Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an uneventful trip to the range I wiped the gun down and and loaded my protection rounds. I could barely rack the slide hard enough to chamber a round and the slide didn't seat properly. The guide rod wasn't flush with the slide. I got home, cleaned the heck out of the gun and it made no difference. It seems like it might be an issue with the recoil spring/guide rod assembly but I can't see anything that's different from before.

Until I get this fixed I'm left with a government 1911 for concealed carry and I really wasn't planning on winter wear for the 4th.

Please tell me this is common and an easy fix.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I'll start with a couple of basic ideas. Are you sure you have the guide rod in the right way? The bigger diameter spring should be at the muzzle end. The second thing is are you sure you have the guide rod end in the proper place on the block. There is a shallow middle "step" that the end should rest on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the recoil spring has sprung. The larger diameter spring now extends the entire length of the rod.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
It looks like the recoil spring has sprung. The larger diameter spring now extends the entire length of the rod.
That's can't be a good thing. Looks like a call to Taurus on Friday. I don't recall hearing of that problem before.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Taurus may just send you a spring under warranty if you call them; they may want you to return the defective spring. Or they may want you to return the entire gun. Taurus will pay for that shipping of the gun is less than 90 days old but it will cost you $50+ if you need to pay for shipping. If they want you to pay shipping it is probably cheaper to just buy one or two (they do wear out) recoil springs from them. Several Taurus parts have recently been classified as restricted (they won't sell you one) but I doubt that applies to recoil springs which are removed and replaced as part of routine field stripping.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Do take the advise above and call Taurus Customer Service as I too believe they will send you a replacement and if not, inquire about purchasing one. That would be cheaper than sending the gun in for repair.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Appears the formed flange to retain large spring has failed. Just curious - Does the spring assembly still have the correct length - fitting snug from muzzle to barrel step? Also, have you shot a lot big loads +P or 147gr?? Reason I ask is I CC with 147gr JHP in my 709 although I only shoot a hand full on range just to be sure they feed, but do shoot a bunch of 124gr and 115gr.

I bought spare recoil springs for most of my Tauri earlier this year, so I expect you can still buy and not restricted items. Also, per Taurus, the 709/740 use the same spring - I was told this when they sent me springs for 709 and 740 and the one for the 709 was too short and wouldn't 'snap' into slide/barrel step (when you rolled barrel it fell out). Said they were out of 709 springs, then said the 740 was same, so sent it and had me return the short spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like the flange has a bent spot. I guess the assembly goes back to Taurus. This pistol went back to fix a heinous trigger pull shortly after I bought it.

The funny thing is that yesterday I shipped both the magazines for my tcp to Taurus because of feeding issues in the magazines.

Taurus customer service has been fantastic for me. I just wish I didn't need to use them so much.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 709 last year, ftf,fte, and hard to rack the slide. Sent it to Taurus and it turned out to be a bent barrel. I have had nothing but 100% functioning until yesterday. I was shooting American Eagle 115 gr fmj at least 2 fte per mag. I have 2 mags and had the problem consistently with both. Ran a 100 rounds with nothing but problems. I was so upset that I just put it in the safe and didn't even clean it. I will tear it apart today and look at the springs and see if I can spot any thing else. I will also pull the magazines apart and check them out. The ammo I was using came from 2 different sources so I don't think it is an ammo problem. In happier days I would have just gone up to Wal-Mart and bought some WWB, but I guess now I will need to go on a hunt for a different brand of ammo. On a happier note my TCP ran perfectly and that makes me happy as it is my primary summer carry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On hold with customer service for 44 min and counting. I'll give up at 50 min and try tomorrow. Grrrrr!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Unfortunately, Mondays are a bad time to call, and especially around lunch time. Someone posted good times to call. I know they are putting in late hours too, so you might try a different time. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts