Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here, this site was very helpful when I was deciding on my next gun purchase. I own a S&W Sigma in .40 cal, and wanted a compact .40 for CCW. The ergonomics of the Taurus felt very similar to the Sigma, which fits my hand well. And unlike a lot of the other compact .40's out there, I can get all 4 fingers on the grip. Based on suggestions from the board, I added a Houge Hand-all Jr grip, and went to the range today. 200 rounds of Winchester white-box 165 grain down-range, and no FTF or FTE. The only problem I had was dropping the mag, untill I got my grip sorted out. Since the trigger is lighter than my Sigma's, I am able to shoot much more accurately. My next purchase will probably be some night-sights, and a decent IWB holster that allows one-handed re-holstering.

On a side note, when I got the gun yesterday, I couldn't get the tenth round in the magazine. I picked up a Uplula loader at a gun show this morning, and #10 goes in smoothly. Best 30$ I have spent in a while.

Any suggestions on sights or a holster would be great.

Kevin

·
Registered
117 Posts
when i first got mine i ciuldnt either, but after a while it will fit pretty easily now, i guess that the spring needed broken in

·
Registered
319 Posts
You made a good choice in the PT140. I have one and love it. It is my principle carry piece. It is very comfortable IWB. I use an Don Hume model #53. It holds both my PT111 PRO and my PT140 PRO. It has an reinforced neck for one handed reholstering and feels great wearing it at 3 o'clock. You can't go wrong for about $35. These holsters are usually and INSTOCK item, so waiting for delivery is usually not a problem. I also have a paddle holster for both of the above pistols. It is an Fobus. Model #SP 11B. It is OWB and I use it when shooting on my pistol range or working outside here at home. It can also be used in public when wearing longer shirts. It is very comfortable and easy on and off. About $25 at Gander Mtn. or Cabela's. Remember most of the 3rd generation MIL PRO pistols will all fit the same holsters. Makes it a lot easier when you own several different Mil Pro pistols. Enjoy the 140.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just bought a 140 a few days ago and also had trouble loading the tenth round. Absolutely loved shooting the pistol. I was a little worried that there would be a bit too much recoil, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm using an Uncle Mikes IWB holster (around 4 o'clock) and seems to conceal great. But, I definitely need two hands to re-holster. Just hope I never have to take it out to re-holster...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently got a Mil Pro 140. I'm waiting for a new magazine catch release mechanism because mine did not work straight out of the box. Wouldn't feed due to dropping magazine. It is a common problem but somewhat easily fixed I guess. IT will still fire and feed but i have to wrap my pinkey around the bottom of my magazine. It is very common and the new mag release is on backorder at Taurus due to the high demand. You also may have trouble with the firing pin dust cover breaking off. I have 200 rounds through, 2 FTFs that went on the second pull. It is a decent gun with a few flaws that, like I said, should be easily fixed. I don't know if I'd start raving about it's quality however. It was my first handgun and I was definitely attracted to the price. For the price I feel it was a decent investment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I've just joined and recently asked for some help on the new PT140 Pro causing a blister during the 200 round break in range session. Lots of help and ideas. BTW, I had no malfunctions of any kind and am going to carry and use the 140 under seat of car. When I first used the Heine Staight 8 I didn't like it, but it was very accurate after I got used to it. To keep all my handguns, (or most all), presenting the same sight picture I decided to get some night sights. I found a company that did a lot of their work for government agencies, by the name of PT Night Sights. They have just machined a new batch of Mil PT140 Pro sights for $89 plus shipping. I chose tritium, front green and rear, two oranges. They look easy enough to install (with original bolts from your pistol used), and I'm going to install them myself. I know our local gunsmith good enough that I can take it all to him in a basket if they are harder than I thought. Anyway they look good, and the write-ups I've found on them has been excellent. There is a good link on their site that explains all the physics of tritium sights and if you can understand all of it, you took more physics in school than I did. I'll give you a report when I get them done in a couple of days. I assume they will fit a PT111 , but you know what is said about the word assume...

www.ptnightsights.com

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
yep the they will just make sure you order the right ones had mine in a week.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can't break the set screws loose on the pistol to remove the old sights. I don't want to booger them up, because PTnightsights don't send new screws with the sights, so I went to two gunsmiths and they said the same thing. "I don't know how I'm going to attack the problem myself and at no set price and $50/hr, I can't give you an estimate". Got any ideas anyone? The factory lock tited the hell out of those set screws.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hey Sidekick, Some have had success heating them up with a hair dryer and then trying to turn them. Sometimes a little heat can help break the locktite's grip.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
Another trick is to touch the tip of the screws with a soldering iron the little craft kind that looks like a big pen. It loosens up any Locktight that's been applied. Don't use it for long! just a few seconds! :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well thanks anyway guys...I used the soldering iron trick 'cause it put more heat on the screw, but no worka. Used everything from 5 seconds to two minutes and just twisted the allen like a barbers pole. Guess I'll take it to a friends gunsmith when he is open next week. Either that or get used to the Heines. They are accurate, but even with nitesiter's flourescent tape they aren't real night sights. If not done by end of next week , maybe some lucky person could own these PTnightsights.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also, I should add, PTnightsights said they reccomended sending the gun to them for installation of the sights for $15. I may still do that. You know the old saying, "for want of a dime, a dollar was lost...".

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
sidekick said:
Also, I should add, PTnightsights said they reccomended sending the gun to them for installation of the sights for $15. I may still do that. You know the old saying, "for want of a dime, a dollar was lost...".
Any gunsmith will install the sights for you for $15-20 while you wait. No need to send it off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks NYPD. I've tried 2 so far that weren't interested when I told them about the locktite. I have a good one to take it to next week. It's not that the gun is unusable in the meantime. The part timer at my range is wanting $50/hr and doesn't want to give me a flat rate and the guy at Gander Mountain acted like he was about to get off work and didn't even want to check the gun in for the night. Guess $30-$40 bucks isn't enough to get their hands dirty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts