Taurus Firearm Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
.....Just a Friendly hint. Be sure you want this type of gun.....
What you mean "this type of gun?" It looks like dozens of others already on the market

·
Registered
513 Posts
What you mean "this type of gun?" It looks like dozens of others already on the market
"Looks", I suppose on a conceptual level all semi-autos look alike. But there really aren't dozens of this type. The GX4, P365 and Hellcat manage a 10-11 round magazine in a handgun the size of a .380 Glock. Sig really hit it first with the P365. Glock responded by making the 43 bigger? The SA released the Hellcat. S&W responded by making the Shield bigger? Now Taurus has the GX4 and it sounds like they put a lot of thought into it. This "type" of handgun is tiny. Some people with larger hands have a problem with that. Some people with weaker hands may consider them snappy. I'm accustomed to magnum revolvers and fat grip semi-autos and I've become fascinated with these little micros. I'm anxious to get my hands on a GX4.

·
Registered
164 Posts
"Looks", I suppose on a conceptual level all semi-autos look alike. But there really aren't dozens of this type. The GX4, P365 and Hellcat manage a 10-11 round magazine in a handgun the size of a .380 Glock. Sig really hit it first with the P365. Glock responded by making the 43 bigger? The SA released the Hellcat. S&W responded by making the Shield bigger? Now Taurus has the GX4 and it sounds like they put a lot of thought into it. This "type" of handgun is tiny. Some people with larger hands have a problem with that. Some people with weaker hands may consider them snappy. I'm accustomed to magnum revolvers and fat grip semi-autos and I've become fascinated with these little micros. I'm anxious to get my hands on a GX4.
I think of tiny as in 738, RM380, Spectrum , sig 238, I Have the GX4, its not much smaller than the G2c and I have G2c,111G2, &709 its more close to the 709, with more rounds , CPX 3 is close to the size but thicker and in 380, and then you have the CPX1-2

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think of tiny as in 738, RM380, Spectrum , sig 238, I Have the GX4, its not much smaller than the G2c and I have G2c,111G2, &709 its more close to the 709, with more rounds , CPX 3 is close to the size but thicker and in 380, and then you have the CPX1-2
More rounds in a compact package is the whole idea, with 10 or 11 rounds in a standard magazine vs 6. I consider the 709 to be huge compared to the current round of micro-9s, especially when you consider capacity. My Sig P365 is literally as small as my wife's 6 round Glock 42 in .380. My Hellcat and the GX4 are very close to that. The PT111 G2, G2C and G3C. I own the G2 and a G3C and they're closer in size to my Glock 26, 27 and 33. "Much" and "Close" is really a matter of perception. Some see it, some don't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the GX4, and planned on selling my G3C. First range time yesterday. The feel of the pistol in hand is very similar to my P365. The trigger, however is horribly stiff. I don't have a gauge but estimate the pull at around 7-8 (maybe 9) lbs. Hoping it will smooth out in time (or if I can figure out how the fire control until comes out). Ran about 160 rounds of 115gr ball through it, and with extremely slow fire, I can hit where I want, but with that heavy pull it is tough to stay on POA. Stopped for the day as I developed a blister on the trigger finger. Have to figure out how to smooth that pull out.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I bought the GX4, and planned on selling my G3C. First range time yesterday. The feel of the pistol in hand is very similar to my P365. The trigger, however is horribly stiff. I don't have a gauge but estimate the pull at around 7-8 (maybe 9) lbs. Hoping it will smooth out in time (or if I can figure out how the fire control until comes out). Ran about 160 rounds of 115gr ball through it, and with extremely slow fire, I can hit where I want, but with that heavy pull it is tough to stay on POA. Stopped for the day as I developed a blister on the trigger finger. Have to figure out how to smooth that pull out.
Seems like most reviews that the GX4 trigger is
5lb ish ?

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
well FOR ME --lots of companies can and do make super small , light pistols, and many have extended capacities.
But for me to make one that is comfortable to fire, feels right in the hand, is accurate, and DEPENDABLE is the key--the Sig 365 was what worked for me.
the great usual quality of Sig doesn't hurt either.
different hands and shooting styles may need something different, best trigger of the bunch so far that i have tried or fired,

Reactions: Buckeye!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I finally got to handle a GX4 today. It has a nice feel to it. The store has a no dry fire policy, plus all of their firearms have trigger locks, so I couldn't try the trigger. I'm sure I'll get one sooner or later. I even know what accessories I want.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
It all boils down to dependably , when it comes to a carry pistol …
Then size that you are willing to carry
Then a appropriate caliber for self defense

My Glock 20 .. is a dependable pistol .. in a very powerful pistol caliber , high capacity…
But .. it has its EDC limitations…

I mostly carry small frame revolvers
Small , dependable, in a proven self defense caliber
lacks in capacity five or six depending on flavor of chambering

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
I finally got to handle a GX4 today. It has a nice feel to it. The store has a no dry fire policy, plus all of their firearms have trigger locks, so I couldn't try the trigger. I'm sure I'll get one sooner or later. I even know what accessories I want.

yea thats Normally a sure NO SALE to this guy!
now IF its a collectors piece, a commemorative special run then yes i understand that but few guns fall into this .
Now i simply do not rack, dry fire the 2-3 K plus weapons (usually 1911) simply because i know I am not going to buy it and so no need to check it out to that extent for me.
but what i am or may buy I am going to check it out as throughly as possible before i think about buying it.

Reactions: Buckeye!

·
Registered
513 Posts
yea thats Normally a sure NO SALE to this guy!
now IF its a collectors piece, a commemorative special run then yes i understand that but few guns fall into this .
Now i simply do not rack, dry fire the 2-3 K plus weapons (usually 1911) simply because i know I am not going to buy it and so no need to check it out to that extent for me.
but what i am or may buy I am going to check it out as throughly as possible before i think about buying it.
The GX4, as is the case with most firearms I own, is a curiosity piece. I had no interest at first, but now I'm curious. It's not intended as a carry piece, just a new toy to take to the range. All of my carry guns are given a careful looking over before they leave the shop with me.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I got to fondle one yesterday. Felt good in the hand, but no manual safety. If I bought one it would be for appendix carry. Got to have a manual safety for that.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I could care less about another Micro sized pistol, especially in 9mm. I like handguns to be a little bigger than these types.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
I got to fondle one yesterday. Felt good in the hand, but no manual safety. If I bought one it would be for appendix carry. Got to have a manual safety for that.
Skeerdy Cat!---
2016-05-23 14.42.15.jpg

101 - 116 of 116 Posts