it moved inward a bit -- probably not more than a millimeter. However, I didn't have any magazines to see if that made any difference.

Fortunately, the replacement magazines arrived on January 18th. Brand new, in the package, factory magazines. I inserted one of the empty magazines, racked the slide, and it locked back. Released and re-racked. It locked back. Tried the other magazine. It worked great. :clap:

I'm fairly certain the magazines were never the problem -- I think something with the slide release lever wasn't fully seated. Time will tell if it pops back out of place. (I did try to "pry" the lever back out to see if it would move, but it didn't.)

Hopefully, if anyone else experiences this problem, they can save the downtime and shipping costs of returning the gun and/or magazines to Taurus...

Hope this helps!
Todd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the range last week. Shot about 50 rounds and didn't have any problems. It doesn't appear that the slide release lever has moved at all, so perhaps the "click" I heard when I pressed it back in actually "locked" it into place. Only time will tell.

I must say -- I have a harder time hitting where I'm aiming than I do with my M&P. (By the way, I am using the proper sight picture for the Heine sights!) I'm sure it's just that I'm not used to the trigger yet.

Other than not getting good groups, everything is great with this new pistol...

Todd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts